Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If a member wishes to delete their account...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • If a member wishes to delete their account...

    If a member wishes to delete their account...together with all their threads and posts/profile can it be done by admin? How easy is it to erase all of the above? What if the forum owner refuses to do this request, What course of action can the member take?

    Hi Folks, I was a Moderator of a Forum who uses your latest iteration and I left for sunnier climes. I have requested to have all the above removed and have now met with resistance citing forum rules which at best can be misconstrued.

    I guess this can happen with any forum owner and I would appreciate your response from an admins point of view faced with a similar request, and the legalities to retain personal information without permission.

    Hope this makes sense and I do hope I have not opened a can of worms.

    Richard
    Last edited by The Oh; Wed 24th Feb '10, 1:10am.

  • #2
    This isn't really the forum for this.

    The requested operation can be done but its up to the owner and their policies.

    Personally, we do not honor requests to delete threads or posts because a member wants to leave the forum. We can disable the account so that it may not be used again, but that is as far as we go. We will however remove personal information from posts if it is deemed to be posted without due regard for all parties involved.

    Legalities all depend on where the forum is hosted, which I believe in most cases falls upon the country and locality of where the physical servers are hosted.
    To be updated...

    Comment


    • #3
      th eproble with such an option is say John and Jane have a fight and Jane hacks Johns forum account even worse John is a super mod or admin. if Jane wants she can delete his account and ban him from the board

      Comment


      • #4
        Why do you need to have them remove all your posts? If you don't want to go back on there, then why not just leave?

        If there is something on there that you didn't want to be on there then you shouldn't have posted it in the first place really.

        Removing all of your posts from their forum will make all the threads you have posted on sound stupid as anyone who has replied to you, or after you will not make sense anymore. Hardly fair to their other users is it?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ENF View Post
          This isn't really the forum for this.

          The requested operation can be done but its up to the owner and their policies.

          Personally, we do not honor requests to delete threads or posts because a member wants to leave the forum. We can disable the account so that it may not be used again, but that is as far as we go. We will however remove personal information from posts if it is deemed to be posted without due regard for all parties involved.

          Legalities all depend on where the forum is hosted, which I believe in most cases falls upon the country and locality of where the physical servers are hosted.
          I thought this thread would be useful for admin/owners as these member requests are likely to happen, is there another suitable spot?

          As you state, you do not honor requests to delete threads/posts, but if you did, is it easy to delete them?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Phoenix9794 View Post
            Why do you need to have them remove all your posts? If you don't want to go back on there, then why not just leave?

            I have left and have requested all my posts to be removed, I'm sure I'm not the first person in forumland to request this and wonder why there's a reluctance to carry this out?

            If there is something on there that you didn't want to be on there then you shouldn't have posted it in the first place really.

            I'd have never posted then....Yes, it must have been relevant then and now its irrelevant

            Removing all of your posts from their forum will make all the threads you have posted on sound stupid as anyone who has replied to you, or after you will not make sense anymore. Hardly fair to their other users is it?

            Now that isn't fair, but life isn't fair is it? But now I can see it from the forum perspective and I appreciate your reply, however if I insisted my posts and threads to be removed, would you yield? After all their not your posts and threads, but they are parked on your forum.

            Comment


            • #7
              I have it in my site rules that I will not delete a members posts at all, unless they contravene site rules. Otherwise I would have people asking for things removed all the time.

              In fact they did at one time, hence my rule.

              Comment


              • #8
                We have it clear in our rules when people join, that we do not delete users posts and accounts on demand.

                See this: http://www.forumdr.com/would-you-del...n-request/152/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Phoenix9794 View Post
                  I have it in my site rules that I will not delete a members posts at all, unless they contravene site rules.
                  You may do it in your country.
                  In another country you are required to remove them by law.
                  Last edited by beishe8; Wed 24th Feb '10, 1:45am.


                  vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
                    You may do it in your country.
                    In another country you are required to remove them by low.
                    What country is that? I have never heard of that law before in any country.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by birdie View Post
                      What country is that? I have never heard of that law before in any country.
                      Germany.


                      vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by birdie View Post
                        We have it clear in our rules when people join, that we do not delete users posts and accounts on demand.

                        See this: http://www.forumdr.com/would-you-del...n-request/152/
                        That is an excellent link for both parties to read. The compromise is also in my opinion fair and equitable

                        Thank you very much birdie

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
                          Germany.
                          Would you have any links to this please, I'm interested to find out how long it has been in force etc.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by The Oh View Post
                            Would you have any links to this please, I'm interested to find out how long it has been in force etc.
                            I'm not German,don't speak German.
                            Please wait for a while,some of the members from Germany might be kind and give you the links.

                            Edit: Reading one of the German members' post seems it is not the deleting of posts, it is about removing a member from the forum.
                            If a member wishes to be removed from the forum than the admin has to do it.
                            Sorry for the misinformation.
                            Last edited by beishe8; Wed 24th Feb '10, 2:24am.


                            vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
                              You may do it in your country.
                              In another country you are required to remove them by law.
                              Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
                              I'm not German,don't speak German.
                              Please wait for a while,some of the members from Germany might be kind and give you the links.

                              Edit: Reading one of the German members' post seems it is not the deleting of posts, it is about removing a member from the forum.
                              If a member wishes to be removed from the forum than the admin has to do it.
                              Sorry for the misinformation.
                              No worries, here's another useful link that's relevant:

                              http://www.forumdr.com/who-owns-forum-posts/67/

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X