Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What about the old forum structure when importing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about the old forum structure when importing?

I run SMF forum, but I want to switch to vBulletin but one major, gigantic, huge problem is that I currently receive 95% of my traffic from Google and if I switch to vBulletin the forum-link-structure will change.

Is there any good way to handle this so Google quickly understands that the content has moved. Any feature built into vBulletin for this?
    Can you believe this? The developers overlooked one of the most important features of a forum!
    VOTE HERE FOR:
    Alert/Notification when being quoted
    http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-8606

If your SMF board uses the default "index.php?topic=418909.0" linking structure, then you will lose any perma-linking setup you have with any Google Search Results until Google's spider crawls your updated site (you can submit an XML Sitemap to help Google do this, and vBulletin has a feature to help you do this). Google's automated services operate quite quickly on this level, so it shouldn't take more than a few hours once you've switched and imported. Note that any customer bookmarks/favourites will also become invalid.

If it is important to you, you may be able to preserve the old URLs by modifying your .htaccess files to accept the old URL format. I'm not going to tell you how to do this though, because Google is your best friend here.

Hope this helps.
    -- David.

If I spend much more time browsing these forums, I could be subjected to: 1. Burnt retinas, 2. Angry customers, 3. Lack of moderation, 4. Arguments.
    This used to be a nice place; what the hell's gone wrong?

Comment