Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbee - q: Features, webhosting, vbulletin sites

Hello,
    I'd like to start a forum or two ... or three.
    I'm on your site because two of the forums that I visit use vbulletin which is a good recommendation.
    One site is huge with many nested forums? Is that what you call "Unlimited Hierarchy of Forums"?
    Is your license for (1) domain name or can I use it to create several forums with different domain names?
    Is there a listing of vbulletin forums somewhere so I can brouse through to see how it has been customized?
    Is there a list of hosting services that you can recommend?
    I saw that you had several standard custom boards and that you sell customization. What do I need to know to customize it myself to my preference; or how would I get an idea of the cost for you to customize?

Thanks very much

Tim

Originally posted by Tim_K View Post
    Is your license for (1) domain name or can I use it to create several forums with different domain names?
    1 licence > 1 installation.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Hello,
      I'd like to start a forum or two ... or three.
      I'm on your site because two of the forums that I visit use vbulletin which is a good recommendation.
      One site is huge with many nested forums? Is that what you call "Unlimited Hierarchy of Forums"?
      There is no limit to the number of forums you can create. Also I have never seen a forum that requires more than 3 level of sub-forums.
      1 license is for 1 domain only.
      Is there a listing of vbulletin forums somewhere so I can brouse through to see how it has been customized?
      Try this: BOTM winners
      Is there a list of hosting services that you can recommend?
      I personally use theplanet, but it's your call.
      I saw that you had several standard custom boards and that you sell customization. What do I need to know to customize it myself to my preference; or how would I get an idea of the cost for you to customize?
      You only need to go to vbulletin.org for all the customizations you are going to need.
      Owner: Oracle Forums - General Discussion Forums.

Comment

OK - Thanks for the replies, recommendation and for clarifying. -Tim

Comment

OK - Thanks for the replies, recommendation and for clarifying. -Tim
          www.webhostingtalk.com is your best bet to find the best host for you.

Comment

Hello sadikb

As a newbee, I am confused about this whole thing. Wow - that is a real busy page. It is written in a language that is foreign to me. It looks like it will take 100 years to go through that page with all the links.

QUESTION FOR VBULLETIN
            Can I go through the monthly forum winner list, pick out a forum and just make some button, color, and logo changes ... maybe add some of the mods and whatnot and get a quote?

Or, is there a list somewhere of mod's/templates/etc with product numbers so I put a list together of "parts" that define a site? Or, is there a menu where you pick one from column A and one from column B?

Mike,
            Thanks for that reference to hosting services.

Tim

Comment

Hello Tim,

Relax. It's not as difficult as it sounds. The only way you can figure this out if you fall headlong in it. It takes time but gets easier with time.

As a newbee, I am confused about this whole thing. Wow - that is a real busy page. It is written in a language that is foreign to me. It looks like it will take 100 years to go through that page with all the links.
              Which page are you referring to?

QUESTION FOR VBULLETIN
              Can I go through the monthly forum winner list, pick out a forum and just make some button, color, and logo changes ... maybe add some of the mods and whatnot and get a quote?

Or, is there a list somewhere of mod's/templates/etc with product numbers so I put a list together of "parts" that define a site? Or, is there a menu where you pick one from column A and one from column B?
              See, the things is you have two options,

1. Go for VB 3.8.5, then you there are many free/commercial readymade styles available which you can install/purchase. You can browse VBulletin.org for all the hacks you may need and install yourself/hire someone to do so,

2. If you Go with VB4, you won't find too may custom style options. That is because of the new stylevar system as developers are wary to put in effort into something which may change drastically in the near future. Sure some styles (here at vbulletin.com and also at vb.org) are available but they are not much different from the default. The advise with the hack part remains the same.

And No, afaik Vbulletin does not undertake custom styling and Modding. If you purchase, you will only get the default software.

Comment

Hello Sadikb,
                When I said it is in a foreign language, I meant that it is almost entirely vbulletin techyspeak. I don't understand the terms. I designed my logo with photoshop and illustrator using google videos. It took me several days to navigate the toolbars and learn the program specific descriptors. Thats what I meant.

vbulletin.org
                I went to the vbulletin page that you referred me to. The page is so jam packed with information that I'm sure the audience is vbulletin tech users not newbee's.

Thank you for the 3.8.5 recommendation. Your reply was very helpful and reassuring.

Tim

Comment

Well, i am sure you can navigate through photoshop much quicker now than previously. It's the same with any software, there is a learning curve but it gets easier with time. There are some very useful articles, Mods, threads at vbulletin.org, it will pay to invest the time and go through them if you wanna stick with vbulletin.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X