Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evaluation vB - Requesting info on possibilitiy of few customizations

Hello,

I'm evaluating vB and have used the vB demo. I believe vB will fit my requirements albeit with few customizations.

I would really appreciate if vB folks here could clarify the below points so as to be able to understand if these can be accomplished by mere setting changes or would require customization.
    1. Is it possible to disable 'Group Discussion' and rather forward the user to a particular forum? I feel 'Forum' is a better place for discussions as it is more structured, rather than a free flowing 'Group Discussion'.
    2. What kind of effort estimate can you provide to customize something like 'User Rank' to 'Group Rank'?

Warm Regards
    Regards,
    Admin, SukoonGhar
    www.sukoonghar.in

Yes, most everything in vB has an on/off switch that is easy to configure.
    Its as easy as either setting up ranks via the admincp, or editing the templates to add them via template conditionals.

Comment

Originally posted by EighteenDots View Post
      Hello,

I'm evaluating vB and have used the vB demo. I believe vB will fit my requirements albeit with few customizations.

I would really appreciate if vB folks here could clarify the below points so as to be able to understand if these can be accomplished by mere setting changes or would require customization.

1. Is it possible to disable 'Group Discussion' and rather forward the user to a particular forum? I feel 'Forum' is a better place for discussions as it is more structured, rather than a free flowing 'Group Discussion'.
      2. What kind of effort estimate can you provide to customize something like 'User Rank' to 'Group Rank'?

Warm Regards
      Hi, welcome to vB forums.

1) Groups controls are a little bit less granular and not very customizable currently; you can't really customize custom group discussion urls; the group controls are more global. Although, something like this could be added as a plugin - this sounds like a failry basic vB product in terms of requirements and execution.

2) Define customization requirements for ranking please? There is a good bit of flexibility right out of the box from user promotions and ranks - additionally very rich products on vbulletin.org that allow for leaderboards and custom event ranking.
      anders | vbulletin team | check out the new vbulletin facebook app
      Proudly vBulletin'ing since 2001
      Please be my friend!
      http://www.twitter.com/inetskunkworks
      vBulletin Performance Articles:
      Click here to read

Comment

Encouraging replies

Thanks IBxAnders & Zachery

Originally posted by IBxAnders View Post
        Hi, welcome to vB forums.

1) Groups controls are a little bit less granular and not very customizable currently; you can't really customize custom group discussion urls; the group controls are more global. Although, something like this could be added as a plugin - this sounds like a failry basic vB product in terms of requirements and execution.
        I take it as:
        1. Group Discussion cannot be disabled by a setting change.
        2. It can be disabled & redirected to a particular forum via plugin

Originally posted by IBxAnders View Post
        2) Define customization requirements for ranking please? There is a good bit of flexibility right out of the box from user promotions and ranks - additionally very rich products on vbulletin.org that allow for leaderboards and custom event ranking.
        What I'm trying to achieve is to assign a star ranking to 'Groups'.

I've worked with phpBB forums before. However for the current project I have in mind, vB is more apt. I understand there is a learning curve related to vB hooks & the way plugins are written. However so far it seems promising.

Looking forward to become a vB customer soon & to contribute in feature requests and suggestions too.

Thanks & Regards
        Regards,
        Admin, SukoonGhar
        www.sukoonghar.in

Comment

First glance - social group discussions can be disabled.

Originally posted by EighteenDots View Post
          Thanks IBxAnders & Zachery

I take it as:

1. Group Discussion cannot be disabled by a setting change.
          2. It can be disabled & redirected to a particular forum via plugin

What I'm trying to achieve is to assign a star ranking to 'Groups'.

I've worked with phpBB forums before. However for the current project I have in mind, vB is more apt. I understand there is a learning curve related to vB hooks & the way plugins are written. However so far it seems promising.

Looking forward to become a vB customer soon & to contribute in feature requests and suggestions too.

Thanks & Regards
          anders | vbulletin team | check out the new vbulletin facebook app
          Proudly vBulletin'ing since 2001
          Please be my friend!
          http://www.twitter.com/inetskunkworks
          vBulletin Performance Articles:
          Click here to read

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X