Updating from 3.8 to 4.1 - several questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating from 3.8 to 4.1 - several questions

I am currently thinking about updating my board from 3.8.4 to 4.1. I already thought about this many month ago, but then heard some reports about problems and difficulties in updating from 3.8 to 4.0. So I have some questions:

1. How easy is the update currently? Can I just close the board, upload 4.1 suite, start the update script, click forward a few times and I'm done? As I knew this from earlier updates?

2. I heard rumors where people had to edit php files to update / bring their board back up. Is this still needed?

3. How big is the impact of the update on my template? Everywhere I look I see this ugly, bright (personal opinion) 4.0 standard template. Do I have to completely setup my template from scratch or does 4.0 take over my old design?

4. In the past I paid a yearly license fee. This was pretty fair. Now I pay for a version only. Does this mean I have to pay for 4.2, 4.3, ... again? Or only for 5.0, 6.0, ...? And is there a development schedule somewhere? I don't want to pay today for 4.1 and tommorow 5.0 is released.

5. Finally please allow me to ask you about your personal opinion about updating from 3.8 to 4.1. I still see many boards also running 3.8 or even 3.7 or 3.6. Is it realy worth paying the 250$ for a new version or should I buy a short time update for 30$ and stay with 3.8? I know, this question is hard to answer. I just want to hear your personal opinion about that.

Originally posted by akonze View Post
    4. In the past I paid a yearly license fee. This was pretty fair. Now I pay for a version only. Does this mean I have to pay for 4.2, 4.3, ... again? Or only for 5.0, 6.0, ...?
    Only for 5.0...
    And is there a development schedule somewhere?
    For sure there is somewhere.With very flexible dates.

For the rest please click here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...roubleshooting

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Originally posted by akonze View Post
      Finally please allow me to ask you about your personal opinion about updating from 3.8 to 4.1.
      Depends. Do you have a bunch of vacation days you don't mind burning up just trying to brute force vB4 into doing what is so easily done in 3.8?

Comment

So, it is still very complicated to update? Isn't it a year ago since 4.0 was introduced? Why didn't they fix the problems?

Comment

The upgrade is actually very straight forward. feldon is referring to customisations he made rather than speaking generically.

You will need to re-do your style from scratch, yes. The vB4 template system is completely different to vB3 so you will need to restyle. Any modifications you have will also not likely work however you will be able to upgrade these if they are available.
          Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
          -
          *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
          - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
          - "Quick Route" Interface...
          - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X