Is Heavy Modification Allowed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Heavy Modification Allowed?

I'd to like to purchase vBulletin, yet integrate it directly with my website, which would mean I would completely redesign the GUI of the actual thread-listing interface with custom PHP and HTML, essentially using for the most part only the behind the scenes scripts and database tables. For example, let's say Id like to have a relatively small box on the homepage list threads with my own custom design, yet without any navigation, location trail (Form -> vBulletin Sales and Feedback -> vBulletin Presale), search and all the other stuff that is part of the traditional setup. Is this allowed?

Thanks

Sure, you can transform the code as you want as long as you do not resell our code, release our code as whole, etc, you can check the License Agreement for full details of what you are allowed and not allowed to do.

But you can modifiy all of the source code if you wish.

Comment

Fantastic! Thank you. Another question I have then is how to deal with the copyright notice. Since it is a site with a small forum-type feature, and not a forum AS a site, where/how do I place the copyright notice? I have no problem doing so besides the fact that we too have a company name and copyright notice in the footer of the site, and I obviously do not want to claim official association with vBulletin Solutions, since you are not our parent company as unfortunate as that may be. :P

Comment

You can purchase a branding-free option for an additional $170.00. Otherwise the on-line manual states (a little out-dated now in terms of the text):

The copyright notice must be clearly visible on all forum pages unless you have purchased the Branding Free license option.

Your footer must contain at least the following text and must not be masked by color or images:

Powered by vBulletin®
        Copyright ©2000-2008 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Comment

That's extremely out of date as Jelsoft no longer exists.

UPDATED: The copyright notice must be:

Powered by vBulletin™, Copyright 2000-2010 vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
          Last edited by feldon23; Fri 14 May '10, 9:55am.

Comment

the copyright help is old...

see this forum:
            Powered by vBulletin™ Version 4.0.3
            Copyright © 2010 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
            vBulletin Services I offer: www.Todo10.com
            Technical vB/Server/Hosting support Service also!

Comment

AFAIK, the version number, copyright symbol, and all rights reserved are optional.

UPDATE: removed year.
              Last edited by feldon23; Fri 14 May '10, 9:55am.

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
                That's extremely out of date as Jelsoft no longer exists.

The copyright notice must be:
                I know, it's probably time to update the latest the on-line manual

Comment

The version number is optional. The rest is not.

Comment

Thanks Zachery,

I've modified my post regarding the years. This older thread pointed me to Copyright Office articles (Article 1 and Article 3) about why you have to include the years.

As for the "All rights reserved", the irony is, this was important in 1999, but is pretty outmoded from what I can tell. Any idea why it was added?

Comment

the problem with modding the forum the way you want is you loose any support for the product.

if the forums no longer work you will be S.O.L this is the same no matter what forum software you get.

Comment

If you are able to write your own code well enough to drasticly change the operation of the software, I'm sure you can figure stuff out on your own

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Anime View Post
                          the problem with modding the forum the way you want is you loose any support for the product.

if the forums no longer work you will be S.O.L this is the same no matter what forum software you get.
                          You don't lose support by modifying the HTML templates. vBulletin 3.x has a built-in template comparison tool to see side-by-side the changes. And vB4 has an auto-merge tool.

And the Plugin system added in vBulletin 3.5 and greatly expanded in 3.6 allows substantial changes and features to be added without 'hacking' the original files.

Plugins do not modify the original code, and thus can be switched on and off as needed. And there are over 800 places within the vBulletin code where Plugins can execute.

Comment

From what I have read in the past on vb.com... and I have it bookmarked somewhere in these thousands of bookmarks..

You can replace the copyright text with an image although it must be clean and very legible with the same required information to be displayed.

I could be wrong, have not heard of this since the 4.0 license so you would need to confirm.

Edit: Here is my source > http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ghlight=hacked

Also word to the wise, unless your modifying it so it's easily reproduced i.e. modular versus hard-coding or similar then your going to have issues when upgrading, either that or it will take you a very long time to go through an upgrade process it depends on how heavily you modify it.

Former vBulletin Support Staff
                            Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
                            Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X