vBulletin's performance against SMF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin's performance against SMF

I am having a SMF based forum and I decided to buy a dedicated server after 7 years shared hosting experience. But that upgrade didn't gone well and I am having web server issues right now (crashes). I've maintained a vBulletin forum for 1 year long and I think vBulletin won't have memory leaks and easy to customize along my needs.

What I want to ask is; will 512 MB RAM and Intel P4 2.4 enough for a vBulletin setup?
    My forum specs are: max 180 users online within 15 minutes, 6K unique visitors per day, max 30K pageviews.

I googled around and I came across 512 MB is a threshold of my needs and I understood I had to upgrade it. But I have done some "ab" tests (apache's tool) in current dedicated system and my memory usage went to 500MB physical and 1000MB swap. That means even I have 2GB RAM, I'll be living problems with SMF.

If you have 512mb I'd run 3.8 rather 4.x.

I mean, it's never quite that simple but that's a good general rule.

Someone will disagree with me shortly and tell me about their massively busy vB4 site running on 512mb or something.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

I didn't knew I could buy 3.8. I checked the main page and I saw 4.x family only. Also does it really make difference on performance side that choosing between 3.x and 4.x families?

Comment

Originally posted by OTEND View Post
        I didn't knew I could buy 3.8. I checked the main page and I saw 4.x family only. Also does it really make difference on performance side that choosing between 3.x and 4.x families?
        You can only buy a 4.x *license*, however you can choose to download 3.8 *instead* of 4.x (you can always switch later on but you can only run one instance per license).

vB4 is a little heavier on resources but it depends on your spec and level of activity. I've just upgraded from 3.8 to 4.0 on a VPS, I was a little worried it might slow up but it hasn't at all. In fact in one or two areas it's faster.

Perhaps the easiest way is to download 4.x first of all, and test it on a private URL, see what you think. If it zips along nicely then go with it, if it's a bit sluggish try 3.8 and see if that's any better.

To be honest there isn't a massive difference for most people, but a server that's already pushing it tight might struggle with 4.
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

I am planing to migrate to vBulletin, in case of performance increase. Choosing between vBulletin versions as you said can be done in time.

Comment

Nobody has same setup as mine? So I can take some advice?

Comment

Go with vBulletin 3 on those specs. I provide VPS servers with better specs than that for $15 per month.
              Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
              VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
              vBulletin Hosting and Services
              Server / Website Consultation

Comment

SO that means vBulletin 3 won't create issues and it won't crash apache?

Comment

SO that means vBulletin 3 won't create issues and it won't crash apache?
                  No one on earth can you ever give assurance that it would not create issues or crash the server.

Comment

Originally posted by we_are_borg View Post
                    No one on earth can you ever give assurance that it would not create issues or crash the server.
                    Yep you right, I am aware of that. What I thought is 512MB RAM is ok with vBulletin when having 180 users online. Else I am wrong?

Comment

Yep you right, I am aware of that. What I thought is 512MB RAM is ok with vBulletin when having 180 users online. Else I am wrong?
                      I've never tried it with that configuration myself. I also hope that you aren't intending on using a control panel on that server, i.e cPanel/Plesk etc. I would personally go with 1GB.

Whatever happens, you don't want to be using swap space.

Comment

Originally posted by Shamil. View Post
                        I've never tried it with that configuration myself. I also hope that you aren't intending on using a control panel on that server, i.e cPanel/Plesk etc. I would personally go with 1GB.

Whatever happens, you don't want to be using swap space.
                        In current SMF forum, if swap area began used by apache, then there is no turning back till swap is full and apaches crashes within minutes.
                        I have just server installation, no desktop interface, no panel, nothing.

Comment

In current SMF forum, if swap area began used by apache, then there is no turning back till swap is full and apaches crashes within minutes.
                          I have just server installation, no desktop interface, no panel, nothing.
                          Upgrade RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shamil. View Post
                            Upgrade RAM.
                            I'll be doing that. Thanks for the info.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X