This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why isn't vBulletin free?

vBulletin is, as I know, built on free database(mySQL), free web server(Apache) and also built with a free language(PHP). All of them are open source.

The question I want to ask is: "Why isn't vBulletin free even though it's using open source (and of course free) softwares such as Apache, PHP and so on?"

OMG You are right... someone bet get working on those refunds, quickly!

In all seriousness... First Apache is no part of vBulletin... Second just because MySQL and PHP are free doesn;t mean everything based on them are... many many man-hours of work went into vBulletin (believe it or not) and they choose to be paid for their work, If it was free we wouldn't have a third the features we do. There are free forums out there if you prefer.

Comment

Because the developers who spend 100% of their time working on the project need money to pay the rent.

The support staff who are helping out on questions are also doing this full time and need a salary to live on.
      Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Bricks are made from natural materials that are freely offered by Mother Nature. Same goes for wood and other building materials. Why do people charge a price for those things when someone wants to build a house or other type of structure?
        ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

Why mcdonald friend chicken costs you some dollars?
          You can have your own chicken for free, your own salt, etc..

Seriously please. Lol.
          I use vbulletin.

Comment

Originally posted by tunca View Post
            vBulletin is, as I know, built on free database(mySQL), free web server(Apache) and also built with a free language(PHP). All of them are open source.

The question I want to ask is: "Why isn't vBulletin free even though it's using open source (and of course free) softwares such as Apache, PHP and so on?"
            There are tons of software out there that is produced on open source tech that is not free. Would you like to come and program and support the software for free?

We expect 40-50 hours a week + weekends.

Comment

why discuz.net and phpwind.net can be free?especially discuz.net has a lot of users。
              Last edited by jerrylv; Sat 31 Jul '10, 8:29pm.

Comment

Because vBulletin is commercial software.

Comment

Because some people actually want to make a living writing software instead of giving away months of hard work to a bunch of people that will then ignore the donate button.
                  Quarrels and Quills - always in need of more members
                  RPG Tools

Comment

One point I like about Discuz! is it being free, but it has also disappointed me because they don't have much internationalization done (they just provided a language file and expected us to do the work) and the product system isn't well-built like vBulletin does. For now, I use Discuz! for Chinese forums, and vBulletin for English forums (and maybe other languages as well).

But in all seriousness, it is just a solution. Pick another one if this doesn't suit you, or start writing your own solution.

Comment

Commercial software usually means better support and updates

Comment

Because it is a company....
                        Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                        Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

I need a housekeeper for free, can you do this for me? I mean, you are using free things like breath air or drink free water and so, it is a legitimate question isn't it?

Comment

Open source also is not about free.

I hope I have enough money at some point to make donations to a variety of open source projects, or if I ever learn enough help with documentation ect...
                            Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by fortify View Post
                              Commercial software usually means better support and updates
                              Usually.
                              ...steven
                              www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                              bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                              "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X