How to make Home Page and other non-forum pages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make Home Page and other non-forum pages

Does vBulletin offer admins the ability to create web pages outside the forums themselves? I am interested in basic pages like Home, Members, and a few other pages to support the forums. I have very little HTML/CMS knowledge. These pages would need to be integrated with the forums. For example, a single sign-in for the entire site, etc.

Thank you in advance for any information

The vBulletin 4 Publishing Suite contains a Content Management System and Blogs in addition to the Forums. This will allow you to create pages which utitlise a single sign-on to view/add content to.

We have a live demo of vBulletin 4 Publishing Suite, including full access to the admin control panel. You can set one up for your own use from this page (The demo is active for 24 hours. If you feel you need more time, send an email to [email protected] with the DemoID and ask for an extension.):

http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php
    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
    -
    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
    - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
    - "Quick Route" Interface...
    - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

Thank you.

I made a demo account but I need a bit of guidance as where to begin. I am looking to create a Home Page and a couple other pages. I see the "vBulletin CMS" section on the left under Settings. I've read a lot of the documentation but still don't know where to begin.

Comment

I'm trying to use the Demo area and I keep getting a time-out error. The rest of the internet is working fine for me. Error text: The connection has timed out. The server at demo.vbulletin.com is taking too long to respond.

Comment

Thank you. The demo seems to be working now.

I am having an issue using the demo. I am trying to follow instructions from a link you provided: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...me-of-Home-Tab

In the demo I went to Languages & Phrases --> Search in Phrases. I changed the 3 settings as directed:

- Phrase Variable Name Only
          - Case-Sensitive - Yes
          - Exact Match - Yes

I performed a search for site_tab3.jpg No Phrases Matched Your Query

I performed another search for site_tab2.png No Phrases Matched Your Query

Same result for site_tab1.png

I am disappointed to be struggling so much so soon. Any assistance you can offer would be appreciated.

Comment

That is not a phrase, it's a file. What are you trying to do exactly?
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

When I tried to click on each of those files, I received a message stating I did not have permissions even though I am signed in.

I am trying to make a couple pages for a website. Basically a Home Page, Members page, etc. I just need to understand exactly how to do this before purchasing the software.

I am trying to read other documents to help me and received errors stating there the attachment files are missing, which basically makes the thread not helpful --> http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/conte...g-your-Profile
              Last edited by mshanks; Mon 14th Feb '11, 3:21pm.

Comment

You can't do those types of customizations with the demo. That would require accessing the files on the server which we cannot allow.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Well now I am quite frustrated.

I have spent a few days researching various forum types. My end conclusion is vBulletin4 is the best forums being offered at this time. Accordingly I visited this site. I was hoping to find some nice user manuals which clearly shared how to set up Home Page, along with other pages. After my search came up empty, I created this post where I clearly shared my intentions. Trevor led me to the Demo area, which was clearly an error on his part. You can review this thread and I think you will agree. My time and efforts have been wasted. Not a big deal, I'll get over it. But also in this process I had to deal with your Demo site going down, and multiple "How-To" threads with links that are either unavailable or missing. More frustration.

I am making my best effort to set my past negative experiences aside and focus on my current situation. To the best of my knowledge vBulletin does not offer any form of Satisfaction Guarantee. If I purchase the product and it can't meet my needs, or if I simply cannot figure out how to do what is needed, then I will lose time and money in a wasted effort. Prior to purchasing the software I need to be 100% sure I can create a Home page and other pages. Ideally this can be achieved through the Demo site. Alternatively some videos or manuals which demonstrate the process can work. Otherwise I have no choice but to explore other forum solutions.

Comment

Not sure what you are asking but you do not use vB to 'create' a home page. It is not a website development program like Dreamweaver. That is something you would do on your own.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

An example vBulletin site I have found is http://www.eximiusclan.com/content/1-the-front-page

When I look at this site, I see it has 4 pages: Home, Forum, Blog, What's New.

It was my understanding (probably wrongly so) that the CMS package is what would enable me to create the Home/Blog/What's New page as in this example forum. Are you stating that vBulletin doesn't offer such functionality in any package? I would need to create the other pages with Dreamweaver or another program, then link the site into the forums?

Comment

The site you linked appears to be the standard VB Suite, with a custom skin from Bluepearl and a few mods.

Comment

So my question is....how exactly was the Home Page and the What's New page on that forum created?

What I was hoping to find is a response like....Go to the Admin Panel, choose Pages --> Create New Page....then you can select the page name, elements (login, # of columns, header, etc etc) and go from there.

My original question in this thread still remains. I just learned some html and css this week. My knowledge is very low in these areas. If I purchase the vBulletin software, can it help me in any way make the home page and other site pages? Or do I have to either create those pages in another application or hire someone to do it?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X