X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MoMan
    replied
    I've long-site taken care of this

11 of my forum's actual PHP files are modified, but I went ahead and just transferred the changes over manually to the new site. It's been up and running since late march, but has more or less been a failure, so I'm probably going to end up selling it off or something. Such a shame

Leave a comment:

• Mike Anime
    replied
    you have to download site2.com's forum files as they will have the correct licence number

Leave a comment:

• feldon23
    replied
    I believe you are required to have the correct license files corresponding to each domain, and thus are not allowed to simply copy the files.

Most vBulletin users do not need to modify their PHP files. vBulletin has a robust Plugin and Template system which doesn't require editing files.

Keeping users and data synched between two forums on two different domains is NOT easy. It is actually quite complex and is a topic discussed at vBulletin.org. You are best to have domain2.com redirect to domain1.com.

Leave a comment:

• ComputerModding
    replied
    Yes you can do this.

All you will be doing is moving the users from the original site to the new one, you can also import all of the categorys, user permissions and posts if needed.

Leave a comment:

• MoMan
    replied
    Premature bump; I'd really link to know the answer to the above question, as I will go ahead and buy another license right away should the answer be no.

Leave a comment:

• MoMan
    replied
    Also, another question-

If I currently have a heavily modified board and a license for site1.com, could I simply buy a license for site2.com and copy the files/db of site1.com? I know that the license number is stored within the actual php files, but will this be a problem?
    Last edited by MoMan; Fri 19 Mar '10, 10:19pm.

Leave a comment:

• MoMan
    started a topic Multiple Forums

Multiple Forums

Edit:

Also, another question-

If I currently have a heavily modified board and a license for site1.com, could I simply buy a license for site2.com and copy the files/db of site1.com? I know that the license number is stored within the actual php files, but will this be a problem?

With the focus of my current forum being somewhat narrow, I am considering starting a second forum website on a separate, but related topic.

---

I'm still deciding between vB3 and IPB for this new website. The main factor that would make me stick with vB would be if I could use the user database from my current forum for new new site (i.e. link all accounts). I read this on vB.org, but was wondering if there was perhaps a simpler and/or supported solution for this.

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by MoMan; Fri 19 Mar '10, 10:19pm.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X