Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4.0 worth getting or holding off?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by FreshFroot_ View Post
    If I remember correctly... vB5 should be here VERY soon in under 1 yr.
    Unlikely.

    You're referring to Ray Morgan's old posts, it's been stated that that is not the current situation.

    I'd be surprised (and extremely cross!) to see vB5 in 2011.

    Leave a comment:


  • carntheroos4eva
    replied
    Originally posted by PhoenixRising21 View Post
    We are up to 4.8 now not 4.1 where you been anyway?
    4.0.8 is what we are up to.

    Leave a comment:


  • FreshFroot_
    replied
    Originally posted by alfanexus View Post
    vb5 is probably several years away, so dont wait for that. You might want to wait for 4.1 (out very soon) not becaurse there is anything new compared to vb 4.0.x but there are some bugfixes and changes in stylevars.
    If I remember correctly... vB5 should be here VERY soon in under 1 yr.

    Leave a comment:


  • Frost5334
    replied
    Re: 4.0 worth getting or holding off?

    I would buy it.

    Leave a comment:


  • alfanexus
    replied
    Originally posted by PhoenixRising21 View Post
    We are up to 4.8 now not 4.1 where you been anyway?
    4.1 announced here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...-a-Public-Beta its still a public beta but should be out as a release soon.

    Leave a comment:


  • PhoenixRising21
    replied
    Originally posted by alfanexus View Post
    vb5 is probably several years away, so dont wait for that. You might want to wait for 4.1 (out very soon) not becaurse there is anything new compared to vb 4.0.x but there are some bugfixes and changes in stylevars.
    We are up to 4.8 now not 4.1 where you been anyway?

    Leave a comment:


  • Garamond
    replied
    Originally posted by rudedog1968 View Post
    Do you have a heavily modified install of 3.x?
    Do you have a custom Theme?

    If you answered yes to either of these questions then no.
    Agreed.

    Leave a comment:


  • alfanexus
    replied
    Yes I think vb4 is worth getting, and I would recommend the full community suite even if you dont plan to use all of its features, the widgets in the CMS are great for creating a custimized startpage.

    vb5 is probably several years away, so dont wait for that. You might want to wait for 4.1 (out very soon) not becaurse there is anything new compared to vb 4.0.x but there are some bugfixes and changes in stylevars.

    And yes it is stable and ready for production enviroment, but offcaurse there are still bugs and I feel the product needs to be ploished somewhat before it really shines, but I still recommend it.

    Leave a comment:


  • we_are_borg
    replied
    The problem that you will face from updating vBulletin 3 to vBulletin 4 that you need to check everything the best way to do this is make a backup of vBulletin 3 and test with the backup what problems you will face. Style and even add-ons you will need to check most of them (99,99%) will not work on vBulletin 3. Don't look to other sites you need to focus on your own site and fix stuff that you will encounter the higher the modifications and alterations to styles you made the harder it will be to switch (main reason that most will stay on version there running). What holds true for other sites that they can't switch because it will cause problems maybe only a small issue for another site.

    Leave a comment:


  • rudedog1968
    replied
    Do you have a heavily modified install of 3.x?
    Do you have a custom Theme?

    If you answered yes to either of these questions then no.

    Currently 98% of IB's (parent company of vBulletin) own sites, as well as vbulletin.org (official site for mods and enhancements for vbulletin) use an old version of the forums because they can't upgrade their own forums to meet their own needs currently.

    Late last night vB released the milestone of 4.1 beta. This was suppose to completely overhaul the stylevar system so you didn't have to fix your site after every "MINOR" upgrade (which has all included security and bug fixes).

    As for v5. As a lic, customer we don't really like talking about the next version as most of us can't run the current version because of the issues mentioned above.

    Good luck.

    Leave a comment:


  • carntheroos4eva
    replied
    Worth getting.

    You will be waiting too long for 5.0 to come out.

    Leave a comment:


  • jononline
    started a topic 4.0 worth getting or holding off?

    4.0 worth getting or holding off?

    I have 3 X version

    Anyone tell me if 4.0 is worth getting and if so is it worth getting the full community or just the forum part?

    Is it stable?

    Is a 5.0 on the horizon and worth holding off until that comes out?

Related Topics

Collapse

Working...
X