Is it legal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it legal?

We have a 3.8.3 forum installed and running on server (A). We are planning to buy a new vBulletin Publishing Suite License. Before I ask my questions, I want to clarify our situation.

Our forum:
    - is suffering from hangs from time to time because of installing and uninstalling a lot of hacks carelessly which cause some database problems.
    - is running on a week server (A). Therefore, we cannot do database modifications and forum upgrading tests on the same server.
    - cannot be closed for more than 3 day or a week, maximum.

So, we have bought:
    - a new server (B).
    - a new test domain that will be used on the new server (B).

According to vBulletin Software License Agreement
    You may set up one additional temporary test forum for the purpose of testing code, template and database modifications. Such a test forum must be password protected, and not made available to the general public at any time.
    We have decided to do the following:
    1) Copying the content form server (A) to server (B). Public still access our old server (A).
    2) Using passwords on server (B). Therefore, publics cannot access the new server (B).
    3) Doing database modifications, Upgrading to version 4 and Template testing on server (B).

We expect that It will take a month to achieve our goal of fixing the database problems, upgrading the forum and coding the new template successfully.

At this point, We will:
    1) close server (A).
    2) copy the content form server (A) to server (B) which will be closed too.
    3) do the modifications and the upgrading.
    4) delete the content from server (A).
    5) open server (B) to the public using the old domain.

Is it legal to do that? or should we buy a new license for these test processes?
    If it is legal: Do we have to do anything else related to the license?
    Last edited by mazoo; Sat 4 Dec '10, 4:06am.

As long as the test install is password protected and not public you should be fine

open a ticket with your post above and they'll give you an authoritative answer

Comment

By the sounds of it that's all perfectly legal.

You are entitled to make a copy of your site for testing purposes, as long as it is password protected (not just closed) and not at all visible to the public.

The company recommend that you install this in the folder www.yourdomain.com/testvb to avoid any doubt, though this is not essential.

I have mine set this way...this is an example of how it should appear to the public:

http://www.bowlandcentral.com/testvb
      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

You can create a test copy of your forum, just as long as you name the directory (test-site), I think? And have it password protected using ".htaccess", so only you can access it.

I'm pretty sure vBulletin understands there are times when a person needs to create a cloned test site of your live site for making changes and testing them. Just as long as you follow the guidelines above.

Comment

As others said, you don't need another license for this.

Comment

Originally posted by punchbowl View Post
            open a ticket with your post above
            Where can I do it?

punchbowl, Mark.B, MRGTB and CvP thanks a lot.

Comment

What you posted looks perfectly fine. You are only running one instance live, and the other is being used for testing purposes.

Tickets may be sent via the link [email protected]

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
              vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
              Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
              If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
                What you posted looks perfectly fine. You are only running one instance live, and the other is being used for testing purposes.

Tickets may be sent via the link [email protected]
                Can you confirm that the testing instance should only be available to you, and not to a select few members of your community?
                Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                vBulletin Hosting and Services
                Server / Website Consultation

Comment

If you need to have your moderators log into the test site to try certain things, then that is fine. You cannot just have some active forum behind an htaccess file though and call it a test forum. It needs to only be used for testing purposes.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                  vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                  Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                  If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Thank you Lynne.
                    Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                    vBulletin Hosting and Services
                    Server / Website Consultation

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X