Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMERGENCY! How can I view a file created with vbulletin WYSIWYG editor?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMERGENCY! How can I view a file created with vbulletin WYSIWYG editor?

Hi, please help me, I have been searching for hours on how to open a file created by vbulletin and can't find a solution. Here is what happened.

I was replying to a message on a forum I am a member of, it was a very detailed message that I do not , or have the time to retype. In the middle of typing the message in the WYSIWYG editor (a text/html editor EXACTLY like the one I am typing this post in right now) my laptop battery went dead without any kind of alert/warning whatsoever!! I was at the very end of my message and just about to send it when this happened. My laptop shut off completely, and when I plugged it in and turned my computer back on , firefox asked me if I wanted to restore the previous browser session and I said yes, it then reopened the browser back to the same forum site and WYSIWYG editor, but the message i had typed was no longer in there! I did a search for my firefox cached files by typing "about:cache" without the quotes, and did a search within the cached files for the text file that contained the message I was typing and found it... (forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=XXXXX)

the XXXXX is the specific thread post I was replying to, I have that number if you need it.
    the file also contains this information (not inside the file, but outside the file itself:

Client: HTTP
    docshell:classified: 1
    request-method:GET
    response-head: HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 02:34:44 GMT
    Server: LiteSpeed
    X-Powered-By: PHP/5.2.13
    Expires: 0
    Cache-Control: private, post-check=0, pre-check=0, max-age=0
    Pragma: no-cache
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
    X-UA-Compatible: IE=7
    Content-Encoding: gzip
    Content-Length: 18214
    charset: ISO-8859-1

I opened the file with Open Office Writer and set the character set to Western Europe ISO-8859-1 (since the charset above shows this)

however, when I opened the file, It appeared to be encrypted or encoded with text and characters like this:

šṁ$ˏG^~ŒNülËïgÝ;ˆžÉëÜ#-##Ñ#ṖN#Ó#–çÛĊõ##ÿÌöẄÁ#ẃŴòäÎ

on the outside of the file (defore opening) the characters look like this: .

.&...H.T.j|=8..

since I need to open the file with the application that created it (WYSIWYG editor by vbulletin)
    because a specific file type was not applied by the editor giving it the file type: application/octet-stream

I was looking for a vbulletin WYSIWYG stand alone editor or online editor because i dont have MySQL database
    on my machine.'

I need to open this file , and have no way to get it to display the proper text can you please refer me to a WYSIWYG editor that is
    compatible with vbulletin that can read this file please? or an online editor i can drop the file into?

I even went back to the forum itself and droped the actual file back into the text box WYSIWYG editor and all it did
    was create the text url path where the file is being stored on my computer...

either that , if i send the file to you can you decode it and send it back to me?

any solution would help. Please

thank you very much!
    Last edited by writeon; Wed 7 Apr '10, 9:45pm. Reason: typos

Ironically, I lost my post that I typed while replying to this.... >.<!

Basically, if you are typing something into the editor - it's not going to be in your cache. The item you are probably seeing is the page that loaded for the "New Reply" page from vBulletin. I doubt your post is stored in there.

I'd recommend typing long, important posts in MS Word or some other text editor and save it to prevent losing your work. I prefer apps like MS Word for Auto-Save and recover, etc. Just copy and paste your completed text into the VB editor when you're ready to post it.

I, like you, have lost many posts due to a browser hang/crash or power loss. I learned awhile back to use another program to write my long replies in. I do wish that vBulletin had a similar feature like what Gmail uses. It saves your emails as drafts while you are typing. You can go back to the draft verison if your computer or browser crashes.

Unless someone knows something I don't, I'm afraid you are out of luck this time around.
    To be updated...

Comment

OK. Thank you very much for your response and your advice. I appreciate it and I will take that advice. That is quite ironic that you lost the post you were typing out while replying to me... strange indeed.

Thanks again )

Comment

I would really like the Reply to Thread button deactivated once a person is typing a message.

I have lost lots of messages hitting that after I am done. So have my users.
        Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by socceronly View Post
          I would really like the Reply to Thread button deactivated once a person is typing a message.

