Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting from IPB3

Hello, Im thinking to convert to vB4 my IPB3, but I have some questions:

1 What I can convert? Users, messages, profiles, avatars... all and not for example the modifications, downloads...
    2 I decided to convert, next what? I have to do changes? I have to modify things? I have to use the Impex, no?
    3 In the future, there will be bugs, or database erros? Or will be like a new vB but with the users and the messages?

Thanks!
    sigpic

vB staff rarely reply here. Yes you'll have to use Impex.
    Please read: ImpEx Import System , Using IMPEX to import phpBB3 to vB4

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I think that a good idea is test this before I do it with my forum, but the problem is that if I want to this I have to buy :S
      sigpic

Comment

I would seriously wait. At this moment IPB3 is far much more bug free than vB4. Going from IPB3 to VB4 is not a good move ... at this point. I think more users are going the other way ...

Comment

Originally posted by kyrgyz View Post
          vB staff rarely reply here.
          Since when? :-/
          What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

Originally posted by terabyte View Post
            I would seriously wait. At this moment IPB3 is far much more bug free than vB4. Going from IPB3 to VB4 is not a good move ... at this point. I think more users are going the other way ...
            You say that because you are a member of ipb staff I believe. And that is not true that IPB 3 is far much more bug free than vB4. If I remember it correctly ipb released one version after the other within weeks of releasing ipb 3. And it is also not true that more users go to Ipb than the other way around.

@TheMac, Vb 4 is a very stable product and youa re making the right choise.

Comment

You say that because you are a member of ipb staff I believe.
              You can believe what you want. I'm a customer here with three licenses, not a staff or in any way affiliated with IPB.

VB4 and the latest realease of 4.0.2 have stil many problems in regular use. And yes, for the time beeing IPB3 is more bug free. VB4 will probabaly catch up soon, but I would advice him to wait 3-5 months.

That's my opinion and you can have yours ....

Comment

Going from IPB3 to VB4 is not a good move ... at this point. I think more users are going the other way ...
                Check out this site using vB Suite 4.0.2: http://www.maxconsole.net

(I copied the link from Licensed Customers forum).

Nicely done on a medium sized board with over 1 million posts. To me it looks way better than blocky IPB with IP.Content. And works just fine.

I suspect that many of new vB converts to IPB are there because they are unhappy with the new licensing structure, especially those with multiple licenses.

Originally posted by Razasharp View Post
                Since way back when... Seriously, vBulletin Pre-Sale forum almost gets neglected by the staff. I see them posting more replies in Chit-Chat than here. Compare this to IPB Pre-Sale forum. One good thing though, vBulletin's is tolerant to freedom of expression. It's ok to pinpoint weaknesses and critisize here (IMHO, this is quite often abused by users here). IPB prescreens your posts in its Pre-Sale forum, and their users behave more like students in the school principal's office.
                Last edited by kyrgyz; Fri 5th Mar '10, 10:35am.

Comment

You can believe what you want. I'm a customer here with three licenses, not a staff or in any way affiliated with IPB.

VB4 and the latest realease of 4.0.2 have stil many problems in regular use. And yes, for the time beeing IPB3 is more bug free. VB4 will probabaly catch up soon, but I would advice him to wait 3-5 months.

That's my opinion and you can have yours ....
                  Sure, everyone is entitled to their own opinion

But I don''t think it is ethical to discourage potential customers from buying vbulletin and trying to steer them away towards ipb.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMac View Post
                    Hello, Im thinking to convert to vB4 my IPB3, but I have some questions:

1 What I can convert? Users, messages, profiles, avatars... all and not for example the modifications, downloads...
                    2 I decided to convert, next what? I have to do changes? I have to modify things? I have to use the Impex, no?
                    3 In the future, there will be bugs, or database erros? Or will be like a new vB but with the users and the messages?

Thanks!
                    Save your money. Vb4 sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by kyrgyz View Post
                      Check out this site using vB Suite 4.0.2: http://www.maxconsole.net
                      Now that's the best template design for vB4 I have seen, so far. Really really nice and smooth!
                      Last edited by Garamond; Fri 5th Mar '10, 6:31pm.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMac View Post
                        Thanks for the reply. I think that a good idea is test this before I do it with my forum, but the problem is that if I want to this I have to buy :S
                        Many used copies for sale in many places. You could even pick up a cheap 3.8 license to read the customer forums, that may be a good investment if you are considering a major change (IPB_>VB).

Originally posted by Razasharp View Post
                        About Christmas. And although it is getting slightly better, there is little interaction in the support forums.

Originally posted by borbole View Post
                        @TheMac, Vb 4 is a very stable product and youa re making the right choise.
                        I don't think I've ever seen this statement before. Although I've seen many regarding the instability.

Comment

Originally posted by Abomination View Post
                          I don't think I've ever seen this statement before. Although I've seen many regarding the instability.
                          It's obvious they are talking about forum not the suite unless you are saying vB3.8 is unstable.

Originally posted by anthonyparsons
                          The stupidity in all such statements, is that VB4 forum and blog are the 3.x version, taken out of tables and put into CSS and then only given a handful of additions. The CMS has been the new kid on the block and the one causing all the issues.
                          Last edited by kyrgyz; Fri 5th Mar '10, 5:26pm.

Comment

Hello terabyte I see you in IPB forums
                            I want to convert because I want to change, I like IPB and vB, also I have a vB license (expired).

I will think if I convert, because I have to see the bugs or the problems that can appear.
                            sigpic

Comment

TheMac,

Yes, after 4 years of beeing loyal to vB I had to try out IPB side by side with vB4 Suite just a few weeks ago. And as I suspected the experience is better with IPB, although if you are only using forums then it is "apple or oranges" - whatever you like better. Just after 2-3 weeks I'm convinced that vB SUite with its CMS system is not a stable and good product - at least not yet. Maybe in time we will see an improvement, but so for the quality manager for vB should really get fired or take another look how they are handeling the bug fixes and quality control. Seems like the versions released so for of vB4 aren't really tested - it's like the left hand don't know what the right hand do. It is a mess, and therefore my vB licenses will just wait for better times or will be maybe transfered to somebody else after I have made some more IPB tests.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X