Total Customization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total Customization

Before i do make a purchase of VB, i wish to cover some ground and get my questions asked and have visual examples, if applicable!

1). Can i have a Chat box on the face of the actual computer screen ? What i mean by this is, how MySpace has there chat box! But i would like to have a difference to it! I want it to be just like MySpace's, but i want it to have an actual list of the members in the actual chat room, on the main page. lit up! The reason i want this feature is so the other members don't miss out for not even a second of whats going on in the chat room, while there visiting there pages or games, etc!

2). What is the maximum limit as what i can actually customize on the VB Forum ? The reason i ask this is because i want to Customize every single nitty gritty you can see with your eyes on the forum!

3). I have my own custom fonts i create and wish to use them as my main default font for the forum! Can this be done ?

4). Now, for every member who is apart of the forum, i want them to have complete access to there Forum Statistics! These include the following:

A). There forum profile, i want them to have complete access to move stuff around on there. Like move and click sorta. I want them to be able to put there Avatar/Unique ID Name to certain positions of where it can go!

B). I want them to post live feeds from MySpace, Facebook, Twitter etc, right onto there page, or perhaps, right into there Status Bar!

C). Forum Posts. Times it took for the post to be answered. How long they took to actually do the post. How many people answered that pacific post. How long they have been a member, right down to the mere second.

Forgive my much questions but i must do my studying before i jump into something i know nothing about. Thanks

- MEGATRONICATRON

Originally posted by MEGATRONICATRON View Post
    2). What is the maximum limit as what i can actually customize on the VB Forum ? The reason i ask this is because i want to Customize every single nitty gritty you can see with your eyes on the forum!
    There is no limit to customization.
    Do whatever you like/can.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Ok thank you very much for answering that beishe8. Now that i know the answer to that, i am very happy so far

Comment

Ok thank you very much for answering that beishe8. Now that i know the answer to that, i am very happy so far
        As beishe8 already said there is no limitation but it depends strongly upon your personal skills on css, php and html coding.

Comment

Any decent programmer will tell you that as long as they have the source code to a product like vB (which is provided) they can make it do anything they want it to do given enough time and resources. So probably the better question is how much time and resources (probably man hours or money) are you willing to spend to get everything exactly how you picture it in your head?

Keep in mind that the learning curve with vB is very steep. Even though I consider myself to be a fairly competent PHP programmer I'm brand new to the vB architecture. Things that would have taken me 15 minutes in WordPress or phpBB can often take an entire day because I'm not familiar with how vB does things and I have to reverse engineer everything (mostly due to a lack of documentation from vB).

I think that's why people have such short answers. You're not telling people what you're willing to throw at it. If you have an unlimited budget, some talented engineers . . . sure, you can pretty much do anything with vB. If you're trying to build this on a tight budget and you've got a few guys who know web design and some PHP, uhm, well, it's going to be a challenge.
          Community manager at Thailand Friends

Comment

Ramsesx - Ok, thank you very much for response, i have much skills in HTML and CSS!.

Bill Rini - I'm no expert in making forums but i have a big imagination of what i wanna make on the VB forum (providing once i do make a purchase, hoping i've gathered enough info to make up my mind) I'm very interested in learning all of which VB has to offer. I currently run 4 seperate forums and have a total population of about 1800 members amongst them all and i wanna give my members the forum they deserve. So thats why i wanna know if i can totaly make it the way i want to ya know!

Knowing the fact that VB has not all the answers to my questions i ask and not having any relative examples to see upon, its gonna take me longer to decipher wether this is worth it or not. Basically, i'm willing to throw ANYTHING at this forum, to make it work not only for my self but for my members! There is no tight budget it for me because i've already infested in alot for my 4 other forums.

This forum that im going to be making soon, is going to be a Gaming Forum, a unique one at that. Along with music, videos and other stuff of that nature, that pertains to the catergories for the games and etc ya know.

What i really have not seen yet is the examples! I've seen other VB Forums, but there all the basic nature and nothing of what i want to actually see, so i'm not sure at the moment wether VB is the right forum to actually go with ( begging i see and get the info that i so really need, my decision shall be reversed.

Challanges, are a great time to conquer, as if we had no challanges, then theres no point to nothin in great excellence of appearance.

