Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nakedanvil
    replied
    Ads are just a choice. We probably won't find an example that is exactly what you want.

Leave a comment:

• paul1972
    replied
    Originally posted by beiamerica View Post
    This site may be setup like you want: http://www.city-data.com/forum/
    I dont see any ads on that site

Leave a comment:

• beiamerica
    replied
    This site may be setup like you want: http://www.city-data.com/forum/

Leave a comment:

• Digital Jedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
    The way you want to set this up will require a separate license for each forum.
    Isn't he just asking about subdomains?

Separating content and forum styles by using subforums and forumdisplay links within a single domain is allowed because that functionality is built-in to vBulletin.

Leave a comment:

• Digital Jedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Project-Buckfast View Post
    You sure you can't set a forum to be searchable or not? I thought you could.
    Well, yes actually. You've always been able to search an individual forum. And "Search This Forum" has always been an option in each individual subforum.

Leave a comment:

• Project-Buckfast
    replied
    You sure you can't set a forum to be searchable or not? I thought you could.

Originally posted by paul1972 View Post
    if done this way, and a member does a search, will it show results for all 50 states?
    Yes because everything is in the same database.

Leave a comment:

• we_are_borg
    replied
    I would first look on vBulletin.org if something exist like this, you can also ask for paid and unpaid add-ons.

Leave a comment:

• paul1972
    replied
    Originally posted by CvP View Post
    both of these can be achieved with a little modification to the code.
    who can I hire to modify the code?

Leave a comment:

• Riasat
    replied
    if done this way, and a member does a search, will it show results for all 50 states?
    what about running ads. Will the same ads show up on each state or can I have different ads for each state?

thanks for your help !!
    both of these can be achieved with a little modification to the code.

Leave a comment:

• paul1972
    replied
    what about running ads. Will the same ads show up on each state or can I have different ads for each state?

thanks for your help !!

Leave a comment:

• we_are_borg
    replied
    Well vbulletin.org has something like this its not 100% the same but it comes close.

Leave a comment:

• paul1972
    replied
    do you know of any sites that are set up like this so I can take a look?

Leave a comment:

• we_are_borg
    replied
    Yes because everything is in the same database.

Leave a comment:

• paul1972
    replied

Leave a comment:

• we_are_borg
    replied
    Is there a way to set it up so that a member from Utah that registers under the utah.cartalk.com can still be registered on the other 49 states?
    If you only want one license i would do it like so:

1. You only have one install that runs under cartalk.com
    2. You make forums of all states in does forums you make sub-forums Example:
    Main cartalkforum
    -Announcements
    -Chit Chat
    -Etc
    -Etc
    Utah
    -Announcements
    -Utah Chit Chat
    -Utah Cars
    -Etc
    -Etc
    State2
    -Announcements
    -State2 Chit Chat
    -State2 Cars
    -Etc
    -Etc
    State3
    -Announcements
    -State3 Chit Chat
    -State3 Cars
    -Etc
    -Etc

You get the idea now comes some tricks with the settings in vBulletin it self you can make the Forum Utah invisible but if you know the URL its still accessible so we go and make use of that and do this with all States. Then you need to edit the navigation bar and make some sort of option that people can switch to one state to another this needs to be done else vBulletin can say your hiding stuff and you do not want that, the navigation bar needs to look the same also do not alter the breadcrum so that it looks like another forum in it self.

Now you need to make some cleaver linking for subdomains you make the subdomain utah.cartalk.com and redirect it to the right forum the direct URL. You can also make a htaccess that does this. Because everything looks the same for all states even cartalk.com it self it should not be against the license agreement. Also i'm not cloacking anything also the license agreement says
    Separating content and forum styles by using subforums and forumdisplay links within a single domain is allowed because that functionality is built-in to vBulletin.
    This is exactly what you will be doing all functions is build into vBulletin it self.

Also you can make the same as here on vBulletin like this link http://www.vbulletin.com/go/demo you can make something like http://www.cartalk.com/go/utah and direct it to utah.

When you do this then people only need to register once at cartalk.com and can talk on all states.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X