Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What experience and requirement do I need to set up a forum using VBulletin

Hi,

I need a Forum in Vietnamse and my friend recommend VBulletin to me. I have experience in asp.net c#, but have no clue with PHP. I know I should read more about this site to learn more, but I have very limited time. My questions are:

1) Do I need to know the php?
    2) What requirement does the hosting company need on their server to run VBulletin. I am using DiscountASP.net now.

Thanks in advance.

Johnny

You need the following:

Minimum System Requirements
    (For vB 3.8 and earlier) A webserver with PHP 4.3.3 and MySQL 4.0.16 installed
    (For vB4) A webserver with PHP 5.2 and MySQL 4.1.0 installed

Recommended System Requirements
    PHP 5.2.6 or later
    MySQL 5.0.19 or later

then you need to know how to make a database in mysql and fill in the login and pass in a config file. The config file is read and do what it says, mysql database usauly done from the back-end hosting providers give information on that. Then upload files to server and run the installer. You should be running in a hour if you know everything.

Comment

Thanks we-are-borg,

To be honest with you, I have never work with php and MySQL before, though I done a lot with MS Sql Server and asp.net in C#. I am trying to help a none-profit organization to set up a website with a forum and learn that php is much far better than asp.net in forum.

I check with the hosting company that I am using, discountasp.net, and they stop supporting MySQL. I know Siteground.com hosting company has really cheap hosting, but it seem they done a lot with phpbb. I rather pay some money for Vbulletin in front and get easier setup/support.

Do you have any recommend for hosting company for VBulletin that is good and affordable?

Thanks,

Johnny

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyho View Post
        Do you have any recommend for hosting company for VBulletin that is good and affordable?
        Browse this forum: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...osting-Options

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyho View Post
          Thanks we-are-borg,

To be honest with you, I have never work with php and MySQL before, though I done a lot with MS Sql Server and asp.net in C#. I am trying to help a none-profit organization to set up a website with a forum and learn that php is much far better than asp.net in forum.

I check with the hosting company that I am using, discountasp.net, and they stop supporting MySQL. I know Siteground.com hosting company has really cheap hosting, but it seem they done a lot with phpbb. I rather pay some money for Vbulletin in front and get easier setup/support.

Thanks,

Johnny
          No problem. As for MySQL and PHP when you need to install it it is almost the same as on ASP.net and C# the program needs to know where the database is and you to login the software at that point will do the rest, your only there the give some information and click next. The information needed is login and password for the first user on the board with his/her email address.

Comment

Not sure if it helps but in terms of creating a mysql database it all depends on your web host control panel, but if it's cpanel this might help (http://www.demodemo.com/1/tutorials/cpanel_x3_mysql.htm). If not cpanel and you know the control panel being used by your host you can always check http://www.demodemo.com/hostingtutorials.html. Other then that just enter the credentials from your mysql database in the config file, rename the config file and start the install

Note: DemoDemo Tutorials are meant to be purchased by hosting companies or companies with a desire to show demos to their customers, I hope it is not wrong that I use their samples to help this customer.
            Pure vBulletin
            Adam - Follow PureVB on Twitter

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X