Testing 4.1.1. before buying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing 4.1.1. before buying

I have two licences - one domain running an old 3.6.8 on a site managed by someone else, and one with a 4.1.1 that I look after myself.

The guys running the 3.6.8 site are moving server. I'm suggesting they consider upgrading to 4.1.1, but there are obviously a few challenges in that for them. Two issues are ...
    1. It's a big site (2.5m posts), and
    2. They have a lot of mods installed

So they're understandably nervous about going to 4.1.1. but possibly having problems. Or more honestly, I'm nervous, as I'll maybe be helping them. I think I'm happy enough that I have a plan that should work but I don't want to buy another license for 4.1.1 only to find the problem in moving and upgrading isn't worth the trouble to them, or that say some key add-ons aren't available on 4.1.1. and they feel they're important.

So, getting to the actual question: I know it's permissible to have a second copy of vBulletin running for testing purposes, not on a live site. Fine with that. But can I install that second copy of my current 4.1.1 files on the other domain (the one currently running 3.6.8) to test the upgrade and sort out restyling and mods? Then if it all works fine and they're happy to move to 4.1.1 I'll buy a new license for them.

If so, I assume I'll need to copy across the new licensed files to their domain to get the licenses sorted properly? Or even a reinstall using the new downloaded files will probably be fine because I'll be able to save the style from the test site, then import that style to the correct licensed version of 4.1.1.?

Bit of a ramble so I hope that's clear.

i think you have everything covered there, as long as the test site is not visible to the world it should be ok..
    Simple Straight Forward EU cPanel vBulletin Web Hosting Provider.

Comment

The vBulletin License specifically allows for a test and development installation to be created. You can read the license at:

http://www.vbulletin.com/order/license_agreement.php

The specific clause is:
      If you have a valid licence, you may set up an additional test forum in order to test code, template and database modifications. To make this clear to us and our licence verification procedures, place it in a directory called 'testvb' and be sure to password protect it. It must not be accessible by the general public.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

ok, no problem with any of that. Thanks.

If they subsequently like 4.1.1 and I buy another license, do I just have to upload the new downloaded files to get the license correct on the site? Don't suppose it matters in the short term as it will work, but when it comes to the next version update I'm guessing the license on the site will have to match the purchased license or the update will fall over?

Comment

If they buy a 4.1.1 license, then they would enter the site url and when they do the upgrade, they would download these new files and upload them to their site and then things should be fine.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
          vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
          Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
          If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X