Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My licenses are expiring what are my options?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    that means i have to pay $175 for vb 4.0. this is my decision to upgrade my current 3.8 to 4.0 or i wish to run my current 3.8 end of my life. is that true?? actually i am running 3.8.2 version and i am very happy with 3.8.2. please reply me soon because my license is now going to expire in one week.



    Originally posted by IB Adrian View Post
    Ok, hopefully we can ease the confusion for you.
    You essentially have 2 options - you are welcome to continue to utilize the software as it is, for ever and ever, this will cost you nothing.
    If you would like to, you may purchase vBulletin 4.0 software, this will allow you updates for 4.0 and 3.8 until both become end of life respectively.

    I hope that clarifies

    Comment


    • #77
      As I am running 3.8 I can't state empirically what isn't performing well.

      There is ample evidence that many people upgraded to vB4 and experienced so many difficulties that they rolled back to 3.x.
      I know of one site who upgraded, for want of a better word, to vB4 late last year. The guy had so many issues that he just gave up. His forum is gone.
      I know if I were a prospective customer reading these forums and seeing the disquiet of many longstanding customers I would not buy vB4.
      You will find it extremely difficult to tempt anybody back once they have left. You should be doing something now to keep us as customers.
      Last edited by Blubble; Mon 24th May '10, 10:50am. Reason: Typo

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by lolocaust View Post
        seeing the disquiet of many longstanding customers I would not buy vB4.
        You will find it extremely difficult to tempt anybody back once they have left. You should be doing something now to keep us as customers.
        Thing is, most of the complaints are from people (including yourself) that are nowhere near 'longterm customers', it's 90% anecdotal, and the rest is from a small handful of spiteful crusaders full of vitriol for the product and company.

        I'd wager there's still a significant amount of money pouring in, given the volume of people with Mar 2010, Apr 2010, and May 2010 joining dates asking questions in the areas that only Licensed customers can post.
        My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by Ace View Post
          Thing is, most of the complaints are from people (including yourself) that are nowhere near 'longterm customers', it's 90% anecdotal, and the rest is from a small handful of spiteful crusaders full of vitriol for the product and company.

          I'd wager there's still a significant amount of money pouring in, given the volume of people with Mar 2010, Apr 2010, and May 2010 joining dates asking questions in the areas that only Licensed customers can post.
          You really do treat fellow vb customers with utter contempt. Quit it.

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by Oasismad View Post
            You really do treat fellow vb customers with utter contempt. Quit it.
            What makes you think you can tell me what to do? You fall totally into the crying child camp.
            My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
            vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by Floris View Post
              Option a) Stick to what you have, use it, nothing wrong with the 3.x branch of vBulletin. It's visible source you can still edit the files if the features aren't big enough for the customization you need.
              the thing is, to get the latest 3.8 branch, we need to upgrade to vb4 license.
              in addition, they didnt inform all customers through email to preempt about possible vb4 licensing change.
              they suddenly changed the licensing scheme, existing customers unable to renew their licenses for the latest 3.8 branch.


              Originally posted by Ace View Post
              Because changing Stylevars is the same as making a massive financial change that would impact thousands, among them hundreds who did upgrade, and would feel that they had been 'unfairly' treated because now everyone else gets what they paid for, for free? Right?
              they've got the vb4 which is not for free.


              Originally posted by lolocaust View Post
              There is ample evidence that many people upgraded to vB4 and experienced so many difficulties that they rolled back to 3.x.
              I know of one site who upgraded, for want of a better word, to vB4 late last year. The guy had so many issues that he just gave up. His forum is gone.
              I know if I were a prospective customer reading these forums and seeing the disquiet of many longstanding customers I would not buy vB4.
              You will find it extremely difficult to tempt anybody back once they have left. You should be doing something now to keep us as customers.
              Fortunately i only upgraded one of the forum to vb4 and i am very positive about it.
              However, my server load start to increase to an extend members are getting frustrated.
              my forum is the only website in the dedicated server with quad core, 8 GB ram.
              along with that, there are skinning problems and their internal search function (rebuilding search index is pain in the ass) is not as useful as mysql fulltext search. (sphinx search could be an alternative but i've already reverted back to 3.8)
              i reverted back to 3.8, everything back to normal. accessing forum is blazing fast, more relevant search result.

