Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My licenses are expiring what are my options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
    I will keep both eyes peeled.
    Me too.

Comment

Hello.

I have an owned license and for the foreseeable future, I plan to stick with the 3.x version and would like only these upgrades (especially the bug fixes).

I hope there will be a license for folks like me who don't plan to fork out that large amount of money for the 4.x. series especially when I purchased the owned license with the understanding that all I would have to pay is a nominal fee annually for upgrades, etc..

Thanks.

Comment

There won't be a license for just vBulletin 3.x, you must buy a vB4 license to get any recent versions of vB3.
        That's it. If you REALLY can't say ANYTHING nice to me at all on this forum, then I am going to go insanely mad at you. I've had enough of the UNTOLD ABUSE you are all giving me and you should really be CONSIDERATE of other people.

Comment

Well, such intensity. You should be shameful at yourself Zachery, the way you talk and negotiate with customers.

Comment

Originally posted by s1dest3pnate View Post
            Adrian, I believe we are all fully aware of this. We are arguing about the unjustifiable cost of us 3.x customers purchasing vB 4.x. We aren't purchasing anything near a brand new or vastly different product, so why the hell would we pay such a price? It's an upgrade, and we should get a fair upgrade price.

Zachery, the way you talk to your customers is careless. If you were the owner of vB or anyone particularly high up in the vB hierarchy, I'd never purchase another vB product again (although I may not regardless due to the crazy cost). Just wanted to share that.
            Originally posted by IB Adrian View Post
            I understood what you are asking for, I can't promise anything, but I will see what I can do for those that are interested purely in running the 3.X series for some time.

Adrian, I think it would be a pretty good sign of good will for IB to consider all owned 3.8 licenses as permanant and permit full upgradeability until end of life. If 4.0 were a fully developed and functioning product perhaps this wouldnt be necessary. But as long as 4.0x is underdeveloped and buggy, I definately understand why some wouldt want to upgrade to it and would want to remain on 3.8x. If you dont extend as I and others have suggested, you will be helping some of these people to other software platforms.

Try to sell it to your superiors as a gesture of good will and a way to keep 3.8x licensees as vB customers. If they havent upgraded to 4.0 by now, they likely wont until they believe in the product, which may take some time.

Just my .02
            vBulletin Hosting - Building my Automotive Forum Network...
            vBulletin FAQ - Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - Car Audio Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum
            Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum - Willys and Jeep Forum

Comment

Good'un! ^

Let's see now how IB respond to these requests.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                You can upgrade from a v3 license to a v4 license for 175 USD per license, upgrades get bulk discounts if you upgrade at the same time. Any discounts in general are applied to the number of licenses you have.

You do not have to upgrade to continue to run the software. What happens is after the download access expires you won't have access to newer versions. If you are happy with vBulletin 3 and do not need newer version you're not required to take any actions.
                But I cannot afford to upgrade my 3 vBulletins to 4.0 as that would cost me nearly $600. And frankly, I don't really want to upgrade them to 4.0 (I'm the type of guy to stay clear of the bleeding edge).

I would like to be able to continue to get support and upgrades for my 3.x vBulletins. After all... I have been investing yearly ($60 every year for each of my 3 licenses) to keep up to date on all three licenses.

I guess what I am hearing is....
                the only way to stay up to date with version 3.x to buy 4.x merely to get access to the support area.

No offense but that doesn't sound reasonable to me. I have been a loyal customer since the very beginning of vBulletin, I kinda feel bummed about this right now.
                Discuss and debate theology at TheologyOnline.com

Comment

Originally posted by Homeworld'sa View Post
                  There won't be a license for just vBulletin 3.x, you must buy a vB4 license to get any recent versions of vB3.
                  Please read Adrian's posts.

Comment

Please read Adrian's posts.
                    Like he said!

Comment

The issue is if IB changes directions and offers a 3.x update option are those who already bought vB4 solely for the reason to get 3.x updates. Will IB offer us refunds (or even credits) for the purchase difference say for the first 30 days the 3.x update option is presented? It would be nice, but Ill believe it when it happens.

As has been suggested in other threads, the least IB could do is make the vB 3.x blog product available for all vB4 suite owners. Weve already bought the vB4 blog so it makes sense to also be able to download the vB3 blog as well.

Comment

So our commitment of buying the owned rather than the leased 12 months ago (at a cost of $80 more) is now worth $20. Yeah, so i've just lost $60... So yeah, it kinda is fud, it's worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by ra87 View Post
                          So our commitment of buying the owned rather than the leased 12 months ago (at a cost of $80 more) is now worth $20. Yeah, so i've just lost $60... So yeah, it kinda is fud, it's worthless.
                          If you would have bought a leased license, when it expires you cannot continue to run the software.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                            If you would have bought a leased license, when it expires you cannot continue to run the software.
                            Zachery, you're a nice guy, but you're coming down on the wrong side of these license discussions.

The customers who got the best end of the License Change deal were Leased customers. They got to upgrade to either the Forum or the Suite for MUCH LESS financial investment than Owned licenses.

Comment

Zachery, you're a nice guy, but you're coming down on the wrong side of these license discussions.

The customers who got the best end of the License Change deal were Leased customers. They got to upgrade to either the Forum or the Suite for MUCH LESS financial investment than Owned licenses.
                              yep but we got five months of advanced semantics for free. And laughed at by staff too.

Comment

Very well. A vBulletin Owned license purchased as recently as 8 months ago is worth $10. That's a 94.6% loss in value.
                                Far from worthless

Originally posted by IB Adrian View Post
                                I understood what you are asking for, I can't promise anything, but I will see what I can do for those that are interested purely in running the 3.X series for some time.
                                please do.

I specifically remember a staff member saying something to the effect of "It is probably a good idea to keep your licenses active" before vb4 was out. I guess to some extent it was good advice, as it increased my current "Time till you're screwed" window a bit more with the ability to squeeze out some more access time to any 3.x updates that may hopefully come out before my members area downloads stop providing the latest updates.

If I could just know that as long as this company intends on supporting 3.x I can continue to purchase support for it as I have done so in the past without committing to the next generation of product at a much higher price point, I would feel somewhat less cheated by these changes that have been made.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X