Comment

Yes I thought I wanted a full custom forum also until I got some bids for a full custom theme. If you can do the work yourself, then
              I suppose you would save a bundle, but if you are like me, then you will have to outsource it, and when I got some bids ranging
              from $1k-$5k then i decided on a full custom theme as there is no need for it if you do not have any traffic that would actually
              support the cost, and of course I will have to keep this project on the back burner until the forum grows enough that would
              warrant such action, as I would not be the only person to look at the pretty forum, and you find less and less coders out there
              that work on v4 and thus you get a higher cost. I know when I was looking for vb3 designers, they seemed to be everywhere,
              but with vb4, it is getting much harder to find a good designer, and the cost to redesign the entire suite is not cheap.
              I just recently got a bid to redo my default CMS for $40 - and that requires no coding, just rearrangment of the cms,
              can you believe that? and not knowing how good this person is, you never know how anything will turn out as must
              designers say they are the best at what they do, then you end up getting crap, or 80's looking design...

Comment

Well, i can pretty much make what i want when i see it, using other programs that is! But when it comes to using VB, i know nothing about it so i'm not quite sure this is what i actually or, really need! But, i've done my research and unfortuantly, i have yet to find what i want out there. I've found other forums however, with them looking all the same! That, is not what i want. I can code all HTML, CSS, etc with time and patience but having other people do it for me, wont suit the picture because i can only express so much how i want it you know and as you said, you can get an 80's looking design!! That is way off the charts for me! I want and will get, the look i want, which is the 2020 theme, which is way ahead of its time, but it'll stick out like a sore thumb for me. Lol.

Thanks for your reply.

- Mega

Comment

What i really have not seen yet is the examples!
                  This one should be a good example.

Comment

Oh yes, this is very much like the look i am so wanting. Now considering this can be done and i FINALLY seen an example, i thank you Ramsesx

Comment

That example was very good but the more i looked at it, its all really just one big picture in the bg ;/ .. If you have another one you can show me, with a little more " taste " I'd greatly appreciate it my friend !

Comment

No prob, but it's not only the bg, the forum is heavily modified. What do you expect to see?

Comment

1). Can i have a Chat box on the face of the actual computer screen ? What i mean by this is, how MySpace has there chat box! But i would like to have a difference to it! I want it to be just like MySpace's, but i want it to have an actual list of the members in the actual chat room, on the main page. lit up! The reason i want this feature is so the other members don't miss out for not even a second of whats going on in the chat room, while there visiting there pages or games, etc!
                          There are various plugins you can install to do this. It's not built in.

It's visible source, and has a robust template system so you can change everything you see however you see fit. Realize that every change you make will increase the difficulty of performing software upgrades.

3). I have my own custom fonts i create and wish to use them as my main default font for the forum! Can this be done ?
                          Embedding fonts into a webpage is actually quite tricky because Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, and Opera have only agreed upon an open standard in the last few months. So you can embed fonts using a couple of methods that work in some web browsers but not all, or you can wait for this open standard to work with all browsers some time next year. Otherwise, you can only use the fonts already installed on the computers of your viewers.

4). Now, for every member who is apart of the forum, i want them to have complete access to there Forum Statistics! These include the following:

A). There forum profile, i want them to have complete access to move stuff around on there. Like move and click sorta. I want them to be able to put there Avatar/Unique ID Name to certain positions of where it can go!
                          This is not a built-in feature of vBulletin. Drag-and-drop user profile customization would require extensive modification.

B). I want them to post live feeds from MySpace, Facebook, Twitter etc, right onto there page, or perhaps, right into there Status Bar!
                          This is not a built-in feature of vBulletin. This could require extensive modification.

C). Forum Posts. Times it took for the post to be answered. How long they took to actually do the post.
                          This is not a built-in feature of vBulletin. This would require extensive modification. I guess this would require some pretty gnarly Javascript to try to calculate when the user started their post, when they submitted it, and how many seconds transpired in between.

How many people answered that specific post.
                          If someone posts a THREAD, you can see the number of replies and number of views of that thread. Is this what you mean? If you mean specifically replying to a POST, how do you know for sure I'm replying to your post and not someone else's post unless I include a quote? And if I don't include the post # in the quote ([QUOTE=MEGATRONICATRON;2045149], then my reply wouldn't count. Trying to figure out who replied to whose post is a dodgy proposition. But for threads, the information is already there.

How long they have been a member, right down to the mere second.
                          This information is currently displayed as month/date. You can use a template conditional to make it display the exact second if you so desire.

It sounds like you want to make your forum into a "live" BBS that is always communicating with the server and trying to keep an open connection for live updates. No offense, but the web was not designed that way. It was designed for connect, pull information, close connection. I hope you have a dedicated web server to handle all the traffic.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X