Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running vB 3.8.x across multiple domains

Hello,

I'd like to inquire as to the licensing of vB 3.x for running across a couple of domains. I'm planning to continue running one database under forum.regionalvariant1.com and forum.regionalvariant2.com, where each site will share most forums yet have their own regional country forums.

The fact is that there would only be one copy of the code running and each domain would be pulling vB code from the same source.

Some side notes:

- Purchasing a vB 4 license is simply not an option for me. I see no reason for the increased licensing costs nor any value to myself in particular. I wouldn't mind purchasing another vbulletin 3 license under the old conditions.

- The coding for this is very straight-forward to me and I have no issues with modifying the code, which does not actually pertain to my question.
    Reading and setting cookies based on $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'] is simple enough.

- I like the 3.x series and I've spend a lot of time creating very customised plugins. Templates already seem like they would be a real pain to convert. I just counted that I have 332 custom templates across 3 styles that I'd have to redo.

- This is going in the pre-sales forum because I'm not able to get into the priority support forum, even though I bought vB 6 years ago.

Originally posted by Andem View Post
    I'd like to inquire as to the licensing of vB 3.x for running across a couple of domains. I'm planning to continue running one database under forum.regionalvariant1.com and forum.regionalvariant2.com, where each site will share most forums yet have their own regional country forums.
    You will need two licences for that because the content of the two forums will be different.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
      You will need two licences for that because the content of the two forums will be different.
      Essentially they won't be different. I'll just hide a regional forum/show a regional forum depending on which domain they'll be accessing.

Comment

After just finding another thread on this topic, I suppose I could simply create my own alternate index.php and use that to show different forums. I wouldn't be breaking the license because it's my own code. Anyone else want to chime in with their opinion?

Comment

One vBulletin Software installation allows you to use it on one domain. To use a second domain eg: forums.domain2.com you will need a second license. Internet Brands released a modification for what you were after however it required a second license.

The only way around this is to have the added domains as addon domains but that defeats the purposes of what you are after.

For a second license there are a number of admin websites around where people are selling second hand licenses.

Comment

if u are installing the software on same domain in another directory then u must purchase a new license.
            Mastiya

Comment

Just read http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ense-agreement what you can do and can't do.

Comment

If you are going to show / hide certain forums based on the url, you will need two licenses.

If you used something like vbadvanced, edited to work on a different domain, I really don't know. That's a good question.

If you created your own php file to pull the info from the database, and that php file doesn't use any of the vbulletin functions, then I think you should be okay.

That's just my take though.
                Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

btw, I think you one of the best themed forums I've seen. I wouldn't even know it was vbulletin if it wasn't for the footer.
                  Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll be looking around for an additional 3.8.4 license.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X