No announcement yet.

vB v3 Feature List?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because you know we purposely did nothing to it so it would take up as many resources as possible

Comment

cool beans

Comment

I'm thinking you can select threaded or flat on the fly but I don't know. John is coding it, so ask him

Comment

uhm

I currently REALLY REALLY REALLY like the way the threads are displayed ..

I dont mind the 'option' to change.

And I also dont mind that users can do this too
          but I would like as an admin to select if users can do this or not.

------ views ----- [acp]
          flat / thread ( ) / (x)
          ------------
          ascend. / descend. (x) / ( )
          ------------
          for whole board / let users choose ( ) / (x)
          ------------------------------

Comment

I have an 800Mhz Athlon with 1GB RAM. I get 55,000 page views per day. 3500 visitors. We typically can see load averages at peak times with 250 people on around 5.0 to 20.0. How is it that sitepoint can run so many more views on a less equipped machine. What config issue could I be missing? I set my database configs to Eva's suggestion and the slow queries are 0 or 1. Is all the load coming from the "gzip" function (set to only 1)?

I was getting ready to setup an addtional server plus upgrade my current to dual 1Ghz and 2GB ram but if you can get these kinds of numbers out of this hardware I'd rather figure out how to do that. Running redhat 6.2. MySQL 3.23 and PHP 4.05.

Any pointers would be great and save me some hardware money!
            Marc
            -------

Comment

i have a suggestion:

- Allow to ban user of 1 forum, not of alll forums, setable the forum by admin CP..
              -Allow to Moderator ban user from that forum of this moderate, baning by IP/email/User Permissions on the board..(more user can post/view others board..)
              -xHTML Transitional 1.0
              -Last post of the forum on Forum Home Page(=UBB)

That all folks..

GoodBye

Comment

Originally posted by mvigod
                I have an 800Mhz Athlon with 1GB RAM. I get 55,000 page views per day. 3500 visitors. We typically can see load averages at peak times with 250 people on around 5.0 to 20.0. How is it that sitepoint can run so many more views on a less equipped machine. What config issue could I be missing? I set my database configs to Eva's suggestion and the slow queries are 0 or 1. Is all the load coming from the "gzip" function (set to only 1)?
                We have several measures in place....
                1) Almost all images are served from another Webserver application on the same machine. This prevents spawning an Apache process with all its modules that eat up resources and memory. The outside webserver just serves images so it doesn't need to do anything fancy.
                2) We are constantly tweaking MySQL and don't just install a new upgrade because it is available. It has to offer documented performance increases (we are currently using 3.23.36).
                3) Both PHP and Apache are custom compiled to our server. We don't use the RPM modules.
                4) We don't use Sendmail but instead use QMail which is faster and uses less memory.
                5) On the main network, all advertising is served from off site from a third-party which also validates our advertising invoices.
                6) Ripcord - This is a script that was custom written and will pull the plug on MySQL if the load gets too high. MySQL seems to be the culprit of any spikes we have so restarting it occasionally keeps the server running well. The average restart takes 15 seconds or less.
                7) Custom programming and optimizations performed thoughout the site and server applications whether it is a tweak to vBulletin or PHP itself.
                8) 24 hour monitoring is in place that will notify people via SMS the second there is a problem. Since we have people in Australia and North America that can handle problems they are always handled promptly.

We also have 6 programmers and 2 network administrators plus the folks at Rackspace at our disposal to make sure it works.

p.s. We use vBulletin's gZip implementation in the forums and ob_gzhandler for the rest of the network and hosted sites.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thank you for the information! This will help quiet a bit...I had never though of setting up a stripped down apache httpd on the same machine for the images...That is really a great idea and I'm sure it will cut down on my RAM requirements and resources considerably.

I also, like you, custom compile apache and php...been doing it that way since the early days in 96 and don't like the preconfigured rpm's as there is less control. Is there anything I should compile in or tweak (flags, modules, etc.) that I might be missing in my custom compiles? Also, do you use KeepAlive on or off in apache and what do you set your spare servers and such to if you don't mind me asking.

I will check out Qmail...Using sendmail now (which also has the problem of sending mail as user "nobody" and thus some aol and hotmail filters as spam - do you have that problem with Qmail?).

We don't have ads yet but are looking at PHPadsnew. I want to serve a topic specific banner in each sub-forum. Are you doing this at sitepoint and can you give a general idea if so what is the cleanest way to do this?

We are also at Rackspace but I do all the admin myself...any guys there that you would recommend that can help.

Thanks again. I'm going to investigate Qmail now and recompile a stripped apache for the images.

Marc
                  Marc
                  -------

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
                    It has not been determined yet whether it will be an admin-only board-wide option or an individual user option but there will be a way to turn it off.
                    hi!
                    If there will be individual user option for threaded/non-threaded view,
                    please include an option for admin to disable the user "switch"
                    ( then if admin decides so, there can be only one view mode )

Thanks in advance

Burns
                    Popotan Fanlisting
                    Rizelmine Fanlisting

Comment

All user options can easily be disabled by the admin by editing the templates.

Comment

sorry wrong area
                        PLEASE VISIT US HERE. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Comment

Originally posted by jmd
                          sorry wrong area
                          hm ?
                          what does means "wrong idea" ?
                          which idea ?

If you mean "useless" ( useless for you ),
                          i could say 90% of requested features are useless,
                          or could even cause problems,
                          but should i post under every feature request, i dont like,
                          "sorry wrong idea" ?
                          Popotan Fanlisting
                          Rizelmine Fanlisting

Comment

Burns read the post

It says sorry wrong area.

I posted in the wrong area.

Not wrong idea

Comment

ok... sorry...
                              Popotan Fanlisting
                              Rizelmine Fanlisting

Comment

Thats ok

I just bought my first VB.

I hope to get it installed Sunday morning.

Looking forward to it.

I was on the demo admin pannel wow that's quit the set up.

Makes Ikon board look mickey mouse LOL

Cheers

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X