              I will upgrade back to vb4 when there are more positive feedbacks and when the process of skinning improved.

              Comment


              • #82
                You do realize that the new vbulletin search IS mysql fulltext, what you're rebuilding is the content in another table so multicontent search can work with fultext.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by pelican View Post
                  they've got the vb4 which is not for free.
                  Read what I quoted. TL : DR version - the person I quoted wants IB to apply the same thinking to the Licensing change as they did to changing the Stylevars.

                  This would definitely result in multiple people (those who had to pay for the Upgrade, even if it was just to receive the latest 3.8.x version) complaining that they had been misled by the new pricing.
                  My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                  vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by Ace View Post
                    Thing is, most of the complaints are from people (including yourself) that are nowhere near 'longterm customers', it's 90% anecdotal, and the rest is from a small handful of spiteful crusaders full of vitriol for the product and company.

                    I'd wager there's still a significant amount of money pouring in, given the volume of people with Mar 2010, Apr 2010, and May 2010 joining dates asking questions in the areas that only Licensed customers can post.


                    ACE keep in mind a many people have only just joined the support forums looking for help after switching to vb4 from vb3 not everyone with a 2009 2010 FORUM join date just bought vb some of them went YEARS before "needing" forum support.


                    even i was on these forums watching things develop for a year before joining.



                    insulting vb customers is no way for an "Adult" to act

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by Mike Anime View Post
                      insulting vb customers is no way for an "Adult" to act
                      Where, pray tell, is the insult? Telling someone that they are one of the crying children, because they are constantly complaining? No insult, simple observation of which camp they fall into.
                      My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                      vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Ace,

                        You've heard of shooting yourself in the foot?

                        You just blew your whole leg off.

                        We have valid concerns, and we're not "crying children".

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                          You do realize that the new vbulletin search IS mysql fulltext, what you're rebuilding is the content in another table so multicontent search can work with fultext.
                          thanks zach for the note. i really do hope vbulletin 4 could improve and dismiss my bad experience.

                          and hope IB can come out with some arrangement to let existing customers to get the latest 3.8 updates without upgrading to vb4 license.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            I am in the same situation now. I have four owned licenses that have expired support status and I have no desire or intention to upgrade to vB4 at this time. I would simply like an affordable option to upgrade each forum so I can download and install the latest 3.8.x updates.

                            As a developer myself, I completely understand the desire and need to start over with a new licensing system every whole number release. Otherwise, you are better off just maintaining what you have. Basically, a new licensing system for a major new whole number (x.0.0) release helps compensate and justify the development time spent on the new version. However, this should never be done at the expense of existing customers and their existing license/release system.

                            For example, one of my forums can update to 3.8.5 while another one can only update to 3.8.2. Why would any company ever prevent access to primarily security updates by their customers? I can understand not allowing a 3.6.x license to upgrade to a 3.8.5 release but at the very least, even expired owned licenses should always have the ability to download the latest security fixes for their release.

                            All of that being said, I would gladly pay $35 or so for each vBulletin license just to give them all access to 3.8.x updates. That would be $140 that IB would get from me today without eliminating or impacting future upgrades costs to 4.x should I decide to upgrade some or all of the sites later. Instead, I am seriously looking at alternative forum solutions and I have been a vBulletin fan and owner for many years now.

                            I really hope that IB reconsiders their position on 3.8.x only licenses. I would much rather stay with vBulletin, but I cannot justify paying $700+ just to go from 3.6.8, 3.8.2, 3.8.4 and 3.8.5 to the latest 3.8.x release.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by Ace View Post
                              What makes you think you can tell me what to do? You fall totally into the crying child camp.
                              Quite easily. I wont bother throwing petty insults - adults are above and beyond that.

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by Ace View Post
                                Where, pray tell, is the insult? Telling someone that they are one of the crying children, because they are constantly complaining? No insult, simple observation of which camp they fall into.
                                Let's keep the debate professional and impersonal.
                                Attacking me because of a recent join date does not negate a single thing I said.
                                I'm a customer same as you, same as everybody else.
                                I have the right to voice an opinion, which I did, and management has a right to ignore it, if they wish.
                                Nevertheless it would be bad customer relations not to address the issues raised by so many customers.
                                Last edited by Blubble; Tue 25th May '10, 11:44am. Reason: Typo

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X