I have lost lots of messages hitting that after I am done. So have my users.
          You could try changing the text. Something like "Advanced Reply" might help people to remember not to click it.
          My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
          vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

Indeed as ENF said it is gone, sorry .
            Something which you didn't send can't possibly be in your cache, if the power would go off while sending-in the post you might have had more luck.

Comment

now if only there was a auto draft saving feature (like you have in emails) :dreamy-eyes:

Comment

Originally posted by CvP View Post
                now if only there was a auto draft saving feature (like you have in emails) :dreamy-eyes:
                This has been proposed so many times...

Comment

Hi Everyone,

thanks for all your replies. The only reason I thought this could be done is because this happened to me before (I know, you think I would have learned from that!) but I'm not sure if I was typing in a forum text message box... it may have been notepad or some other online response box, but something happened and my PC crashed and totally shut off , I was very upset and frustrated, and couldn't even begin to possibly remember what all I had written, and
                  my roommate is a computer whiz, and I asked him if there was anyway to retrieve it, (that's how I found out to check my cached files, he was trying to retrieve it which looked pretty grim and in disgust, I just went and laid down and fell asleep... Next thing I know, my roommate comes and wakes me up and asks me to come and look at this file and tell him if that's what I had been typing (when he started trying to retrieve it, I told him what the message entailed so he knew what to look for) when i got up and went and looked at what he had found, it was a file that had most of what I had written, but in between every few words was a bunch of that jumbled computer code text characters (like what I displayed above) I think the whole file was like that and that he used some kind of program to decipher it, but everything I had written was there with the exception of the last paragraph
                  and I was so ecstatic, and was thanking him and telling him I owed him big time and all that,
                  I guess I didn't think to use a program that saves your work cause in the back of my mind I probably thought that if I ever lost something again, I could retrieve it. But when it happened last night, the first person I called was my ex roommate (he has since moved in with his girlfriend) but his girlfriend said he was out of town on business for the next couple weeks... so that's when i panicked and came to this forum for help. what's strange is I found 2 files, one of them says WYSIWYG and it's got the post # (that's where i put XXXXX, and the other file is a much longer file, and it says "reply to" in it and also the same number XXXXX, they are the only 2 files in the cached folder and the one that says WYSIWYG actually contains the message that I was replying to, so I figured the other file has got to be the message I was typing... I have no idea how my roommate salvaged the other file, cause as in this case, what I had typed was not saved... when he returns back in town, I will find out how he did that and come back here and let you guys know, it definitely has my interest!
                  Thanks again you guys for all your input, I appreciate it!

PS... now that I think about it, what I had been typing when this happened before was something online, I cant remember if it was a forum or not, but i know I was typing a complaint about something and it was in the "Contact us" area of the website where you enter your name and email address and type a message in the message box and click send... I went into great detail explaining to this manager what happened, and it took me about 30 min to do it, finally, when I clicked send, it didn't send, it brought me to the log in page and told me my session had timed out and I needed to log in again... when I logged back in the message was not there, just a blank message box where i could have typed a new message... I was so pissed I couldn't believe it! but my roommate was able to salvage most of what i had written... do you think it's because I had actually clicked the "send" button, that he was able to retrieve it, maybe it was saved somehow and that's how he found it? I'm just curious... I gave up on trying to salvage what i lost last night, but i would be curious to know how he salvaged my message the last time! thanks!
                  Last edited by writeon; Thu 8 Apr '10, 10:20am.

Comment

Quite apart from this being the wrong forum, to get vB support on these forums you first need to be a licensed customer and register for Priority Forum Support. To do this, please go here:

http://members.vbulletin.com/membersupport_priority.php

...and enter your email address in one of the boxes. You'll need to have your customer number and password to access the page.

If you still have problems after doing this, send an email to [email protected]. Please include your user name, the email address you registered with and your customer number so we can fix the problem.
                    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                    -
                    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                    - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
                    - "Quick Route" Interface...
                    - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X