Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If a member wishes to delete their account...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Oh View Post
    No worries, here's another useful link that's relevant:

http://www.forumdr.com/who-owns-forum-posts/67/
    Thanks for it!

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Originally posted by The Oh View Post
      I thought this thread would be useful for admin/owners as these member requests are likely to happen, is there another suitable spot?

As you state, you do not honor requests to delete threads/posts, but if you did, is it easy to delete them?
      As for the first part, there is a section called "Managing your Community" - but I'm not sure what the access rule on that forum is. I think you should be able to see it and post there. Well anyway... that would have been a better place to discuss this.

As for the second part, it's very easy to remove a single member's posts using the AdminCP option "Prune" under the "Threads & Posts" menu. It doesn't take long to run unless you have a very large forum and the user in question has a large volume of posts/threads.
      To be updated...

Comment

i would have no issue deleting an account if it was asked, however i might not remove the posts that is unless the post had personal information in it.

i would require proof that the request came from the account holder aswell.

Comment

Thank you all for your responses and I will let you all know what transpires !

Comment

Originally posted by ENF View Post
            As for the first part, there is a section called "Managing your Community" - but I'm not sure what the access rule on that forum is. I think you should be able to see it and post there. Well anyway... that would have been a better place to discuss this.

Thanks, this thread has more relevance post purchase and I have asked for it to be moved.

As for the second part, it's very easy to remove a single member's posts using the AdminCP option "Prune" under the "Threads & Posts" menu. It doesn't take long to run unless you have a very large forum and the user in question has a large volume of posts/threads.
            This was Admins response:

Ok ONCE AND FOR ALL

The information below is all 2nd hand information, meaning you have at no time physically approached me to comply with your requests.

1. you asked for your account to be deleted.
            2. we complied
            3. meaning we DELETE YOU , and just you as per your REQUEST
            4. you then kick up a stink threatening this that and the other. I messaged 4 people who know you to get your mobile number, no one had it.
            5. you cannot PRUNE a deleted persons messages. ITS FOOKIN IMPOSSIBLE
            6. had you had the balls and decency to approach me personally, by any means possible and asked:
            STEVE MATE PLEASE DELETE ALL MY POSTS AND THREADS AND ME...

I would have PRUNED YOUR POSTS and THREADS !
            Then deleted you !

Thats the system, no ifs no buts no comprofooknmise. I cannot go in and individually find every one of your friggin posts and threads and delete them one by one !!!!!! As AUTO prune is NOT available to be used on DELETED users !!!! Which we did initially as per your request.

If your posts and threads are that important, feel free to COMPLAIN to VB , GOD, Lawyers whomever you like.
            Cos I sure as **** am not gonna spend weeks upon weeks of sifting thru a deleted members POSTS and THREADS thru our database which is over 800 meg !!!

FFS.

Now nip onto Purchase vBulletin, the most powerful forum software available.

Ask to speak to Steve Machol or Zachery, tell them exactly what I HAVE STATED here, and get them to advise HOW to do it !.
            If it can be done via a Mysql query to delete particular posts and threads then please advise the individual posts and threads that you require deleting.

To enable this to be done correctly, you must give more valid reasons than "delete my threads and posts" You will need to tell me which posts and threads you want pruning, ;-

Format:
            Link to the thread/post you want removing ( not just an approximate but the exact post url )
            Reason why you want it deleting.
            We will look at the individual posts/threads by clicking your links, and decide if they indeed need / warrant deletion.
            Posts and Threads of yours account for some 6000 individual posts, which when combined within the forum "thread" system, will have an adverse affect on the forum, its thread integrity and could result in 6000 + posts affecting many 10's of thousands of other intertwined and linked "quoted" and "replied" threads.
            Your posts are not important enough to cause the system to crash.

If you feel strongly about legal issues, then please dont go posting these things on Facebook, indeed be a man of your convictions and actually engage legal counsell , get advice and be logical about what you are asking.

No one has forced you to post on the forums, the forums are within the public domain, and our rules of joining and posting are freely available to non members to read.

STEVE

The moral of this from my perspective is be careful what you post and for all Admin /Owners make absolutely sure you have a concise set of forum rules especially when any member wishes to leave and request deletion of posts and threads.

HTH

Richard
            Last edited by The Oh; Thu 4th Mar '10, 4:14pm. Reason: Highlight

Comment

Oh, wow.... lol.

Yes, Prune and Delete [posts/threads] would have been a prudent idea prior to deleting the user account.

Well, in light of this post, I think we'll stick with just disabling a user's account vs. deleting it just as we have been doing in the past.
              To be updated...

Comment

Without this descending into a Crap Fest.

The OH was one of our senior moderators.

The story/history behind all this is indeed quite simple, he began belittling other members. His actions were edited by an admin. As per normal forum ettiquette.

