No announcement yet.

Is there a licence that never expires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a licence that never expires?

Well just like the title says. Is there a licence that never expires? And if so which one?

You only have two choices for new purchases -- the suite or the forum only. Both will receive updates for the life of vb4.

vb5 whenever they release it, will be a new purchase.

Pricing for vb5 has not been announced but it was around $200 for those of us with vb3 licenses to upgrade to vb4.
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

And you can run vb4 for as long as you want. You don't have to upgrade to 5 when that happens.

And you'll have access to 3.8.x if you want it and can run that as long as you want with a vb4 license.
      Quarrels and Quills - always in need of more members
      RPG Tools

Comment

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra View Post
        Pricing for vb5 has not been announced but it was around $200 for those of us with vb3 licenses to upgrade to vb4.
        Just to temper your scare tactics , you can pretty much rest assured you're not going to be paying the same amount for 5 as you did for 4. This version was the biggest jump in the series, including by-default the Blog and CMS component.

I think it's safe to assume that the cost will be the equivalent to the old $40-$60/year for each license year between Dec09 and release. I'm ball-parking 3, so about $120-180 max. (Which you would have paid under the previous structure anyway.)

Regardless, Kratos, you'll be able to run vB4.x as long as you want to. Only your ability to download bug fixes/security updates depends on your paid license status.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkham View Post
          you can pretty much rest assured you're not going to be paying the same amount for 5 as you did for 4. This version was the biggest jump in the series, including by-default the Blog and CMS component.
          What evidence have you got for this? vBulletin 3 Forum users were asked to pay $175 to upgrade to vBulletin 4 Forum. This was a one-for-one upgrade. Perhaps you are thinking of the Suite which included the Blog and CMS? This was a $235 upgrade from vBulletin 3 Forum -> vBulletin 4 Suite, even if you had already paid for the Blog and Project Tools.

I think it's safe to assume that the cost will be the equivalent to the old $40-$60/year for each license year between Dec09 and release. I'm ball-parking 3, so about $120-180 max. (Which you would have paid under the previous structure anyway.)
          Again I request evidence.

Regardless, Kratos, you'll be able to run vB4.x as long as you want to. Only your ability to download bug fixes/security updates depends on your paid license status.
          Once you purchase a vBulletin 4 license, you have access to all future releases, bug fixes, and security updates for vBulletin 3 and vBulletin 4, even after vBulletin 5 is released. You are only locked out of vBulletin 5.

I feel like a broken record posting this stuff, but as long as people try to gloss over the vBulletin 3 -> vBulletin 4 pricing increase, or do some revisionist history, I'll be here.

Comment

Arkham -- I'd also like you to cite your sources. I read the boards here regularly and at no time did I see any staff member make any comments that would allude to what you are stating.
            Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
              I feel like a broken record posting this stuff, but as long as people try to gloss over the vBulletin 3 -> vBulletin 4 pricing increase, or do some revisionist history, I'll be here.
              So in order to keep you here we need to make stuff up...
              Quarrels and Quills - always in need of more members
              RPG Tools

Comment

I'm surprised I'm posting as much as I am, considering I have no investment or financial incentive in the future of vBulletin 4.

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
                  What evidence have you got for this?[/I].

Again I request evidence.

Arkham -- I'd also like you to cite your sources. I read the boards here regularly and at no time did I see any staff member make any comments that would allude to what you are stating.
                  I knew two of your ilk would be the first to cry foul over that post.

You should read it again. It was my reasonable guess, since no pricing has ever been announced. That's just as valid as the "We're going to have to pay 300 for vb5 again!" nonsense that your camp has been shouting.

Seriously, it's only common sense to expect that because we're not paying yearly licensing fees (let's call it $50/year to account for the old 40-60 range), that IB will still want something equivalent in total for the next version, but certainly not the 250-1000 that some absurd posters have said.

Right now that makes a lot more sense than them charging $300 per version. We should just all agree that the pricing is up in the air and leave it at that. With people continually harping on some mythical nefarious pricing scheme, everyone gets riled up. Pointless.

I'm surprised I'm posting as much as I am, considering I have no investment or financial incentive in the future of vBulletin 4.
                  I think a lot of people are also surprised at the number of people in your position.
                  Last edited by Arkham; Wed 2 Jun '10, 7:43am.

Comment

You should read it again. It was my reasonable guess, since no pricing has ever been announced. That's just as valid as the "We're going to have to pay 300 for vb5 again!" nonsense that your camp has been shouting.
                    Since none of the staff have said even hinted at that, I feel that your assumptions should really be noted as such.

On the other hand, while you may not like my rational I provided, I at least provided the historical basis behind my thoughts so the original poster can make his own decision.

Incidentally, I said around $200 -- and you even said upwards of $180 so I have no idea why you are giving me grief when you came up with roughly the same figures through a separate line of reasoning.

Of course, I welcome an official statement from a representative of Internet Brands to quantify and clarify this continued point of confusion.

Seriously, it's only common sense to expect that because we're not paying yearly licensing fees (let's call it $50/year to account for the old 40-60 range), that IB will still want something equivalent in total for the next version, but certainly not the 250-1000 that some absurd posters have said.
                    I don't see the logic in that seeing as the vbulletin team already asked those who already had an "owned license" and up to date members area access to pay $200+ for vb4.

Worse yet, those who purchased the blog for 3.8 should have every right to the blog in 4.0 but they were forced to upgrade for even more money.

Sorry, but facts are facts and this is a verifiable account of what they already did and could possibly do again.

If the original poster or any other potential customer wants to go for that, great, but they should know what they are walking into and not get blind sided with a $200+ charge for the next version when you are saying otherwise.
                    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Since none of the staff have said even hinted at that, I feel that your assumptions should really be noted as such.
                      You just interpreted what you wanted to interpret to continue your tirade against vB. They were clear identified as assumptions. People like you here just thrive on instigating things, so I'll let you at it.

Occasionally you have to acknowledge alternative opinions, no matter how irrational they may seem to you. Trust me, a lot of us do this on a daily basis after reading certain attitudes around here.

Comment

What tirade? Like yourself, I've been a customer for about 10 years now and would like to see vbulletin get back into their A game. They've had plenty of mis-steps in the last 6 months and while they are on the road to correcting some of the issues, some issues are still left up in the air or are not at the level where they should be.
                        Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

What tirade? Like yourself, I've been a customer for about 10 years now and would like to see vbulletin get back into their A game. They've had plenty of mis-steps in the last 6 months and while they are on the road to correcting some of the issues, some issues are still left up in the air or are not at the level where they should be.
                          I entirely agree. I'm looking forward to more posts like this from you in the future.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X