Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VB3 vs VB4 performance

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • VB3 vs VB4 performance

    Should I assume that VB4 will be less server intensive than VB3 due to it being newer and most likely using smarter and leaner coding?

    We currently use VB3 and have a large user base which can sometimes bring our server to the brink of it's stability. I was wondering if upgrading to VB4 would extend the server's life somewhat before we have to consider upgrading to a new server.

    Cheers!
    http://www.sticksports.com

  • #2
    Originally posted by DFC005 View Post
    Should I assume that VB4 will be less server intensive than VB3 due to it being newer and most likely using smarter and leaner coding?
    Don't assume it.


    vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

    Comment


    • #3
      Expect your server load to go up by around 50%. That's my experiance.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DFC005 View Post
        Should I assume that VB4 will be less server intensive than VB3 due to it being newer and most likely using smarter and leaner coding?

        We currently use VB3 and have a large user base which can sometimes bring our server to the brink of it's stability. I was wondering if upgrading to VB4 would extend the server's life somewhat before we have to consider upgrading to a new server.

        Cheers!
        the bold part will turn to this for vB 4 (for you):
        most of the time, will bring our server to the brink of it's stability.
        sometimes, will blow out the server completely

        Comment


        • #5
          Upgrade your server before going for vB4. Double the RAM, get better processors and a fast drive.
          something...

          Comment


          • #6
            From personal expirence, vBulletin 4 vs vBulletin 3's php/mysql time is about the same. Though since vBulletin 4 is serving more content (more css, more javascript, and in some cases more small images) it can put more stress on a undertuned server. There is lots you can do to decrease the load of your php app server like putting images/javascript into a CDN, or even another offsite cheap webhost.

            Comment


            • #7
              It should not have to come to that, but since it has, it would be great if there was a tutorial made on how to best do the CDN thing you said.
              Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by hornstar6969 View Post
                It should not have to come to that, but since it has, it would be great if there was a tutorial made on how to best do the CDN thing you said.
                Here's some handy links for that:
                http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=223251
                http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=234486
                http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...h-ranking.html (see the dot points)

                First thing to do though would be to run something like YSlow or WebPage test and work on the items with poor scores.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Hemanth View Post
                  Upgrade your server before going for vB4. Double the RAM, get better processors and a fast drive.
                  Probably worthwhile making sure you have got everything you can out of your existing server first (ie fine tune).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DFC005 View Post
                    Should I assume that VB4 will be less server intensive than VB3 due to it being newer and most likely using smarter and leaner coding?
                    vb4 is based on vb3 code
                    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/images/editor/smilie.gif

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by lim (x-7x) = ∞ View Post
                      vb4 is based on vb3 code

                      however vb4 IS slower to load

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        vBulletin 4 will require a more powerful server, pound-for-pound, than vBulletin 3.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
                          Don't assume it.
                          Originally posted by wynode View Post
                          Expect your server load to go up by around 50%. That's my experiance.
                          Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
                          vBulletin 4 will require a more powerful server, pound-for-pound, than vBulletin 3.
                          So what exactly is the apparent reasoning for this? From what I have heard, VB4's code isn't that much different from VB3.8.x. Are there specific areas that VB4 is slower on the same server that would run a VB3.8 forum?
                          vBulletin Owner since 2002!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            First step you can do is to optimize your PNG images.
                            VB4 PNG images are currently not optimized.
                            I have optimized them and attached it to this issue: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/proje...?issueid=37648

                            Another thing you can do it to get rid of the rounded corners, this will speed up your vb4 extermely.
                            Add this code to the bottom of your additional.css
                            Code:
                            * { -moz-box-shadow: none !important; }
                            * { -webkit-box-shadow: none !important; }
                            
                            * { -moz-border-radius: 0px !important; }
                            * { -webkit-border-radius: 0px !important; }
                            You can also read this tutorial: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...s!-vBulletin-4!
                            פורומים
                            IDANTECH Forums
                            Facebook Status

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by satlazone View Post
                              First step you can do is to optimize your PNG images.
                              VB4 PNG images are currently not optimized.
                              I have optimized them and attached it to this issue: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/proje...?issueid=37648

                              Another thing you can do it to get rid of the rounded corners, this will speed up your vb4 extermely.
                              Add this code to the bottom of your additional.css
                              Code:
                              * { -moz-box-shadow: none !important; }
                              * { -webkit-box-shadow: none !important; }
                              
                              * { -moz-border-radius: 0px !important; }
                              * { -webkit-border-radius: 0px !important; }
                              You can also read this tutorial: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...s!-vBulletin-4!
                              Thanks for the info, I'll take a look at the link.

                              However, the way the guys above are talking there is more than images and corners that affect VB4's performance compared to VB3. It is those things that I am interested in as I am considering moving to VB4 but am on a shared server. If I suddenly caused a 50% increase in resource usage I would be kicked off quick smart....
                              vBulletin Owner since 2002!

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X