Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing from phpbb3 to vBulletin - Some advice please :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing from phpbb3 to vBulletin - Some advice please :-)

As the title suggests, I'm looking at changing my existing forum.

What I would like to do is set the VB forum up under a different domain name that I use for testing and once I'm happy with everything, move it over to the proper domain. Is this possible with a single licence or do I have to install immediately to the correct domain?

How easy is it to import my existing database of members/threads etc? I believe all users would have to reset their passwords?

My main reason for wanting to change to VB is that I believe it offers far more flexibility with regards to expansion and mod installation should be a lot easier, am I right in this thought?

Many thanks in advance,
    Justin

Yes, you can change the domain as long as you are only running one copy of vB at a time.

Please read the online Impex import instructions here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex

And yes, since phpBB3 passwords are encrypted they cannot be imported. Your users will need to reset their passwords after the import. You can read more about this here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_passwords
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by jnmann View Post
      As the title suggests, I'm looking at changing my existing forum.

What I would like to do is set the VB forum up under a different domain name that I use for testing and once I'm happy with everything, move it over to the proper domain. Is this possible with a single licence or do I have to install immediately to the correct domain?

How easy is it to import my existing database of members/threads etc? I believe all users would have to reset their passwords?

My main reason for wanting to change to VB is that I believe it offers far more flexibility with regards to expansion and mod installation should be a lot easier, am I right in this thought?

Many thanks in advance,
      Justin
      You can also set up a test site at any time, so even when you're running a live copy of vB you can test your next upgrade on a private (non public) test site.

By "private", it has to be htaccess password protected.
      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Many thanks for the replies

I was about to buy the latest version off VB but have just been offered v3. Are there any major differences that should make me swing either way? Obv. v3 is being sold a lot cheaper but I want to make sure I make the right decision.

Justin

Comment

ok man

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X