Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3.8.5. - how long new security & bug fix'ex will be available?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slinky
    replied
    Originally posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
    As a forum administrator I have to take a queue from my users, if something isn't broke- don't fix it- and 3.8.x isn't broke... my members would revolt if I upgraded even if I wanted to, which luckily I don't... Seems like vB4 will be this company's Vista... I only hope vB5 is their Windows 7.
    Vista worked extremely well for me.

Regarding vb 3.8.5... works very well but it's a question of everything else I'm offering around the forum itself too. After a while, you need to see whether it will serve its need in the bigger picture or another solution gets you farther...

Leave a comment:

• BirdOPrey5
    replied
    As a forum administrator I have to take a queue from my users, if something isn't broke- don't fix it- and 3.8.x isn't broke... my members would revolt if I upgraded even if I wanted to, which luckily I don't... Seems like vB4 will be this company's Vista... I only hope vB5 is their Windows 7.

Leave a comment:

• 0ptima
    replied
    Originally posted by slinky View Post
    I have been using 3.8.x for a long time with a good number of plugins:

1) It just works. Can't remember the last time I had any error, performance problem, etc. I never get support requests about bad queries, errors. etc.
    2) Not all the hacks are available. Not essential but was another pro for staying 3.8.5
    3) Integrations with other software - is it worth moving to 4.0 and redoing everything?
    I agree 100%, VB 3.8 works great for me. In addition not all the hacks I use have been ported to 4.x (and some never will ).

I use VB Gallery, which is an important part of my forum. I cant upgrade my forums (and I do have the VB 4 Suite license) without this addon and the version compatible with VB 4 is still in beta.

Leave a comment:

• slinky
    replied
    Originally posted by darren1981 View Post
    Why people haven't upgraded to the version 4 vbulletin yet i don't know.
    I have been using 3.8.x for a long time with a good number of plugins:

1) It just works. Can't remember the last time I had any error, performance problem, etc. I never get support requests about bad queries, errors. etc.
    2) Not all the hacks are available. Not essential but was another pro for staying 3.8.5
    3) Integrations with other software - is it worth moving to 4.0 and redoing everything?

I've been reading too many horror stories about people experiencing significant bugs even with 4.0.4, including performance issues. I've seen staff here have to woefully admit that these errors are valid and reproduceable (that kind of honesty is refreshing around here... for a change.) I've seen one or two "hacks" for the core of vBulletin that supposedly change the processing time significantly, that still haven't been included in the core. When your own users start providing major enhancements that don't make it into the product, it begins to frighten me.

I've been waiting to find out when the next version of vB is out that doesn't seem to suffer from potentially major bugs and errors - for example, Facebook Connect. People talk about 4.0.5, etc. But as has been the case here for a while, nobody seems to have a firm answer on when this will occur. So many of us bigger board owners sit on the sidelines, month after month, unable to decide at what point it would be safe and worth our time to make the transition.

Leave a comment:

• funmasti
    replied
    i am still with 3.8.4

i will upgrade. once i'v found no problem on 3.8.5

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    I know exactly why I have not upgraded my 3.8 forums to 4.0 - money is one reason. A $600 upgrade (if needed, since it was optional) is now $4200. vB as a product took a direction and and a turn. And it's not 'the same feel' as the vB as I knew it, after Kier and the team left. For the rest of my arguments (which as my opinion as a customer, as I observed vB change from 3.x to 4.x in the last year+) .. see my post history.

It's the same as running Mac OSX 10.6 vs Ubuntu. If you think Ubuntu is cool and it works for you. Please use it. But in the real daily world, I personally desire quality, performance, reliability and improved workflow. Mac OSX offers that to me, not Ubuntu; again: In my experience. So I go with that. If vb4 works for you, by all means.. for me that's 3.8.

Leave a comment:

• Abomination
    replied
    Just to be crystal clear. 3.8 will not be supported in the future. 2 months? 2 years? The company will not commit to any time frame at all. Although I am sure someone will speculate in subsequent posts what the time frame will be. And of course they will not commit to how long v4 will be "supported", many people still think v4 is still in the beta phase.

It is a fundamental problem with this company at this time.

Going from smf to vb3.8 is a huge change. But so is vb3.8 to vb4, at least for our members, ergo I am seeking and investigating the best long term alternative. One alternative has a vested interest in making sure their software works well for the masses, because the rent out hosting accounts with their software pre-installed.

Leave a comment:

• vbRabbit
    replied
    Originally posted by Abomination View Post
    Your apprehensions are well founded. There is someone else that went from smf to vb4 recently, now they are over asking questions on another paid forum software providers forum.
    We have this problem mainly because we do not want do same work 2 times.
    Go from SMF to 3.8.5, and after this go to 4.x after 6 month or so.
    We need finish transfering process in news week or as maximum in 2 weeks. This is why we so hasten to make decision about vB version to install.

Leave a comment:

• Abomination
    replied
    For the record, historically they have been excellent at releasing security patches even on some of the obsolete versions: The latest point release only.

So if there is a major security issue with 3.8.5, and that is the last newest 3.8 version, they would probably patch that even when 4.4 was out. But they would not do anything for 3.8.3, 3.8.4, etc except explain what files needed editing.

Your apprehensions are well founded. There is someone else that went from smf to vb4 recently, now they are over asking questions on another paid forum software providers forum.

Leave a comment:

• vbRabbit
    replied
    Thank you so much. Still thinking...

Leave a comment:

• Abomination
    replied
    From a sticky thread in the licensed customer feedback forum, which only licensed customers can see:
    Code:
            Version    Level of Support        
        Current Version    4.1    Full Support        
        V(-1)    4.0    Bug + Security        
        V(-2)    3.8    Security        
        V(-3)    3.7    End of Life
    Therefore:
    Code:
            Version    Level of Support        
        Current Version    4.2    Full Support        
        V(-1)    4.1    Bug + Security        
        V(-2)    4.0    Security        
        V(-3)    3.8    End of Life
    I understand and appreciate the dilemma, we have the same issues and are still on 3.8

Leave a comment:

• vbRabbit
    replied
    How many big boards on 4.0.4 did you know?
    I am personally have a forum with 500-700 people online and with paid subscription for premium members. And I can not risk.
    I'll be very grateful if you show me different point of view with the reasoning.

Leave a comment:

• darren1981
    replied

Leave a comment:

• vbRabbit
    replied
    Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Mike Anime
    replied
    IIRC vb3 will go EOL once vb 4.1.0 comes out that means nu bug fixes or security fixes.

there was an announcment thread thad had a timeline but its gone now

Leave a comment: