Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use vBulletin 4 with/for directory listing?? or combine with eSyndicat??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use vBulletin 4 with/for directory listing?? or combine with eSyndicat??

I've almost decided on VB4 to replace a current Google Groups email list, but wondering if i need to use additional software to do what I want or whether VB4 does this:

I have a group of business people with different but often overlapping specialties & wanted them to be able to list them in a few categories if possible ... Is there a way of combining user profiles into a directory-type page & maybe using some keywords or tags in certain fields to automatically create listings under various categories?

If not --- does anyone know of a forum using vBulletin (3.x or 4) that's also using on same server a directory system, eg something like eSyndicat or even phplinkdirectory?? Any advice gratefully received!

vBulletin 4 and directories -- someone?? ANYone??

Hi all, no replies yet - surely I'm not the only person wanting to do this! Any thoughts out there? I've done some work with a VB 3.8 site but all the new changes in VB4 are pretty impressive & I'm wondering if there's a way to set up an internal directory within VB4 so that I don't even need another directory?? anyone know??

Originally posted by fitzloy View Post
    I've almost decided on VB4 to replace a current Google Groups email list, but wondering if i need to use additional software to do what I want or whether VB4 does this:

I have a group of business people with different but often overlapping specialties & wanted them to be able to list them in a few categories if possible ... Is there a way of combining user profiles into a directory-type page & maybe using some keywords or tags in certain fields to automatically create listings under various categories?

If not --- does anyone know of a forum using vBulletin (3.x or 4) that's also using on same server a directory system, eg something like eSyndicat or even phplinkdirectory?? Any advice gratefully received!

Comment

eSyndicat is one of many, many directory options I have been looking at for the past year. None of them really offer a decent level of integration (e.g. log into one means logging into both), and a dual-login situation is a user-experience no-no.

The two options for me have come down to IndexU and phplinkdirectory, but neither of them offer single-login or 4.x integration. Whenever you ask the phpld team if something is possible or planned, you'll get a canned response saying "Not possible right now, but we have a great team charging 30 bucks and hour, and your project would take 2-3 hours." (It's always "2-3 hours".)

IndexU and phpld are probably the best, most cost-effective solutions, and phpld seems to offer more flexibility if you're willing to pay another hundred bucks or so.

vBadvanced Link Directory is functional, but rather basic. It doesn't offer any of the standard features you'd find in a stand-alone script (eg featured listings/sponsorships, import/export (including DMOZ etc), but you do get 100% vBulletin integration. (Because of the level of integration, I still haven't fully ruled it out.)

You could also use a Joomla-based directory solution (eg Mosets Tree, or Sobi2/SobiPro) and rely on JFusion, but that might be a bit overkill in terms of complexity. You'd still have to deal with the templates (as with IndexU/phpld) if you care about sharing a common look-and-feel with your vB side.

I've already thought about a directory-like custom content type, but, as with reviews, there's a lot more needed behind the scenes than just a display-type. You could enter listings/reviews manually, but bulk importing them would be next to impossible for non-programmers. There wouldn't be reciprocal link checking, featured/sponsored listings, auto thumbnails ... basicially nothing that makes a link directory a link directory, apart from the end-product page displaying the information.

This is one reason why I wish vB was more modular, at least in the sense that user integration could be achieved a lot easier than it is now. I would gladly pay $100--hell, $200--for an official full-featured directory/review product along the lines of Mosets Tree or Sobi.

From what you've described you want to achieve, vBadvanced Link Directory might suit you just fine. If you haven't already looked at it, give it a look. There's nothing remotely like it for vBulletin, and therefore defaults to a best-of-breed status.

(I purposely left out GARS/Geek Article & Review system because it's future is uncertain. You might want to keep an eye on that one over the coming weeks (?) to see if they'll do a version for 4.x.)

Good luck! And please keep us posted on your progress. I'd be very interested to see how it works out for you.

Comment

Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply Arkham! Yes I had briefly canvassed vBadvanced Link Dir but it seemed way too low-level, however I will take a proper look - maybe that's the solution! I don't want to spend time coding. I'm not familiar with Joomla so that adds a level of complexity i hadn't considered before! Having said that ... maybe i could consider Joomla instead of Wordpress for the non-forum pages of the site that will host the forum? (aagh more to learn) ... thanks for the tip about GARS, I will check it out. More thinking to be done! Another factor will be which programs are supported by my favourite hosting company .. I will switch hosts if i have to but would be nice to stay. I will post again with progress!

Comment

u can hire a programmer to make a dir mod for you
          Mastiya

Comment

could be the best solution! .. but I'd like to find something that I don't have to rework everytime there's an upgrade ...

Comment

Originally posted by funmasti View Post
              u can hire a programmer to make a dir mod for you
              You could hire a programmer to do anything, but I think in this case involving a full-featured link directory, it would be cost-prohibitive to re-invent the wheel. The money would be better spent on a custom job to integrate vB with an existing product.

Fiztloy, there is another directory-type program called phpmydirectory that is more of a business directory/yellow pages style of directory. I think it has decent login and session integration, and I've recently seen a third-party site that offer's terrific template integration between the two systems. You can find out more about the template integration here. The phpmydirectory product site is here.

Comment

You could also potentially use reviewpost from photopost. It would require some modification, but it does integrate well with VB 4.

Comment

Originally posted by rickvr View Post
                  You could also potentially use reviewpost from photopost. It would require some modification, but it does integrate well with VB 4.
                  True, with a lot of work (and potentially $ for custom programming) it could fulfill the basic requirements of a directory.

It's a great product with good vB integration, but it wouldn't be better as a full-featured links directory than say vBA Links. I don't think ReviewPost supports link checking, reciprocal links, sponsor/featured links/items, and a myriad of other fundamental link dir script features.

I agree it's a terrific option for a basic database of information, but I think in terms of a directory it would require too much work to match dedicated scripts.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X