• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions before I buy

Okay, I'm a complete rookie to this. Never before made a website,
    a forum, anything. I have posted and moderated on vbulletin based
    forums before.

I just want to make sure vbulletin is the right match for what I want to do.

Let's say I want to make a forum for people with a specific interest.
    So I buy the vbulletin license for 200$, right?
    Now what? What's the easiest / cheapest way to host the site? Or is it already
    hosted? Like I said, I'm a total rookie.

Question #2, is it possible to create a landing page before going to the forums?
    Let's say I wanted people to be able to go to a webpage before they hit the forums. Do I need to register that website? Or can I create some kind of home page (without the
    forum.WEBSITENAME.com) using vbulletin?

Final question. I've played around with the 24 hour demo administrator panel, but haven't found a way to do this. I want a simple forum. I only want posts and private messages, and that's IT. Is there a way to turn off extraneous things like postcount, user group/rank, user profile, blog, group, etc...
    Or if it's not possible to turn all of that off, how basic can I go?

Thank you SO much for reading all of this and answering my questions.
    It means a lot to me. Hopefully I'll get the hang of things pretty soon.

You need to provide our own hosting there a few mentioned here in this forum that are very good.

You can make a portal with vBulletin vBadvanced is is free to use and integrates with vBulletin. There is enough stuff to find on these forums how to install vBulletin if you have no knowledge of this it will take you a few hours, some one that is experienced it will take like 15 min max, so do not expect that your site will run in one day. The people on this forum are helpful but it takes time before they answer the staff will give pointers to if needed.

The function in the admin demo is the full Suite just ignore the buttons Home (CMS) and Blog then you have the version you get with the forum only. Usergroups is needed to allow and disallow stuff on your board normal users are registered when the register people that don't are unregistered and can't do much on the board it's not advised to remove the default usergroups. Userprofiles is needed to allow people to set stuff in vBulletin it would diminish the function of the forum if you remove it. Other stuff like memberlist, Groups, my album you can turn off thats why you have usergroups to enable or disable stuff. You can turn off most stuff and if the oprion is not given usually it can be done by editing a template.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X