He spat the dummy, and demanded his account to be deleted immediately.

Our forum policy is quite straightforward, and so is our Account Deletion Procedure. It is also PUBLIC meaning he at anytime can afford his goodself of forum policy rules and what he signed up for.

The message he quotes above, is indeed from me. He has not embellished it, I stand by my remarks. He fails however to also copy and paste the crud he has been posting on facebook, also messaging fellow moderators to gain some support in his quest, and fails to mention "suing" us as a site.

Well he has my address, we have complied with his initial wishes.

Seems like members who demand to be deleted, then ask for all posts and threads to be deleted, have little if no respect for other members who have supported their posts and threads over the time it took to create 6000+ posts.

A thread is just that, a fine line of cotton knotted and laced every couple of inches and serialised by posts.

Remove a post within that thread, the cotton can snap.

We will not delete your threads/posts it is a publically available policy on the forums. We will not bow down to threat of being sued. We have discussed this at length with other forum owners and Marco over at VB.org.

I note from this thread you have been again snidely gathering support for your issue, before even contacting me.

You have my email(s) Mobile number, you have even been to my house.

What can I say.

Forum Owners , please take heed from this, when a disgruntled member decides to "sue" you and your forum, when there demands arent met, we like the police, will not cave in to written terrorism. !

Steve
                Owner Founder of AustraliaBound.org

Comment

@TimberFloorAU,

I can appreciate your comments as a forum administrator and co-owner. We as the vBulletin community did not intend to take sides, we simply answered the inquiry as requested.
                  To be updated...

Comment

Mate thats cool, I was just airing our position.

All members/mods/admin to me are equal, we all share common goals, and a common "venue"

However what totally annoys me is the underhand method, ex-members will go to.

We shall be implementing new policy over the next 24-72 hours, and Not accepting requests to be deleted. Unless actioned by law enforcement, court of justice or legal advice.

We shall though, be instigating a new member group, Suspended.

This will sit in the space betwixt Deleted Members and Banned Users.
                    The synospis of which, a member can request to "leave" the forum. We will shift their member group to Suspended, which can be revoked similary to Banned members at any time. However without the stigma of being banned. I am sick and tired of answering umpteen posts as to why a member was banned, just to explain that they havent done anything wrong, just wanted to leave.

Seems the ideal solution, and gives gravity to assisting members like "the OH" who then wish to have messages pruned.
                    I doubt very much such members realise the amount of upset time and confusion, it causes having to enter phpmyadmin and try and sift thru their posts and delete them. We have actually done that and removed any posts with personal info, but impossible to check all ! As only a mysql search now will display a deleted members posts and threads.

Steve

Comment

Just sent to us from one of your Facebook Fans: What more can I add that you havent already added. Your request appears to be a joke, so does your threats, so does this thread... again... I rest my Case:

From facebook:

12 hours ago....

Talk about a Forum Owner being 'wound up' Yet he had my mobile...still

Guys be very careful when you join any forum and consider the consequences of what you post as it may come back and bite you !

I should have 'pranked' him on radio instead ;-)

6 hours ago...

Richard ********** Well, well, well, belittling and snidey ! That's Rich ;-)

He has now shown his real colours. It's a pathetic response. And a crude attempt to belittle yours truly as an aggrieved mod, derrrrr ?

You draw your own conclusions. I really don't give a rats about my posts and threads being deleted. But if anyone else wanted to delete theirs, this is the kind of response you could've ended up with. ... See more

How can an egoist that is so far up his own arse respond to a contributor of 6000 posts ? This was not a personal attack on him, simply to raise an issue. However, he has made it personal, and in my humble opinion he needs to get a life and give up being consumed by their own importance.

Words To Live By..........

GO and PRUNE

My job is done !

If a member wishes to delete their account......

Comment

So it appears : He never wanted to have his posts and threads deleted.

Guys add this "thread starter" to your SPAMMERS list !

Comment

I don't think its a great idea to air this out here. Fair enough defending yourself in a post, but I'd leave it at that.

Those that throw their toys out of the pram requesting all their posts are deleted get a big fat "no".
                          My Twitterings

Comment

I pm'd Zach a hour or so ago, asking that VB step in and close the thread. I dont use facebook, so cannot respond to this guy.

Comment

TimberFloorAu,

Sounds like this guy is off his rocker.

Guys be very careful when you join any forum and consider the consequences of what you post as it may come back and bite you !
                              That's sage advice for any situation. Not sure why it took him 6,000 posts to come to that conclusion.

Comment

Nail and head Feldon !

Exactly my point. Also why when I havent fallen out with him, does he go round every other site he can locate and whinge on, to moan about our policy ... rather than come on our site and use sendmessage or email or txt me about his issues, that it now appears HE NEVER HAD

Farsical !

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X