Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HondaATC
    replied
    I haven't had experience with that particular situation, but in the config file that you can edit/upload via FTP, there is a value for super admin. You should be able to set that to the user ID of another account, and then be able to login and access the vbulletin administration panel. Thats my opinion with about 8 years of vBulletin experience, but dont take it as gospel

Leave a comment:

• flyfifer
    replied
    Thanks for the quick response. The only thing that still isn't clear to me is whether the admin privileges from the old site will be copied over. Surely, if I upgrade an existing database instance of vB3, I also get the admin privileges that it already contains? Or is the assumption that I will already have done the back-door update of my own account through the file system before attempting the upgrade?

Graham.

Leave a comment:

• HondaATC
    replied
    If the vb3 forum isn't modified significantly (And even if it is, you can still do it, you just need some additional steps) You should be able to purchase a new vb4 license, import your database, set it as the one your using in your config file, and run the upgrade script, which is pretty much what I did with my own site. I will warn you though, that vb4 IS more server intensive than vb3. The straight forum software isn't too much more, but if your planning on using the suite, its a significant difference. It sounds like, due to the webhost your going to need an upgraded account anyways, but keep that in mind.

Might check this thread back when I was asking about doing the same thing more or less: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...x-thats-modded

Leave a comment:

• flyfifer
    started a topic Migrate Only Content

Migrate Only Content

I know that this sounds like a support question for an existing vB installation, but bear with me...

I've been asked to take over a vB3 forum for a client. Their previous web admin has left and will not supply them with admin access to their website nor will they supply them with their license details despite technically being owned by my customer and not them. They do have all the access controls that they need to their physical web space and database, however.

This has become critical as their current web host has currently suspended the account due to continued CPU load limit violation on the image.php file. As a result, I can't physically get in through the web front end to make myself an admin. We might be able to persuade their webhost for leniency, but I doubt it. From the sounds of things, patience has run out...

So, ultimately, this is now a question of whether I can do a fresh install of vB4 on a new license and migrate the vB3 content and users into it. If the answer to that is yes, then a purchase of a new (non-upgrade) vB4 license becomes a no-brainer for them. If the answer is no then my client will accept that they have lost all their previous data and do a full market evaluation on which vendor's software they should purchase.

Kind regards,
    Graham.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X