Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choosing a bulletin board ( could use help )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing a bulletin board ( could use help )

Gang - I'm likely moving on from my own site's "Domino" format ( click link below for threaded view format & for what I'm speaking about...

To the point, I'd like to acquire input from you guys as to "why" this software ( 2.2.1 ) is superior to "UBB Threads" from Infopop- ( also uses MySQL & PHP ) ...

Appears that both are very similar though "UBB Threads" does allow toggle between "flat" & "threaded" views which is great.

One aspect of "this" software that concerns me is the "attach" restriction... we ( on the BMW site ) typically post 200KB images size & up. Is the restriction in size modifiable?

Check out the "threading" I'm referring to here ( once in, choose "threaded" icon ) :

http://www.threadsdev.com/threads/ph...sb=5&o=&fpart=

OK, so, can you folks steer me in the right direction?
    Thanks - Vic

Here's my current site:
    http://www.I-BMW.com:
    Last edited by vics; Tue 1 Jan '02, 6:03pm.
    The Ultimate Sport-Touring Portal :)

I'll just provide a few off the top of my head..
    • A lot cheaper then UBB
    • Cleaner Interface, easy to navigate in
    • Extremely fast when compared to UBB
    • In my opinion the Admin interface is much cleaner and more organized

I'm sure the devs could give a ton more
    Need a job done? Get in contact with me and we'll see what we can work out.

Comment

Ok... Find a semi large UBB, and do a search on it... Then do a search here... Get your stop watch out, or better yet, you calander.......

We may be kinda biased to what software we like best

I would go to InfoPop's website to search on their UBB, but of course, their site is to large to run the software, and have stopped using it

This thread won't last long

Comment

get vb cos jake says so. by doing what jake says you will get good jakeman karma and come closer to reaching true enlightenment.

Comment

Re: Choosing a bulletin board ( could use help )

Originally posted by vics
          ........ Is the restriction in size modifiable?
          yup
          You're my Prince of Peace
          And I will live my life for You

Comment

I would aggree, if you are asking about UBB here, you are going to get some pretty biased opinions, probably the most biased opinions you've ever seen
            Doesn't UBB use PHP wrappers or something, but it still uses perl and text files or something? I haven't really done my homework on this, nor do I actually do any sort of homework, but I beleive I am correct on the php wrappers part

I like my vbulletin because its fast, easily customizable, and I like the support here Tubedogg and Firefly assist me when I mess up my boards, yay for them
            Board of the Month: November
            Websites: Pixeljunction , vBulletin.org
            Button Sets: XP and Aqua Button sets! FREE!
            vB Customization: My sig is now vbulletin compliant. Contact me to make yours compliant too!

Comment

He/She is referring to UBBThreads, aka WWWThreads, not UBB. I do believe the searching works much better on UBBThreads than it does on UBB.

As for which is better, you just have to use both forums and pick one.

Comment

Another option would be to go to the various webmaster forums available and ask there. You will be more likely to get less biased opinions that way and be able to make a better decision. Asking here is just asking for Biased opinions as we all think this is the best product or we wouldn't be using it.

Check out:
                www.htmlforums.com
                www.webmaster-forums.com
                www.edevboards.com
                www.edevcafe.com
                www.gethighforums.com
                www.geekvillage.com/forums/
                www.sitepointforums.com

The members at these locations will be able to help you.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

(of course it doesn't hurt any that most of them run vBulletin too )

Comment

Just wanted to add WebHostingTalk.com to the list...my favorite.

Comment

My personal feelings about that site aside (don't ask) it isn't really an appropriate place to ask about board software, unlike the other sites which are for webmaster discussion not just hosting.

Comment

Thanks for info ...

Appreciate the input gang - ( Vic here -a "he" :>) & still somewhat within "decesion" mode... Both board types have their biased "pluses" as indicated via enthuastic membership, yet I can't get a handle on blaringly obvious "must haves" in one compared to the other...

As illustrated within inital post, I "do" love ( perhaps due to my "Domino" board's similar format - linked below) the "threaded" aspect found within "UBB Threads" ( Infopop's offering ) - check it out, though "your" stuff appears to have a big market share...

If there was ( BTW ) a category entitled "Board Software Comparison Info required" - I would have initiated this there...

The problem with moving this thread to another sub, less traversed category is the fact that now, throughput ( to "it" ) will be very minimal I fear..

Thanks again fr the input - much appreciated! - vic
                        http://www.I-BMW.com
                        Last edited by vics; Wed 2 Jan '02, 3:23am.
                        The Ultimate Sport-Touring Portal :)

Comment

Re: Thanks for info ...

As illustrated within inital post, I "do" love ( perhaps due to my "Domino" board's similar format - linked below) the "threaded" aspect found within "UBB Threads" ( Infopop's offering ) - check it out, though "your" stuff appears to have a big market share...
                          The Threaded View feature will be added in vB 3.0.

Comment

Re: Thanks for info ...

The problem with moving this thread to another sub, less traversed category is the fact that now, throughput ( to "it" ) will be very minimal I fear..
                            THe topic was moved because this is actually the appropriate place for it. It would have been buried in the general talk that takes place in "Chit Chat"...

This forum only appears to be less travelled because it is not very old and a lot of the old posts similar to this haven't been moved here yet.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Re: Re: Thanks for info ...

Originally posted by Craig Armstrong

The Threaded View feature will be added in vB 3.0.
                              Are you 100% Sure? I havent heard this from developers... if so, im stoked! I cant wait for v3!
                              Bike Forums.net

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X