why you do this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why you do this

when searching in google and return results from a vbulletin forum, going to that forum webpage requires you to login to view it

this is so stupid, why you do this?

forcing people to signup to the forum just to read a thread

Comment

Maybe you should ask google why they choose to show results from member-only pages.
      My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
      vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

That's quite odd. How is Google indexing the Private Customer only boards here? If permission is set to not allow guests to view them, I would have thought that would also cover stopping Google from seeing them (indexing them) as well? As they are treated as Guests.

Comment

can you give us an example or two?
          Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
            That's quite odd. How is Google indexing the Private Customer only boards here? If permission is set to not allow guests to view them, I would have thought that would also cover stopping Google from seeing them (indexing them) as well? As they are treated as Guests.
            I believe you can supply a user/password to Googlebot for indexing private sections of a site. I've seen this option in AdSense, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by asdasdasdasdasda View Post
              when searching in google and return results from a vbulletin forum, going to that forum webpage requires you to login to view it

this is so stupid, why you do this?
              can you give the specific google query example so we can see? Or should we just trust you mr. asdasdasdasdasdasdasdasda...... whatever.

Comment

This has NOTHING TO DO with vBulletin, but is something the Forum Administrator is choosing to do. By default, vBulletin does not require registration to read a thread.

Also, the Forum Administrator may be violating Google policy by showing one thing to Google and something else to users.

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
                  This has NOTHING TO DO with vBulletin, but is something the Forum Administrator is choosing to do. By default, vBulletin does not require registration to read a thread.

Also, the Forum Administrator may be violating Google policy by showing one thing to Google and something else to users.
                  This is what I beleive is happening too.

Comment

This is cloaking and that website can be punished by google. What is the website so it can be reported.

Comment

Originally posted by JosephMongol View Post
                      This is cloaking and that website can be punished by google. What is the website so it can be reported.
                      I'm pretty sure Google have their own methods in place to detect forums using cloaking.

Comment

Explain cloaking? Checking something real quick

Comment

its not cloacking anyway. google bot just accessing the forum as registered member. its based on permission
                          Mastiya

Comment

Originally posted by jonsidneyb View Post
                            Explain cloaking? Checking something real quick
                            Show Google one thing. Show guest/unregistered user another.

Originally posted by funmasti View Post
                            its not cloacking anyway. google bot just accessing the forum as registered member. its based on permission
                            It's still wrong.

Fortunately there's:
                            http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/

Comment

Some websites seem to get away with 'cloaking' for years though... I haven't tried lately but expertsexchange.com used to be the biggest offender... whenever I had a serious computer problem I'd google it and inevitably it would show a solution at "Experts Exchange" in fact the top 3 or 4 links would be to articles on their site, but you had to buy a subscription to see the answers- which were google indexed.... I even paid for a subscription, it was actually worth it, until I found that 'user agent switcher' - Just set myself to googlebot and everything I wanted was free... I don't feel bad because they legally shouldn't be listed in google at all if they hide their content, they were taking up space of other sites who may have had the same info for free. I agree, report any sites you find doing this, but sometimes google doesn't act... back room deals?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X