License questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License questions

Now before you guys start telling me to search the other topics and what not, I just want to say that I have done so. I am having a little bit of trouble understanding the whole license issue, as well as prices, renewals, transferrals, etc.

I am going to be purchasing vBulletin forum software from someone who is selling on another forum. What proper steps do I take in this? Apparently the license expires on the 26th of August. What would the renewal fee be and what exactly would I be renewing for? It says under 'Status/Type' that it is 'Active' and 'vBulletin 3.x Forum (Owned)'. Is this a proper license or am I victim to be charged a brand new license fee to be able to upgrade or download 4.0?

Hoping that my questions get answered soon. Thanks guys!

owned licences do NOT have to be upgraded, however once 3.x.x goes eol you no longer will get updates or patches. at some point you will need to upgrade to 4.x.x and pay the fee required

Comment

So the license that this guy is selling me pretty much guarantees me everything to do with 3.x, but once vBulletin stop development with version 3, I'll be forced to pay the new fee for version 4?

Comment

No, that's only partially correct. The licence (as described) will allow you access to 3.8.x updates until it expires. It there are further updates released after the expiry date you will need to buy a vB4 licence to access them.

Comment

Thanks for replying zappaDPJ. So judging by all the information I've provided, is it really worth buying this license (which he is charging me $75 for) or should I just wait it out a bit until people are selling version 4 licenses?

Comment

I think you need to draw your own conclusions but I'd point out that assuming a successful transfer you would then be able to run vB3.8.x for as long as you choose. You won't however be able to access new updates on expiry which might well mean leaving your forum open to vulnerabilities. If that's important to you then you might want to consider an alternative route.

Comment

Ok. I've just asked the seller and he states that with this license, I will still be able to download and run version 4, however once the license expires I will be unable to have access to updates and patches, unless I pay the renewal fee. What is the renewal fee by the way?

Is this information that he is providing me with correct?

Comment

That information is correct although there are no 'renewal fees' as such. When the licence expires you will need to buy a vB4.0 licence for which as the current owner of an owned licence there is a small discount. The cost to you would be $175.

Comment

Very well. I understand now, thanks for that once again zappaDPJ. So I'm pretty much paying $75 for 4 months of use before I have to pay $175. Thanks for all your help, I'm sure it won't be the last topic I create.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X