Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almost ready to pull the trigger and get VB 4.0 Publishing Suite. Need more info

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Almost ready to pull the trigger and get VB 4.0 Publishing Suite. Need more info

    I am going to start digging around the forums on moving to VB Suite but I might not find the best threads.

    While I search can anyone point me to some really good threads on the following.

    I am going to try and find how long it has taken people to get up and running.

    How about moving from smf 1.14

    Going to try and find things that can go wrong with the install and getting started.

    Going to try and locate install directions and see how scary this is.

    Can you point me to some good threads on this?


  • #2
    You probably won't be able to see many threads unless you have a license, I dunno though for sure but any way.

    1. About 15 minutes to install including uploading

    2. About 30 minutes to run the impex script

    Lots of things can go wrong, from server misconfiguration to user error.

    There are no install instructions or other documentation for vBulletin any more.

    Comment


    • #3
      There are no install instructions? Oh no...that can be a deal killer right there.

      I paid to have my smf forum built. I was going to try and do this myself but this is dangerous as I am a novice.

      If there are no instructions I cannot attempt this.

      I will have to shop for something else.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jonsidneyb View Post
        There are no install instructions? Oh no...that can be a deal killer right there.

        I paid to have my smf forum built. I was going to try and do this myself but this is dangerous as I am a novice.

        If there are no instructions I cannot attempt this.

        I will have to shop for something else.
        Here you can find the instructions. If you will run into difficulties during the installtion/convertion, just ask here or at vbulletin.org.

        http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by nforums View Post
          You probably won't be able to see many threads unless you have a license, I dunno though for sure but any way.

          1. About 15 minutes to install including uploading

          2. About 30 minutes to run the impex script

          Lots of things can go wrong, from server misconfiguration to user error.

          There are no install instructions or other documentation for vBulletin any more.
          Do the permissions stay intact?

          From what you are saying if everything goes right I could have the members posting in the new forum in 24 hours?

          Comment


          • #6
            There are install and upgrade instructions included in the download as well as online in the docs and in the cms.

            Impex (our import software), does not map permissions because its impossible to map permissions 1:1 from the remote software to ours. Its better to not import any and let you reconfigure them then guessing and maping some but not others.

            Comment


            • #7
              If you are worried then maybe you can pay the staff here to install it for you.
              Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

              Comment


              • #8
                Install guides are good.
                It's just a shame that once you have installed you'll most likely run into numerous problems unless you want your site to look exactly like this one and are not too worried about fundamental flaws in the software.
                See post #49 by IJeffers
                http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...11#post1927011
                Sums it up!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by nforums View Post
                  2. About 30 minutes to run the impex script
                  You are probably little too optimistic. My 150k posts forum converted few hours. And it was preceded by try and repeat process on test server, until we learned how to fight problems when transferring our phpbb forum with all whistles and bells. Finally - production transfer was not longer than 24hrs. But not 30 minutes (if it is not 100 posts forum).

                  ps. To OP - use google search instead of built-in in site:vbulletin.com. Search is not perfect and you will get better results with google here.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by RadioErewan View Post
                    You are probably little too optimistic. My 150k posts forum converted few hours. And it was preceded by try and repeat process on test server, until we learned how to fight problems when transferring our phpbb forum with all whistles and bells. Finally - production transfer was not longer than 24hrs. But not 30 minutes (if it is not 100 posts forum).

                    ps. To OP - use google search instead of built-in in site:vbulletin.com. Search is not perfect and you will get better results with google here.
                    Jerry has done massive imports in a short period of time. I've done at least one half million post import with the right setup in 30-45 min. Impex is only as fast as you configure the mysql to be.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                      Jerry has done massive imports in a short period of time. I've done at least one half million post import with the right setup in 30-45 min. Impex is only as fast as you configure the mysql to be.
                      I believe it is possible. Especially for person living form conversions. Do not believe someone doing it for his own forum, first time ever will manage do do it so fast, and w/o any problems.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        zachery, i think raido is correct here.


                        @nforums why do you always make negitive posts and give out the wrong information?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mike Anime View Post
                          @nforums why do you always make negitive posts and give out the wrong information?
                          lol, whats negative about my post this time? Nor do I think there is any wrong information in my post?

                          There is no documentation for vBulletin 4.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Here is my SMF forum http://edcforums.com/index.php

                            Here are the stats.

                            434238 Posts in 34893 Topics by 17652
                            -------

                            Hmmm, does VB support shortened links?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I am scared to death of messing something up but I am going to do it. This is how I scratch out a meager living and I don't want to mess it up.

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X