Uh, I have a domain... What now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh, I have a domain... What now?

Need a server I guess? Then what? Do I need to buy an OS for my server, and other applications on top of my vB license?

Once I have that, do I need to download then upload all that to my remote server?

I have no idea whatsoever, I was hoping I could just "click here and you will have your blank vB board at www.blahblah.com" or somesuch...

HELP!!!

You'll need to select a host to host your files. You'll get a dozen recommendations, but select the one that's for you. Then you'll download your vb files, upload them to your new host, and configure your board.
    s.molinari - I would like to ask all customers to definitely feedback issues with the software and be specific with the issues, but to basically suck-up what happened in the past and try to just look forward.

Comment

Originally posted by s0lidgr0und View Post
      You'll need to select a host to host your files. You'll get a dozen recommendations, but select the one that's for you. Then you'll download your vb files, upload them to your new host, and configure your board.
      Sounds easy enough. I think I've found a place to host my board. So all I need is my vB license? What are the "system requirements" for the server? Anything I should know?

I'm thinking of renting a VPS at serverboost.com since they are in the Netherlands. Can you tell just by looking at their products web page if they are adequate for such needs? They're here: https://www.serverboost.com/whmcs/cart.php?gid=9

Comment

Right, I read the sticky, so now I know about the system requirements.

What about actual hardware requirements? I'm considering a small Intel Core 2 Duo, 1gb RAM dedicated server to run a brand-new board. This should prove sufficient at first?

Comment

If it's a new site then even a shared server will do. You do not need a vps for a small site.

Read this thread in regards to what you need in order to run vbulletin

Once your site grows you can then upgrade to a vps at a later stage.
          Last edited by travelbug; Mon 22 Feb '10, 12:30pm. Reason: added link
          Come join us at General Forum

Comment

Originally posted by travelbug View Post
            If it's a new site then even a shared server will do. You do not need a vps for a small site.

Read this thread in regards to what you need in order to run vbulletin

Once your site grows you can then upgrade to a vps at a later stage.
            Well thanks very much for the advice! I read that thread, thanks. I'll go for a cheaper setup, I don't need to be wasting my money on performance my few members won't use when I can spend it on skins and stuff to make the site more user-friendly.

Now how difficult is it to install the required PHP and MySQL and then vB? Is there a tutorial for this? These server people are offering to do it all for me, for a not insignificant sum, but I get a feeling it's little more than upload PHP, upload SQL, upload vB, then issue 3-4 commands and that's it... Is this something which someone with general computer skills but no experience with remote server management can handle?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt76 View Post
              Now how difficult is it to install the required PHP and MySQL and then vB? Is there a tutorial for this? These server people are offering to do it all for me, for a not insignificant sum, but I get a feeling it's little more than upload PHP, upload SQL, upload vB, then issue 3-4 commands and that's it... Is this something which someone with general computer skills but no experience with remote server management can handle?

Thanks
              The PHP and MySQL Portion should already be there if it's a shared hosting service. You just need to make sure they offer up PHP5 and/or know that they can support a vBulletin 4 site. (Assuming you're installing VB4) You'll need to upload the forum software to a folder on your new site, update the conifg.php with the MySQL user name and password (port and address as well, if necessary). Then you can run the install.php script provided that the host has configured everything else correctly. Good luck.
              To be updated...

Comment

Use WebHostingTalk.com as a sanity check before getting any web hosting. If you find an inordinate amount of complaints about any one company, you can save yourself the hassle.

Comment

I use **********.com and they come free with PHP 5.2 & SQL already ready for you to use- notice I said free. That way you have very little to set up and it's quite easy to run. I have my own vb up there so I know anyone can get theirs running there as well.

Comment

'**********'

Comment

Ugh... Shoot me a message at tridentsblue [at] yahoo [dot] com for assistance. Has become obvious that I can't do anything from here.

Comment

I've not found a host that charges you to set up the OS, php and mysql... That should be a standard part of the package.

Comment

Originally posted by orion72956 View Post
                          Ugh... Shoot me a message at tridentsblue [at] yahoo [dot] com for assistance. Has become obvious that I can't do anything from here.
                          Your posts got blocked probably because you are recommending a low-quality blacklisted webhost. I could be wrong, but the blacklists are used sparingly.

Web hosting for a starting forum should be about $9-15 a month.

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
                            Your posts got blocked probably because you are recommending a low-quality blacklisted webhost. I could be wrong, but the blacklists are used sparingly.

Web hosting for a starting forum should be about $9-15 a month.
                            I'm going with a dedicated which is costing me like $150 a month, I guess it should be sufficient. Provided, that is, that Webhostingtalk can let me activate my account to check on this company...

Comment

I went with serverboost.com and right now I could not be more satisfied with them.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X