Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish to convert from IPB - Doubts and Questions

Hi All

We have a fairly large IPB board and I wish to convert to vB for reasons I dont wish to share

We have over 3000000 posts and over 250000 members. I have good reason to believe that vB can support such database with ease.

Now the questions:
    • Is there a redirect (htaccess or otherwise) script available to seamlessly redirect users from Invision 3.xx structure to their "new" vB URLs? I cant lose any of the search engine traffic.
    • I read here that vB does not have dual username thingy that Invision has. IPB lets you chose a screen name and a login name. If this is indeed tru, I would like to por screen-names and NOT login-names. Possible?
    • Does vB also use MD5 hash for password storage? In which case, new passwords wont need to be generated for users. If not, does it auto-send all users their newly generated passwords after import?
    • I also read that there are Problems with QUOTE tag after import (Source)

I might post more questions as I explore

Originally posted by chillax View Post
    Is there a redirect (htaccess or otherwise) script available to seamlessly redirect users from Invision 3.xx structure to their "new" vB URLs? I cant lose any of the search engine traffic.
    No, we don't provide this however you may get assistance from another user who has done something similar.

I read here that vB does not have dual username thingy that Invision has. IPB lets you chose a screen name and a login name. If this is indeed tru, I would like to por screen-names and NOT login-names. Possible?
    The import brings over the username - anything different would require modifying the Impex code which we would not be able to support.

Does vB also use MD5 hash for password storage? In which case, new passwords wont need to be generated for users. If not, does it auto-send all users their newly generated passwords after import?
    No, it doesn't send an email automatically however we provide you with sample text in the manual that you can use to mail all users from the AdminCP with a link for them to reset it.

I also read that there are Problems with QUOTE tag after import (Source)
    There is a script that allows tags to be converted to the correct format for vBulletin. This is provided here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_cleaner
    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
    -
    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
    - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
    - "Quick Route" Interface...
    - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X