Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vB Questions

Hi.

1) If I use vB on Windows server will it be any reduced performance?

2) The host I am considering going with has a maximum size of 1GB database. Is this enough for a vB forum that's starting out to last a while? If I store attachments and other pictures on the file system, I wouldn't think the text in the database would get to 1GB quickly. If it does I should be able to afford a dedicated server.

Originally posted by Kensino
    Hi.

1) If I use vB on Windows server will it be any reduced performance?
    Only if it's badly configured. Same goes for any other web server... I run Windows for a few different vBulletin sites and we have no complaints.

2) The host I am considering going with has a maximum size of 1GB database. Is this enough for a vB forum that's starting out to last a while? If I store attachments and other pictures on the file system, I wouldn't think the text in the database would get to 1GB quickly. If it does I should be able to afford a dedicated server.
    It will take awhile to hit 1GB in DB size. Storing attachments in the file system is recommended for performance reasons and to conserve database size.
    To be updated...

Comment

I want to use windows because of the storage issue. When I try to store attachments and other files in the file system with linux I always run into permissions problems and I'm never sure how to setup the folders for access.

I think if I use a windows hosting then I won't have to setup any folder permissions? But do I have to save the attachment folders outside the root directory so people can't browse to them? I'm not sure if I can have that access on windows.
      Last edited by Kensino; Wed 9 Feb '11, 6:58pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Kensino View Post
        I want to use windows because of the storage issue. When I try to store attachments and other files in the file system with linux I always run into permissions problems and I'm never sure how to setup the folders for access.
        Hmm.. It's just one folder to set, not that complicated.

I think if I use a windows hosting then I won't have to setup any folder permissions? But do I have to save the attachment folders outside the root directory so people can't browse to them? I'm not sure if I can have that access.
        Then you should probably go with a Linux box then -- For IIS installs, I usually place the attachment folder at one level above and outside of where IIS is pulling the public facing data. You have to set permissions so that the web-server can read and write from that folder (normal web visitors cannot access it from a URL). You also need to know the full, true path to where the attachment folder. (Has to be set in the vBulletin AdminCP, so that vBulletin knows where the attachments are)

All of our stuff is dedicated, self-managed. Nobody touches our hardware except us. So, we have complete control over everything. If you're not sure about what you can or cannot control, then go with a linux install and ask for help. If you have a Windows dedicated server and know how to configure it, then that would be fine as well.
        To be updated...

Comment

Originally posted by ENF View Post
          Hmm.. It's just one folder to set, not that complicated.
          there are several folders, one for attachments, and then others for profile pictures and avatars and i think at least one more. if you don't allow attachments into the database you might as well not allow pictures or avatars in there either.

Comment

This is an example of how to do it!
            Testing the settings
            1. 2. 3.

SHOULD I BUY THIS STUFF???

TEST TEST

Comment

Originally posted by Kensino View Post
              there are several folders, one for attachments, and then others for profile pictures and avatars and i think at least one more. if you don't allow attachments into the database you might as well not allow pictures or avatars in there either.
              Err, Umm.. I missed the 'other pictures' part in the first post. Sorry.

Anyway, again, if you just create the folders and set the permissions and paths correctly - it works fine. No need to touch it again after configuring it. I work on linux environments too, and I can just usually create the folders, set the permissions, set the paths and be done with it.
              To be updated...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X