Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can seperate licenses be bought for the same installation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can seperate licenses be bought for the same installation?

Our reason for two licenses is that we want to seamlessly split our web-site; Two licenses would be owned by two individuals - one would operate the 'home' section; the other would run the 'forum' section.

Thus, one admin person would always retain effective control over his section; the admin of one part could not demote admin of another.

Is it possible to achieve this?

Can't say that I have seen this done, but keep in mind that there's only one control panel that controls all parts of the forum, CMS and blogs.

I can't see why you would need to waste the money with two licenses for the same site. You could just simply make two super admins in your config.php that cannot be modified.

The vBulletin Suite (Forum+CMS+Blogs) is all one integrated product, you can't run the CMS without the forum or separately control it on its own.
    To be updated...

Comment

If you are that 'suspicious' of one another, perhaps you should not be working together.

I am doing almost exactly the same thing right now. I own the forum, the other people own the front end blogging.

You should just make and agreement, make two admins, and if that is not enough each of you save a copy of the backups.
      Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by ENF View Post
        Can't say that I have seen this done, but keep in mind that there's only one control panel that controls all parts of the forum, CMS and blogs.

I can't see why you would need to waste the money with two licenses for the same site. You could just simply make two super admins in your config.php that cannot be modified.

The vBulletin Suite (Forum+CMS+Blogs) is all one integrated product, you can't run the CMS without the forum or separately control it on its own.
        Thanks for the prompt replies above.

====================

Could you clarify something about the config.php file. Once this has been saved, would it be difficult for an administrator to modify it, assuming knowledge of PHP code; or could it be made so that it would be impossible to modify?

Comment

Originally posted by socceronly View Post
          If you are that 'suspicious' of one another, perhaps you should not be working together.

I am doing almost exactly the same thing right now. I own the forum, the other people own the front end blogging.

You should just make and agreement, make two admins, and if that is not enough each of you save a copy of the backups.
          I know of one occasion where an administrator has demoted the two other admins, thus taking control of the forum. Now that we are aware of the danger, we don't want it to happen to us.

If we save separate copies of the backups, how would this get around the problem of one admin demoting the other; surely, the demoted admin would not be able to access the system again.

thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by leyther View Post
            Could you clarify something about the config.php file. Once this has been saved, would it be difficult for an administrator to modify it, assuming knowledge of PHP code; or could it be made so that it would be impossible to modify?
            Does not need PHP knowledge,only a text editor and FTP access to the site.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Originally posted by leyther View Post
              I know of one occasion where an administrator has demoted the two other admins, thus taking control of the forum. Now that we are aware of the danger, we don't want it to happen to us.

If we save separate copies of the backups, how would this get around the problem of one admin demoting the other; surely, the demoted admin would not be able to access the system again.

thanks.
              No, but the backup could be used to make a new site with all the content.

You need a contract/legal agreement.
              Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X