Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forum source code - may i modify?

If i buy the vBulletin forum/Cms software then i have some questions

1. can isee all source code of the software? Or is there some parts of the soource code closed/binary?
    2. can i modify source code to implement some additional functionality myself there? Or doesn't hte Licence allow that maybe?

It's all written in php and you can modify away,... if you make any changes worthwhile feel free to share them at vbulletin.org.

Comment

Maybe it have some kind of binaries written in C-language. I can't modify them. But if you say all source code is text-based Php, then i think i really can modify.

Comment

I have 3rd question aswell:

3. If i plan to do 2 separate commercial sites/projects, then:
        May i include One bought forum Licence/Software package to both web sites? For example on one web page i will sell Cars and there i put vBulletin modified version. I modify a little elseway the same vBuleltin and put it to the web site where i sell (Food)Supplements. Is it ok by me to do so? Because practically i buy one Licencee/software, but i gonna use it on two places. Maybe Licencee disallows that.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesroos View Post
          Maybe it have some kind of binaries written in C-language. I can't modify them. But if you say all source code is text-based Php, then i think i really can modify.
          It's all php, you can open in any text editor and change away.

Originally posted by charlesroos View Post
          I have 3rd question aswell:

3. If i plan to do 2 separate commercial sites/projects, then:
          May i include One bought forum Licence/Software package to both web sites? For example on one web page i will sell Cars and there i put vBulletin modified version. I modify a little elseway the same vBuleltin and put it to the web site where i sell (Food)Supplements. Is it ok by me to do so? Because practically i buy one Licencee/software, but i gonna use it on two places. Maybe Licencee disallows that.
          No, you would need a separate license. You need a separate license for every domain, the only exception is if you have 'parked' domains that show the same exact content. For your situation you would need 2 licenses.

The only way I see around this would be to open a 3rd site, say http://mycars-and-foodsupplements-forums.com and link both of your existing sites to use that 1 forum, but then people looking for cars would see food supplement posts and vice-versa, but it would be legal.

Comment

4. May i change all the pieces of the bought forum -pictures, source code,...? For example lets say i have bought file "logo.jpg" and now i open that picture-file in editior and change it to my company logo picture, or, i change other picture file content, or, i remove copiright-comments in source code, or do any other changes to customize/implement my additional features- is it all allowed?

See this example web page:
            http://forum.planet.ee/

Under the bottom of the page we see: