• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamorreaner
    replied
    My Oppinion
    Short run: vB 3.8 > IPB 3.1 > vB 4.1
    Long run: IPB 3.x > vB 3.8 > vB 4.x

That vB is the market leader means nothing, considering how many people have left the boat last year (probably the worst year vB ever had). The Developers of vB 3 are all gone by now, so vB 4 is developed by someone else, more market oriented instead of future oriented. I guess vB 4 will need it time to become a good software but probably will never again be the market leader.

AddOns, right now vB has a better AddOn community than IPB and their system to browse through (vbulletin.org) is a lot easier than the IPB download section, on the other hand IPB always talks proud about having most of the vB AddOns already build in, don't know if that is actually true or not.

I've read a lot of statements of Ex-vB-Users at IPB, the biggest concern they have are the missing Usergroups, which are already planned for the future of IPB but probably will take their time. Also their CMS seems to be very good, but veeeeery difficult to get used to.

What I've seen in the demo of IPB is a not so good Styling system (vB's direction might be a better solution for the future) but its still a looooooooot better than what vB has right now.

Considering the developer teams. The InternetBrands developer team seems to have no plan of what they want to make out of vB, but they are very open to feedback, even if it takes some time to be implemented. The IPB developers have a plan for the future, they are not so open to users feedback, but if enough people demand something they are willing to consider it. If you talk about functions of vB there, the first response you get is something like "We are not vB and we do not take every function in which vB has.." even if its demanded by a lot of people. At least with the user groups the pressure of the Ex-vB-User seem to have there a little success.

I'm using vB 3.8 right now. At the moment it is not an option for me to jump over to 4.1 nor do I consider it in the near future, but I'm following interested the developement of IPB and I think thats the software I'll be using someday.

I hope I could help you a bit.

Leave a comment:

• AusPhotography
    replied
    We have been running vB since 3.6 and now at 4.1.0

I'm the tech guy (Kym - I'm using Rick's account (site owner) for licensing reasons)

I've written a tonne of vB addon code - it is quite easy!
    (Notable a Photographic competition system, doco in our Library (aka VaultWiki) http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...erview&do=edit )
    The frame work for addons is simple to work with.

We have used a few other addon products, skins and stuff from vBulletin.org. There are a lot of handy add-ons there.

Result - happy site members and a very functional photographic site!

Also:
    1. We only use the forum as we don't need either Blog or CMS

2. Major addons:
    - photopost gallery
    - VaultWiki for our reference library
    - various skins
    - vBadvance CMS (but only for a single front page, we could get away without it, I inherited it)

3. We wrote a navbar enhancer to give us a quick way for our member to get the links they needed
    Last edited by AusPhotography; Tue 1 Feb '11, 8:55pm.

Leave a comment:

• jamiedolan
    replied
    As a current IPB user, some of the reasons that I am strongly considering VB for my next forum include;

Interface / look / feel is more familiar to users; Large forums also all use VB
    More add-ons are fully compatible with vb
    There is a WYSIWYG editor for the CMS in VB
    Ipod app coming very soon to VB

Leave a comment:

• MrJuleff
    replied
    Originally posted by Jobe1986 View Post
    A more finite per usergroup per forum permissions set. Last I checked (I may be wrong) IPB has all of SIX very simpler per usergroup per forum permissions where as vBulletin (3.8.*) 24 more specific per usergoupr per forum prmissions. Sure in most cases the simple six are all you need but in some circumstances you may want to get more specific.

That sadly is about as far as my comparison between the two ever went but was enough to convince me against IPB.
    Yes IPB does come with 6 stock user groups, however, you can add more if you wish so this is not major, infact makes it less complicated

Leave a comment:

• Jobe1986
    replied
    A more finite per usergroup per forum permissions set. Last I checked (I may be wrong) IPB has all of SIX very simpler per usergroup per forum permissions where as vBulletin (3.8.*) 24 more specific per usergoupr per forum prmissions. Sure in most cases the simple six are all you need but in some circumstances you may want to get more specific.

That sadly is about as far as my comparison between the two ever went but was enough to convince me against IPB.

Leave a comment:

• MrJuleff
    replied
    Originally posted by AK Houston View Post
    Vbulletin definitely. It has way more features.
    like what ??

Leave a comment:

• AK Houston
    replied
    Vbulletin definitely. It has way more features.

Leave a comment:

• MrJuleff
    started a topic vB convince me!!

vB convince me!!

Hey guys

Im going to have to get a proper forum distribution very soon, and im looking at either Invision Powerboard or vBulletin. Now im posting this in both communities forums so i can have a clearer less biased view.

So which software is better and why??

This will be for a I.T review type website, with the possibility for a very large userbase.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X