Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a straight answer on the "Maintenance Pack" option -- do I get 4.x or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zachery
    replied
    Just to make sure everyone is clear, you're still under the old terms of your licenses. You still have access to any version of vBulletin you can download from your own members area and the ability to use it.

Leave a comment:

• Boofo
    replied
    My bad. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• magnus
    replied
    For those wondering the answer, here is the response I received via e-mail from [email protected]:

It will allow access to vB4 as well. However once you upgrade to vB4 you will not be able to downgrade to vB3 and you will eventually need to upgrade your licenses to vB4 if you want to have access to newer versions.

Best regards,
    Steve Machol
    Customer Support Manager, vBulletin

vBulletin Home Page
    http://www.vbulletin.com/
    vBulletin Community Forums
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/

Leave a comment:

• BirdOPrey5
    replied
    I have to say my opinion is that it is pretty clear you do get access to 4.x with the 3-month pack, however you would only be able to download whatever the latest 4.x version is when it expires, probably 4.0.6, not likely to be a very complete release. I think the inability to limit the 3-month pack to vb 3.8 only is the main reason it's limited to 3 months anyway and not a year, because in a year 4.x will probably be working well. I wonder if they just couldn't figure out how to limit 4.x access via software so they allow it.

Leave a comment:

• anthonyparsons
    replied
    I have a feeling you wouldn't get access based on when your licenses expired, ie. I remember that one of mine was renewed prior, so it would have expired after 4.x was released, and I believe I had access to the forum only 4.x to use under the old license, though if I wanted any further updates once that license expired, I would have to upgrade. I ended up upgrading to a suite for all licenses, so negated the issue, though from memory that was the deal. I am not sure you would fit this, as your update would be purely based on an old old license that was well and truly expired prior to 4.x coming out. Getting access to what you are outlining, would mean you would be getting 4.x forum at a fraction of the cost. I believe only those who had licenses as outlined above would still get the latest 4.x version by upgrading.

Hopefully staff can confirm, though if my memory serves me correctly, that was the scoop with it.

If I didn't upgrade to suite during the presale, then I would have had access to 4.x forum only up until the version released prior to my 3.x license expiring, then to get further access I would of had to pay the full price to upgrade vs. the markedly reduced price offered during the presale which I opted for.

Pretty sure though this isn't a cheap method for 3.x holders to get hold of 4.x. It would only be a select few who's licenses ran through the period under the old license, which entitled them to upgrades for the length of that license. That has since changed.

Leave a comment:

• Boofo
    replied
    Originally posted by magnus View Post
    Now, it may just be me, but this sounds intentionally cryptic -- especially the line, "This may include access to, and the ability to operate vBulletin 4." (emphasis mine)

My vBulletin license(s) expired on 03/03/09 and 12/26/08, respectively. If I was to purchase the "3.x - 3 months Maintenance Pack" for them ($50*2=$100), would these licenses now be entitled to the most recent 4.x downloads as of now up until 3 months from now -- or does it simply entitle me to the most recent 3.x releases (in this case, 3.8.6)?

Simply put: I'm basically trying to figure out if this would be a cost-effective method for me to "get my feet wet" with 4.x to decide whether I want to purchase a full 4.x license or wait until 5.x.
    The straight answer is that no, you would not be entitled to vb 4 with the vb 3 Maintenance pack. That is only for the vb 3 series. You would have to pay the vb 3 to vb 4 upgrade fee to be entitled to any vb 4 versions.

Leave a comment:

• magnus
    replied
    Originally posted by anthonyparsons View Post
    You can already get your feet wet with 4.x without any money, using: http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php
    The demo is just that, a demo. There's no substitute for a "hands on" development board running in parallel with a production board. One could hardly determine the viability of a) spending $200+ for a new license and b) migrating a current, working forum -- based solely on a few minutes usage in a demo environment. If I were new to vBulletin, or forums in general, that would be one thing -- but that's not the case here.
    Last edited by magnus; Thu 15 Jul '10, 6:00pm. Reason: Elaboration..

Leave a comment:

• anthonyparsons
    replied
    You can already get your feet wet with 4.x without any money, using: http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php

Leave a comment:

• Need a straight answer on the "Maintenance Pack" option -- do I get 4.x or not?

I apologize for adding yet another "Maintenance Pack" related post, but I have to admit -- I'm still a bit unclear.

Originally posted by IB Adrian
    I might add - to clarify some confusion regarding this. If you purchase this pack, you are able to download and run all levels of vBulletin you have access to. This may include access to, and the ability to operate vBulletin 4.
    Purchasing this pack, however, may not allow for updates to these products (or any other) that are provided beyond the 3month time frame that is purchased.
    Now, it may just be me, but this sounds intentionally cryptic -- especially the line, "This may include access to, and the ability to operate vBulletin 4." (emphasis mine)

My vBulletin license(s) expired on 03/03/09 and 12/26/08, respectively. If I was to purchase the "3.x - 3 months Maintenance Pack" for them ($50*2=$100), would these licenses now be entitled to the most recent 4.x downloads as of now up until 3 months from now -- or does it simply entitle me to the most recent 3.x releases (in this case, 3.8.6)?

Simply put: I'm basically trying to figure out if this would be a cost-effective method for me to "get my feet wet" with 4.x to decide whether I want to purchase a full 4.x license or wait until 5.x.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X