Pre-purchase Questions. Guide me pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-purchase Questions. Guide me pls

Hi, I am new to this forum but am participating in some forums as an active member and thinking to setup a forum and own it. Can anyone help me by giving some good suggestions like……?

1. What is the cost of 3.8 and 4 suit versions in VBulletin? And what is the time period for license expiry?
    2. Does 4.0 and 4 suit have shout box?
    3. Do these versions have automatic updates?
    4. Once I pay through online in how many days I’ll get my software?
    5. Who is the best and trusted web host service provider?
    6. How much Disc space and bandwidth should require running a medium size forum?
    7. What can I expect from the web hosting providers?
    8. Is it easy for me to host myself the forum or else I should take any help from others?
    9. What are the system configurations and requirements should I have?
    10. Is VBulletin forum search engine optimization?
    11. Is VBulletin forum secured from the hackers?

Kindly help me in this regard.

Expecting an early reply

Thanks in advance.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

1. Only vBulletin 4 is avilible and the cost is 195 dollars forum only and 285 for the suite version.
    2. Not out of the box but there are add-ons at vbulletin.org
    3. No you upload the new files and execute a script.
    4. Usually within a few hours but it can happen that a transaction needs to be looked at then it takes one business day.
    5. You need to look around http://www.webhostingtalk.com is a good place to start.
    6. Disc space not much but bandwidth is another thing the more the better. (50Mb for the software and that high side)
    7. Service stability and so on.
    8. Better not host it your self provider is best for you because you are new.
    9. Config and minimum requirements are in the pre-sale forum in a sticky.
    10. Yes and no there a few issues but there are add-ons that you can use.
    11. No because there always smarter people out there, that said it has the normal features to prevent hacking of your forum but you can never rule it out that it can happen.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your prompt replies.

Still I have some doubts.

1. I have chosen justhost.com to host the VBulletin. Is it compatible to run this software on justhost.com?
      2. Can i get support from VBulletin to host VBulletin4.0 on justhost.com myself?
      3. What are the requirements i.e tools/applications should I expect from them to run VBulletin uninterruptedly?

I am planning to online my forum before Christmas. I am waiting for your kind advise.

Reply me or send PM ASAP.

Comment

1. vBulletin requires PHP minimum version 5.2 and MySQL minimum 4.1.0 installed. As long as your host that meets these requirements you will be able to install and run our software.
        2. Not sure what you mean?
        3. See above.
        Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
        -
        *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
        - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Thank you and I mean, as you said, if every thing is ok is there any special knowledge is required to install and run this software? For that do VBulletin will help me in this regard?

Comment

If you're unsure about whether you will be able to run the software, the first thing I recommend is using our vBulletin demo to get familiar with everything it takes. It can be a complex task, and you need to be sure you're ready to tackle it.

You can set one up for your own use from this page:

http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php

The demo is active for 24 hours. If you feel you need more time, reply to this ticket with the DemoID and ask for an extension.

You will also want to use our manual as a reference while learning the controls. The manual can be found here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/

It covers most of the basic controls for operation of the software.

Regarding installation, provided you read the instructions carefully, you should be able to install the product OK. Please also see the guides here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/conte...nstall-Upgrade

Alternatively, you can purchase our Professional Installation Service when you buy the license.
            Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
            -
            *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
            - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
            - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Thank you Trevor Hannant, Let me try for them. Once again I thank you all for your fabulous efforts.

Comment

Purchasing vBulletin 4 provides access to all vBulletin 4 versions from 4.0 to 4.9.9 as well as the latest version of vBulletin 3.8.6 and some day 3.8.7.

As far as a hosting provider, WebHostingTalk.com is a good site to look at. You should be able to start out your forum on a host with a monthly cost of about $8-12. As long as it's PHP/MySQL and not a fly-by-night. I prefer cPanel control panel and non-Microsoft server, but it will work on a range of setups.

Comment

Thank you feldon.

Comment

Thank you feldon.

Comment

Hi we_are_borg, TrevorHannant and feldon, thanks for your help in purchasing and maintaining VBulletin forum. With the help of your support I am now running vb 4.1.0 (www.youngtalks.com) successfully.

Once again thanks to all.
                      Last edited by nalinikpriya; Sun 27 Mar '11, 9:05am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X