Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My licenses are expiring what are my options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beishe8
    replied
    Originally posted by slinky View Post
    vB decided to price in a way where there is no resale market and give incentive all customers to buy from them. It's just the math and why some customers were upset.
    Correct.

Leave a comment:

• slinky
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery View Post
    Owned licenses are far from worthless. Please stop spreading fud around about licenses. You can upgrade from a v3 license to a v4 license for 175 USD per license, upgrades get bulk discounts if you upgrade at the same time. Any discounts in general are applied to the number of licenses you have.
    I agree with you in one respect - an owned license is worth something since it does allow you to run a vBulletin forum. But let's get to the facts:

Since vB decided to make a VB 3 to VB 4 upgrade almost 90% of the price of a new license (usually it's 40-60%), the actual street value of a vB 3 license is... probably about $3-5. Nobody will buy a customer's owned license and deal with the hassle of transfer for the difference of a few dollars. vB decided to price in a way where there is no resale market and give incentive all customers to buy from them. It's just the math and why some customers were upset.

Leave a comment:

• feldon23
    replied
    To accommodate for everyone, they'd have to bring vB3 back into active development.

This is the best we can hope for.

Leave a comment:

• smiggy
    replied
    Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
    Looks like we now have an option for vBulletin 3. This is something I campaigned hard for, and I intend to buy it.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...intenance-pack
    It doesn't accommodate for everyone though.

Leave a comment:

• feldon23
    replied
    Looks like we now have an option for vBulletin 3. This is something I campaigned hard for, and I intend to buy it.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...intenance-pack

Leave a comment:

• tsj5j
    replied
    I've voted with my wallet.

I purchased IPB on merit, on their fulfilled promises, and their quality support.
    The main issue here is that VB4 has been out half a year and I've not seen significant progress/improvements.

Leave a comment:

• Phaine
    replied
    Yeah its starting to look like we were just getting lip service. Oh well lesson learned and can now make a better choice in the future when it comes to who to do business with and who to avoid.

Leave a comment:

• smiggy
    replied
    Originally posted by Phaine View Post
    I've pretty much given up hope on this, but as someone who purchased a 3x license last year after selling it to my group of friends we all donated and managed to purchase. You guys then changed the structure on us within six months of purchase, and whipped out a new version.

Now I understand that new software comes out periodically and occasionally as a business you may want to change your terms of service and licenses but as someone whom the initial fee was a big deal this pretty much guarantees that I will never do business with you guys again.

I now have 3.8.5 that I cant purchase upgrades for with out buying new software that I dont need. So next time a big security issue comes up which seems to happen every six months or so I'm left with a giant paper weight. Sure I have access to 4.0.2 but... from what I'm reading that has more bugs than is worth it. I tried 4.0 when it was new and a database crash killed my forum early. I really dont want to go through that again.

So as a new customer (1 year) I have no real options. I trusted you last year, bought your product under certain terms which you changed inside of six months and I feel screwed. My only option now is to repurchase your product under new terms, that you could just as easily change again. You are driving me and many others in my position away.

In business word of mouth can really come back to bite you. You want to make money and I can understand that, but when you crush some of your customers under the boots of progress we dont forget, we dont forgive, we just move on to the next best thing.

Not that you listen, but it would be really nice if you would work something out that is a bit more "Customer Friendly" for those of us in positions like mine and similar.
    I wonder when we're (if ever) going to get an update on this?

Adrian said sometime after 4.0.4 is released and it is.

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    replied
    Originally posted by Boofo View Post
    You wouldn't like it if someone said you you were in the suckup camp, would you?
    Shush, you.

(I was actually fairly toxic for a week or so in the beginning, but over time it just became a bandwagon to jump on.)

Leave a comment:

• Phaine
    replied
    I've pretty much given up hope on this, but as someone who purchased a 3x license last year after selling it to my group of friends we all donated and managed to purchase. You guys then changed the structure on us within six months of purchase, and whipped out a new version.

Now I understand that new software comes out periodically and occasionally as a business you may want to change your terms of service and licenses but as someone whom the initial fee was a big deal this pretty much guarantees that I will never do business with you guys again.

I now have 3.8.5 that I cant purchase upgrades for with out buying new software that I dont need. So next time a big security issue comes up which seems to happen every six months or so I'm left with a giant paper weight. Sure I have access to 4.0.2 but... from what I'm reading that has more bugs than is worth it. I tried 4.0 when it was new and a database crash killed my forum early. I really dont want to go through that again.

So as a new customer (1 year) I have no real options. I trusted you last year, bought your product under certain terms which you changed inside of six months and I feel screwed. My only option now is to repurchase your product under new terms, that you could just as easily change again. You are driving me and many others in my position away.

In business word of mouth can really come back to bite you. You want to make money and I can understand that, but when you crush some of your customers under the boots of progress we dont forget, we dont forgive, we just move on to the next best thing.

Not that you listen, but it would be really nice if you would work something out that is a bit more "Customer Friendly" for those of us in positions like mine and similar.

Leave a comment:

• Boofo
    replied
    Originally posted by Ace View Post
    Where, pray tell, is the insult? Telling someone that they are one of the crying children, because they are constantly complaining? No insult, simple observation of which camp they fall into.
    You wouldn't like it if someone said you you were in the suckup camp, would you?

Leave a comment:

• sportsfi
    replied
    Originally posted by BNL View Post
    Ok...what do I do with our license, we bought the one that you have to renew annually, we do not want the V4 and want to keep running 3.8.2 as we have no problems and it does all we want it to-we are a small board. We got an email from Gheorghe Pantea ([email protected])saying VBulletin doesn't show our license on file and we do have one. Thank you.
    Make sure you have an owned license and not a leased one - if it is owned provide the details to vBulletin through a support ticket if it is a leased one then your license has expired and you need to remove the software from your server unless you opt to re-purchase.

Leave a comment:

• smiggy
    replied
    With 4.0.4 out now, we should be getting an announcement regarding this soon.

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied
    Originally posted by BNL View Post
    Ok...what do I do with our license, we bought the one that you have to renew annually, we do not want the V4 and want to keep running 3.8.2 as we have no problems and it does all we want it to-we are a small board. My website Discernthetime.com. We got an email from Gheorghe Pantea ([email protected])saying VBulletin doesn't show our license on file and we do have one. Thank you.
    Have to buy vB4. With it you can run any version of vB.

Leave a comment:

• BNL
    replied
    License renewal due

Ok...what do I do with our license, we bought the one that you have to renew annually, we do not want the V4 and want to keep running 3.8.2 as we have no problems and it does all we want it to-we are a small board. We got an email from Gheorghe Pantea ([email protected])saying VBulletin doesn't show our license on file and we do have one. Thank you.
    Last edited by BNL; Mon 14th Jun '10, 2:07am.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X