Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My licenses are expiring what are my options?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    for me the the choice is obvious.
    im going to let mine expire and i will move on to another product.
    youre mad if you think im going to drop $175 on vb4.
    Into the Void

    Comment


    • #32
      No update on this yet?

      Comment


      • #33
        It's been 4 days.

        Comment


        • #34
          has there been any updates on this?

          Comment


          • #35
            Not as yet, I need to compile a business case to our management for their review, and before I do that I need to understand all the cases as to how adding an additional licensing option will affect every customer situation.
            I am not confident I understand all the implications to every category of customer, and how to handle those implications appropriately - and I am sure that I am preaching to the choir when I say that this is pertinent before the creation of any licensing changes.

            If we make an option available, we would make it available prior to (or with) a 3.8.6 release.
            Adrian

            Comment


            • #36
              Thing that makes me laugh, is that your on vB4.0.W/E now, and still releasing new versions of the 3.8.X Series.
              Jut a random internet person.

              A message to all illegal users!

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by hitmancode47 View Post
                Thing that makes me laugh, is that your on vB4.0.W/E now, and still releasing new versions of the 3.8.X Series.
                We released maintainance versions of 3.7 while we were on 3.8, and 2.x while on 3.0, and 3.0 releases while on 3.5. How is it that funny?

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by hitmancode47 View Post
                  Thing that makes me laugh, is that your on vB4.0.W/E now, and still releasing new versions of the 3.8.X Series.
                  It is standard software development practice to continue to develop your STABLE branch while working on your BETA branch.

                  By the way, what's the URL to your vBulletin 4 forum? I'd like to check it out.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    I believe if there is an option to upgrade to only the latest 3.8.x and purchase only 3.8.x forum license, you will probably start getting some more revenue which could be quite significant.

                    Especially from the group who reluctant to spend another great deal of $ on vb4 and those that have no intention to upgrade beyond 3.8.x.

                    You are missing the cash from this group.

                    From the many feedback you've seen from existing customers, you can estimate the number of existing customers who will take the 3.8.x option.

                    Personally, for my case, i have 10 owned licenses.
                    I only upgraded one of them to vb4.
                    Tested with a large forum of over 1 million posts.
                    I like the cms but i dont really like the vb4 forum as it has many performance issues and skinning problem.
                    I reverted back to 3.8.5
                    I for sure will not be upgrading my 9 other licenses to vb4 until vb4 has shown more improvements.
                    Some of my other licenses are still at 3.6, 3.7. If you come out with 3.8.x licensing option, i will upgrade them to 3.8.x but definitely not vb4 at this moment.

                    Furthermore, if you come out with the 3.8.x licensing upgrade option, existing customers who pay to upgrade their license to 3.8.x with satisfaction, in the future, you can grab their cash again when they are ready to upgrade to vb4.

                    Business point of view. Customer satisfaction, higher conversion rate to vb4 in the future when they are confident of the vb4 product and more upgrade revenue earn from the same customer group (upgrade to 3.8.x + upgrade to vb4 in future).

                    And please, if you ever add new licensing / upgrade pricing, do inform your customers through emails.
                    Do not assume every customer visit this site daily to check out every single thread from IB Staff to get hints for upgrade pricing within a limited period of time.
                    We should not be penalize for not being an active forum reader here as a customer.
                    Last edited by pelican; Wed 12th May '10, 12:13pm.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by dieKetzer View Post
                      for me the the choice is obvious.
                      im going to let mine expire and i will move on to another product.
                      youre mad if you think im going to drop $175 on vb4.

                      for about the same price you can get all the products i have from IPB they even have a sale going on now

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        i got my first one week warning email yesterday. i reckon i will convert a clone over to invision and see what people think.
                        Originally posted by Mike Anime View Post
                        for about the same price you can get all the products i have from IPB they even have a sale going on now
                        Into the Void

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by dieKetzer View Post
                          i got my first one week warning email yesterday. i reckon i will convert a clone over to invision and see what people think.
                          I don't think you will be sorry. They really have their act together, pricing is good (great now with the sale) and they really listen and support their community. It's not just lip service, it's real customer service.

                          Jamie

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            I'm just hacked off that because i was out of the country for 6 months (Training in India), i lost the ability to take up the "early adopters" licence, therefore meaning it'll cost me Shed loads just to upgrade my two registered copies.

                            Personally i believe that if you had a current leased licence at the time of this offer, then you should be allowed the option of upgrading at the option rate, even now - Why discriminate against people that werent able to take up the offer there and then?
                            Especially in the current economic climate.

                            Is it just me, alongside the blunt and "tough" attitude that is being portrayed by Zac, that is starting to feel as if vBulletin Solutions has gotten a little too big for their boots and is soley in it for how much they can rip off their customers??

                            I've never felt this alienated by a company before - and no, i'm not a serial moaner! - I purchased an "owned" licence - which was good forever as long as i payed $40 (or however much) a year, to a licence which COULD POTENTIALLY be valid for 6-12 months only after purchase for 5 times the cost!

                            Tis a sad day.

                            Paul
                            Last edited by Toibs; Thu 13th May '10, 7:42am. Reason: i cant spell!

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Ok, so it seems that people just want the vBulletin 3.8 series (you know, the one the works), and are willing to pay for bug fixes an upgrades, but don't want to pay the ridiculous high price for 4.x just to get the upgrades.
                              So how about just charge a fee for those with expired licenses for maintenance releases? They don't want 4.0 so they shouldn't have to pay so much just to keep 3.8

                              On the subject of IPB (not that I'm trying to advertise or anything), their 3.1 beta is now available, and all their addons were updates as well.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                I don't agree that vB4.0 is a ridiculous price at all. In my view the price is about right and on a par with competitor products. I also have no problem with the new licensing method. What was wrong in my view was the implementation which hopefully VBulletin will address.

                                There should be a way in which those wishing to stay on vB 3.8.x (owned and leased) can upgrade to the new licence model without the need to pay vB4.0 prices. I suspect in all likelihood this would make good business sense because it brings in more short term revenue and long term you retain customers who may well buy into vB4.0 when the product has matured.

                                There are of course problems, particular with those who have already bought a vB4.0 licence purely to maintain a vB 3.8.x platform. I can understand why there is a need to look at all the permutations before making a decision.
                                .

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X