Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooper
    replied
    Just kills me what the hosts consider "serious hardware" for a dedicated box. Duel chips (1000Mhz) and a gig of ram just don't cost that much anymore. I built a serious server last year that my workstation this year just blows away.

I see some hosts that charge monthly for adding a stick of ram an it just urks me to no end.

Leave a comment:

• George L
    replied
    Originally posted by Arsenik
    Thanks alot for the informations .
    no probs

Leave a comment:

• Arsenik
    replied
    Thanks alot for the informations .

Leave a comment:

• Kaizen
    replied
    yeah.

10gb has been more than enough for me.

Leave a comment:

• George L
    replied
    Originally posted by Arsenik

Could you tell me the monthly transfer package you use? Would 5 to 10 gig of montly tranfert be a good starter?
    i have a www.venturesonline.com dedicated server

dual p3 866
    768mb ram
    18gb scsi
    100gb/month

Leave a comment:

• Arsenik
    replied
    You are right i wont but i am just trying to figure out the prices involved (forum, hosting and so on) and was wondering the montly tranfert a popular forum like eva2000's was using. I saw on the forums that a decent forum would take about 1gig of tranfert and i am trying to get as mutch info. about it. so that i am well prepare for when i get a forum.

Leave a comment:

• The Prohacker
    replied
    Arsenik,

Eva2000 has his own server to himself with I think 50 gb of xfer.. But starting out, you won't use near that much db.....

Leave a comment:

• Arsenik
    replied
    Originally posted by eva2000
    You mean my 600MB database...? not if you have the right server hardware running it - here's my vB which contains the 600+ MB database http://animeboards.com/index.php?s=
    Could you tell me the monthly transfer package you use? Would 5 to 10 gig of montly tranfert be a good starter?

Leave a comment:

• George L
    replied
    Originally posted by tubedogg
    Martin's board has a 3GB database and his runs just fine. It's on some serious hardware but it runs fine.
    yup Martin's at VO witha dual p3 933 with 1 or 2 gb ram i believe

Leave a comment:

• Kaizen
    replied
    yeap

Leave a comment:

• DooM
    replied
    Originally posted by eva2000
    You mean my 600MB database...? not if you have the right server hardware running it - here's my vB which contains the 600+ MB database http://animeboards.com/index.php?s=

Its on VenturesOnline right ?

Leave a comment:

• tubedogg
    replied
    Martin's board has a 3GB database and his runs just fine. It's on some serious hardware but it runs fine.

Leave a comment:

• George L
    replied
    Originally posted by DooM
    Is there any slowdown on a forum that big ?

Leave a comment:

• DooM
    replied
    Is there any slowdown on a forum that big ?

Leave a comment:

• The Prohacker
    replied
    We had a UBB back a year and half ago, that was roughly 5 gb in size... That poor server was being kicked 24/7......

A 600mb db is nothing.....

Leave a comment: