Advanced migration from phpbb3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced migration from phpbb3

I'm thinking about purchasing a license and migrating my forum from phpbb3 to vBulletin. I've been digging around but I haven't found much information on the migration tool or its robustness.

My phpbb3 setup is using phpbb-seo and mod_rewrite for search engine friendly URLs. In order to preserve links to threads I'll need to make sure 1) all topic, post and user ids remain the same as phpbb and that phpbb style links (showtopic?t=xxx etc) will still be valid. Is that a safe assumption?

I think, other than that, I should be alright, unless anyone has any other gotchas I should look out for.

Thanks!

Originally posted by qoncept View Post
    I'm thinking about purchasing a license and migrating my forum from phpbb3 to vBulletin. I've been digging around but I haven't found much information on the migration tool or its robustness.

My phpbb3 setup is using phpbb-seo and mod_rewrite for search engine friendly URLs. In order to preserve links to threads I'll need to make sure 1) all topic, post and user ids remain the same as phpbb and that phpbb style links (showtopic?t=xxx etc) will still be valid. Is that a safe assumption?

I think, other than that, I should be alright, unless anyone has any other gotchas I should look out for.

Thanks!
    In the documentation that is linked below (footer) there are some sections that give an impression what Impex can do.

The assumption that you make with phpbb-seo is not safe to make you need to re-write the old style URL (phpbb) to the new style of vBulletin.

Another issue that will happen is the passwords and usergroup permissions that is not transfered to the vBulletin install.

Comment

I just managed to find that documentation a minute ago. And updating my mod_rewrite rules should be easy enough. Looks like I'm all set. Thanks!

btw, mods, the "Before You Buy" thread is great, but wouldn't it make sense to have a link to that somewhere on the purchase page? If I hadn't had these questions there's absolutely no way I would have ever seen it.

Comment

Thanks dude sas

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X