Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I still buy VB3.x?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can I still buy VB3.x?

    I run a forum on 106owners.co.uk that is running on Vbulletin 3.8 - and I am setting up 4 more forums this week

    I don't particularly want to run VB4 - especially not on 106owners as it's a big site to migrate

    Can I renew my VB3 license on 106owners.co.uk and leave it on VB3.x?
    When will updates/support for VB3.x end?

    And can I buy a new license for VB3 or can I only buy VB4 now for the new sites Im setting up?

  • #2
    You'll have to buy the vb4 license, which allows you to use lower versions.
    s.molinari - I would like to ask all customers to definitely feedback issues with the software and be specific with the issues, but to basically suck-up what happened in the past and try to just look forward.

    Comment


    • #3
      cool

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by s0lidgr0und View Post
        You'll have to buy the vb4 license, which allows you to use lower versions.
        Why do you have to buy the new lisence may i ask.

        Comment


        • #5
          It has been explained many times before. Also 4.x is a completely different product.....or "new" i shall say.

          Comment


          • #6
            The licensing structure has changed, the new style license is required no matter which version of the software you want to run. However once bought, the license is genuinely "lifetime" for the version it pertains to...so buy a current license and you can run vB4 or vB3 for life, with full updates (well, the updates obviously only carry on until that version is EOL but the license never needs renewing for those versions).

            A new license would only be needed to run vB5.
            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

            TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

            Comment


            • #7
              I've just done this, and it is going OK, although a bit depressing to think that by the time I've got things as I want them, say 12 months, it will be time to move to VB4.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CFlower View Post
                by the time I've got things as I want them, say 12 months, it will be time to move to VB4.
                That time maybe vB5 Beta will be around...


                vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by CFlower View Post
                  I've just done this, and it is going OK, although a bit depressing to think that by the time I've got things as I want them, say 12 months, it will be time to move to VB4.
                  I asked about support and licensing in another thread.

                  If you are worried about support for 3.8.x discontinuing, you don't have to: 3.8.x will be fairly well supported for a good while, although feature updates will not be available. Security updates? 3.8.5 is supposed to be out in March. You can also still open "helpdesk tickets" with vBulletin for 3.8.x.

                  When 4.1 becomes available, support for 3.8.x will be ramping down a bit, but a vBulletin staff person mentioned that they still offer some level of support even for 2.x, so I'm no longer worried that I'll have support for 3.8.x for the duration.

                  If I was starting a new forum and wanted to use vBulletin 3.8.x for it, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a license. Hey, when 4.1 does come out and you like it more than 3.8.x, you can always upgrade then.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    So it's £173 for the VB4 with CMS edition - which is a LOT of money compared to my old VB3 licence and vbcmps
                    But that's lifetime now? So there is no option for the 12 month licence?

                    That's a very silly decision if you ask me - I've got 4 more forums I want to start but I'm not sure they will take off - I want to just "trial" them for a year
                    This new license model mean that if the other 4 forums don't take off - I've wasted nearly £800 of money on "lifetime licenses" for sites that don't exist

                    Time to look for an alternative to vbulletin I think!

                    EDIT: In fact after thinking about it - it makes much more sense now for me to launch new sites/clubs on PHPBB and see how it goes and if in 6 months it takes off I can use the export/import tools to migrate them into vbulletin
                    I miss being able to just pay £70/80 for a year to be honest!

                    Comment

                    widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X