Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vBulletin CMS vs. Joomla?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • vBulletin CMS vs. Joomla?

    Hi all,

    I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with both Joomla and the new vBulletin CMS suite. I ask because I just tried the Joomla demo (with the mock-up site you can edit) and I was wondering if the vBulletin CMS editor is any better or different? I'm pretty new to all of this in general so maybe all CMS control panels are pretty much the same, but I found it a bit disorienting at first the way you have to edit things with Joomla.

    If anyone could shed some light on this I would appreciate it.

    Thank you,
    -Kirovek

  • #2
    I've had experience with Joomla and just spent the past hour using VB demo. The CMS seems to be pretty similar. The one noticable difference is Joomla uses an external forum program where these guys have the CMS and forum integrated. A plus for total uniformaty. i just noticed one down side, with all the bells and whistles VB has they utilize a 3rd party spell check.

    Comment


    • #3
      Comparing mature CMS with VB CMS is just funny.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by RadioErewan View Post
        Comparing mature CMS with VB CMS is just funny.
        For a senior member your comment is not informative or pruductive. I have no idea what you are talking about maturity wise or how that applies to the differences found in either VB CMS or Joomla CMS.

        Comment


        • #5
          I think for a community purpose i think Vb with CMS is just a great combination and joomla CMS is just for noobs and if you want to buid a community that you have to integrate some external forum in it so i think it rather a wrong decision ...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Autopilot View Post
            For a senior member your comment is not informative or pruductive. I have no idea what you are talking about maturity wise or how that applies to the differences found in either VB CMS or Joomla CMS.
            OK, Joomla has years of history and development. Huge developers base, and goodwill. Most pitfalls passed. GIGANTIC mods base. You can create any type of website using Joomla.
            I can not implement even simple "Valuable threads" frontpage in vBCMS, as comments have to be located in only one forum. Have to use columns design (no possibility to create modules across two columns in grid - eg footer). No way of using advanced taxonomy. No support for languages other than English (no UTF support). No multilingual support. No static pages. No community support. Have seen only one design different than ugly default variation. Show me something based on vBCMS advancet like http://demo.rockettheme.com/jan10/ This list is unfinished, some thoughts only. And it is not sarcastic.

            Regards

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by fluidswork View Post
              I think for a community purpose i think Vb with CMS is just a great combination and joomla CMS is just for noobs and if you want to buid a community that you have to integrate some external forum in it so i think it rather a wrong decision ...
              I whole heartly agree, VB has a lot to offer in one package. In the past few days I have been through many threads and spent hours playing with their demo (great promotional tool for sure) how ever the one thing that concerns me, being a noob is when the so called "senior members" reply like this guy did or in another thread someone was asking how to change the VB logo. He was told by another "senior member" to use search function and that will change it for him. http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...=1#post1921341

              I guess with all their experience they figure we noobs should know what they are talking about but that helpful hint makes no sense. I'd be concerned about paying for something which is in my 2 days experience worth every cent and what I'm looking for, only to be constantly baffled by criptic posts. Does a decoder ring come with paid membership?

              Comment


              • #8
                Forgot about search. vB Search is another epic fail.

                Comment


                • #9
                  kind of like windows, we keep paying good money for updates that are marganly better than the last version we paid for.

                  Trying "edit post" because I can,

                  SO the question for me is money. What they are asking for vB and what you say is "lack of maturity" compaired with other forum formats that are free that are more mature in development one wonders "why pay for something when the same thing is free"?

                  Mind you there are some features I found with vB that are very appealing but is it worth the expense?
                  Last edited by Autopilot; Tue 9th Feb '10, 10:55am.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The vb CMS is good if you are looking to create a forum and need minor CMS abilities to augment your site.

                    If you need a full fledged CMS (ie: if you need more than a way to publish news or simple content from your forum), then you need to look at Joomla and other solutions and then research the bridges that are available for the various forum platforms and see what options work best for you.
                    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      To be honest, I am very disappointed in vB CMS. It should be marked as candidate version, lacks many features. However I hope that one day we will see some intresting mods or styles dedicated for vB cms.
                      But today I can say: Joomla is much better than vB CMS.
                      http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/1708/sigwo.png

                      vBHELP.pl - Polish vBulletin Support

                      People want to believe that somebody really knows.
                      A world in which nobody really knows can be frightening.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        As of today, vBCMS falls short of any CMS I have ever used, but I needed a tight integration that I have not found elsewhere except vivvo.net which did not support vB4 at the time.
                        If I wasn't pressed for time, I probably would not have gone with vB's CMS.
                        Fast forward a year from now, I think it will be a different story.
                        ...steven
                        www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                        bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                        "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Autopilot View Post
                          I whole heartly agree, VB has a lot to offer in one package. In the past few days I have been through many threads and spent hours playing with their demo (great promotional tool for sure) how ever the one thing that concerns me, being a noob is when the so called "senior members" reply like this guy did or in another thread someone was asking how to change the VB logo. He was told by another "senior member" to use search function and that will change it for him. http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...=1#post1921341

                          I guess with all their experience they figure we noobs should know what they are talking about but that helpful hint makes no sense. I'd be concerned about paying for something which is in my 2 days experience worth every cent and what I'm looking for, only to be constantly baffled by criptic posts. Does a decoder ring come with paid membership?

                          You are right... and most of the senior members were not like this. A lot of people who contributed regularly to the forums and spent countless hours volunteering their time to help out members like yourself have grown disenchanted with the sheer volume of issues with the product, a lack of focus, a lack of support and continually broken promises to address and fix the issues. These problems have only grown because our concerns are not addressed by the company unless we bring it out in public. Their is a licensed customer feedback forum that is hidden from sight. Every issue we have is moved there where it is out of sight and out of mind. I'm not saying dirty laundry needs to be aired but at the same time, there wouldn't be a need to hide the forum if there weren't such systemic issues. This is not the type of response we, as paying customers who were urged to buy a product sight unseen on faith and trust in the company we've loved for so many years, are accustomed to. And that is about it in a nutshell.
                          Plan, Do, Check, Act!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra View Post
                            And that is about it in a nutshell.
                            Thanks for your nut shell and although I've only linked a few of these (there are lots of recent occurances) I still want a decoder ring if I buy this product.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by steven s View Post
                              As of today, vBCMS falls short of any CMS I have ever used, but I needed a tight integration that I have not found elsewhere except vivvo.net which did not support vB4 at the time.
                              If I wasn't pressed for time, I probably would not have gone with vB's CMS.
                              Fast forward a year from now, I think it will be a different story.
                              Too true. Now I think the best thing vB4+ has going for it is the integration. Even within Joomla there are integration issues--this mod won't work with that, but with this one, and only logins but no xyz, etc.

                              What people may be giving up (in the short term, at least) in terms of features, they gain in terms of integration.

                              I do wish there were more options in terms of third-party add-ons, esp. commercial ones. Links directories and review systems, for example. Ideally I would love to see some sort of app-bridge for Drupal, Joomla, etc so we could take advantage of some of those options.

                              Hell, not even that -- just a flexible user/login interface so that it would be easier for third-party stand-alone scripts to hand user management over to vB.

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X