Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Vbulletin require connection to the internet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Vbulletin require connection to the internet?

I would like to set up Vbulletin behind a firewall that does not have access to the internet. Is that a problem? In otherwords the BB is not accessable to the internet at nor does the server that it will be hosted on have an internet connection.

I know that when installing it asks you for a number ... but wasnt sure if that requires an internet connection or not.

If it does, is there a solution where an internet connection is not required?

I would like to purchase this immediately but I want to make sure that i can install.

Thank you.

No, corp customers run it on intranet, and developers on their localhost.

Internet is not required.

If you want people who are on the internet to connect to your forum, obviously internet is required.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
      No, corp customers run it on intranet, and developers on their localhost.

Internet is not required.

If you want people who are on the internet to connect to your forum, obviously internet is required.

Thank you ... I wll purchase it.

Regards,
      Tom

Comment

One other thing ... does this have to run on mysql or could i use Oracle, MS Sql server or Sybase?

Comment

ATM it works only with mysql server

Comment

You'll need to install MySQL if you do not already have it running. MySQL can run alongside MSSQL just fine.

Comment

As like most forums on the internet, you will need to have an internet connection. Unless you just want to edit vBulletin, everything else from people posting to you creating it will need Internet Connection.

Comment

This is not correct. Please read the other responses above, specifically the reply from Floris. Internet access is NOT required to run and access a vBulletin forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnathan Chan View Post
                  As like most forums on the internet, you will need to have an internet connection. Unless you just want to edit vBulletin, everything else from people posting to you creating it will need Internet Connection.

My freebsd box in the other room has no internet, just a simple installation for benchmarking and audit of the source code. It runs every vBulletin version available to me, and completely has no internet. And vBulletin runs 100% fine, and I can customize the source code completely.

Like I said in a previous post, if you want people from another location to connect over the internet to your web site as they don't have a physical access point in the local area network, an internet (or other) connection is required.

vBulletin will run on online web servers that aren't at your home location too, and in most cases. And this means your home connection to the internet isn't needed. As the web host covers that part.

Comment

Working...
                  X