from smf to vbulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• from smf to vbulletin

We are gearing up to moving fro smf to vbulletin and I'm starting the preps for this now, even though we haven't bought vbulletin yet. I'm in a good position where I have two domains for my site, one a .com and one an unused .co.uk.

It would be my plan to copy my whole forum to the .co.uk one which is sitting doing nothing, then once it's all set up, to completely import the whole new site to the .com which is our working fiorum.

Is this feasible?

I have mods in the real forum that I was going to disable before I use impex to import vbulletin, like a downloads system. We are fully prepared to reupload the download area in the new one when we install the downloads system for vbulletin. All we ae worried about are the members info and the posts perhaps.

Can anyone tell me if I would be allowd to install vbulletin on the other site then transfer it without affecting the licence?

If I was to install a completely clean smf then add the files just for posts and members, would that make it easier for the clean up?

The vB has to be installed on the correct domain. If it is not, then you are breaking the rules.

What you could do is state the url to the old domain and once the transfer or conversion is done. Then change the url to the new place.

Comment

As for the domains, they are an identical site, just a .co.uk and a .com, they will not run different forums, just one forum across two domains, on this post it say I can do it http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ense-agreement

I'm also stuck as to which version to buy. I was going for the suite but I'm now wondering exactly what cms is. I know you get blogs and I don't care about that, the list of features is just a list. My site is a forum and it has to have downloads, I know the mod I am going to use for that, but what will I get out of a content management system if I'm having to use a mod for downloads anyway? Is this the same thing as a portal?

This is getting close for us and I really need to be clear on all the ins and outs before parting with our cash.

Maybe I should mention that I'm with host gator and the second site is an add on domain, so on the one cpanel

So these questions still stand from the original post as well as the above

I have mods in the real forum that I was going to disable before I use impex to import vbulletin, like a downloads system. We are fully prepared to reupload the download area in the new one when we install the downloads system for vbulletin. All we ae worried about are the members info and the posts perhaps.

If I was to install a completely clean smf then add the files just for posts and members, would that make it easier for the clean up?
      I suppose I'm really wondering if I'd have to have the entire site there for the addition of vbulletin or if I could use just the basic files for smf and just the members and posts there, then do the impex thing
      Last edited by Fluttereyes; Sun 17 Oct '10, 2:12am.

Comment

Is there nobody that can help me with this info?

Comment

Not quite sure I understand what you are asking. Impex just needs a good database to import from. You do not need the SMF files.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

so how else would I get the members information over if I don't include the smf info on members. You see I'm not sure how to do this and I'm basically asking for help.

1. I want to convert from smf to vbulletin without losing my members and posts

2. I don't really understand what benefit cms would be to us, and am asking for further info

Comment

The info is in the database, not the SMF files.

1. Yes, we have an importer for SMF. You can read about it here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_smf

Please note that since SMF passwords are encrypted, they cannot be imported. Your users will need to reset their passwords after the import. You can read more about this here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_passwords

Please read the online Impex import instructions here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex

2. It is really up to you if you want to use the CMS or not. Honestly if you do no see the need for one, then that is a perfectly valid choice.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                Not quite sure I understand what you are asking. Impex just needs a good database to import from. You do not need the SMF files.
                Not entirely correct. The Settings.php file that holds the db conencting infos and attachments and avatars folders are needed.

Comment

I know about impex, I mentioned it in my post. I also know they will have to update their passwords.

I don't know if we could use the cms as I'm still kinda clueless as to what it offers us.

Our site is a forum with a downloads area, the downloads area is the most important part of the entire site. The one we have isn't adeqaute and it's prompting us to move to a different forum software to try to obtain a better system. Would cms be involved in this at all? I know about the mod download ll and I know I would need that.

Are you saying that all I'd need to do is put the vbulletin software on my clean domain and then import the database for it to work? That was kinda my question but I asked it wrong, my head is bursting with all this.

Comment

Originally posted by borbole View Post
                    Not entirely correct. The Settings.php file that holds the db conencting infos and attachments and avatars files are needed.
                    But Impex does not need or use that. You just need to add the correct info to thew ImpExConfig.php file.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Fluttereyes View Post
                      I know about impex, I mentioned it in my post. I also know they will have to update their passwords.

I don't know if we could use the cms as I'm still kinda clueless as to what it offers us.
                      Here's the features page for vB4 Forum and vB4 Publishing Suite:

http://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=features

In addition to the CMS and Blog, the Suite also offers unlimited ticket support instead of 30 days for the vB4 Forums product. Even if you do not want to use the CMS, that alone may be worth it.

Are you saying that all I'd need to do is put the vbulletin software on my clean domain and then import the database for it to work? That was kinda my question but I asked it wrong, my head is bursting with all this.
                      Yes, you have to install vB first. Then follow the Impex instructions to import your SMF data.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                        But Impex does not need or use that. You just need to add the correct info to thew ImpExConfig.php file.
                        Well, I know what you mean but I have converted several smf forums and the attachments and avatars didn''t convert over without the folders I mentioned above. Smf, unlike vb, that has the option to store them in the db, it stores them as files only.
                        Also, if it won''t find the Settings.php file it will throw a sort of connection/permission error.

Comment

Yes but what is the cms, I 've read the list and as I obviously don't understand it then you can assume I'm totally think and explain it to me as such.

I'm all over the net right now trying to find out what cms is is and if I need it.

Comment

Yes but what is the cms, I 've read the list and as I obviously don't understand it then you can assume I'm totally think and explain it to me as such.

I'm all over the net right now trying to find out what cms is is and if I need it.
                            The cms will add a front page to your forum, like a sort of portal if you will. Have a look at the online demo, maybe they have added it there so you can have a peak.

http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php

Comment

so in effect it's just a very expensive portal then? Ok so as portals vary I still need ot know what this one will do for me, does it have galleries, news, additional pages, a download system? I'll need ot take each line of text in its list and search and see what that does as I'm none the wiser. I already did two demos and couldn't make head nor tail of what I was getting for all that extra money. Perhaps it's not worth it, even if I do get 30 days support or whatever, I mean if a forum is so hard to install that I can't do it within 30 days, then it might be beyond my capabilities. I guess I just have to weigh all this up, if I'm not going to end up with a better downloads system on my site, then it's hardly worth while changing at all.

I'll need to re examine the whole thing, it's not just my money I'm spending but the members too

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X